What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - actually the darker commercial grade stuff is my favorite. Never really got the idea behind the real light stuff. It’s nice, but sucks on PC’s in my book.

I’ve had years when I was making a few gallons that I gave away the “good” stuff, and kept the dark syrup for us. 😎

If you ever get in a pinch, I can get you contact information for the young farmer that taps our woods. I could also get it and ship it out to you.

Now that he taps here I don’t make it anymore. He’s 2 miles down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
FCC394B9-0FBD-43AD-A247-2A11876B36E3.jpeg

Some banana bread this morning.

Will be making shrimp and crawfish etouffe for dinner

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ford..... I gotta see that!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - actually the darker commercial grade stuff is my favorite. Never really got the idea behind the real light stuff. It’s nice, but sucks on PC’s in my book.

I’ve had years when I was making a few gallons that I gave away the “good” stuff, and kept the dark syrup for us. 😎
That was us as well. We preferred the stronger flavor of the cooking grade anyway. We sold the light crap. 😂🤣😂🤣

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

If you ever get in a pinch, I can get you contact information for the young farmer that taps our woods. I could also get it and ship it out to you.

Now that he taps here I don’t make it anymore. He’s 2 miles down the road.
Oh, lets see. There's my buddy and his neighbor that make it. My cousin has a huge operation. And a friend of my moms makes it as well. Plus the guy who bought my dad's old house. He worked out a deal with the doctor who bought my grandparents farm across the road. So he's actually working our old sugar works.

We had a perfect location on my grandparents property. 3,000 plus taps on the side of a hill. So we would run tubing down to a landing with a good turn around spot to leave the gathering tank. We would run down to the landing each day with our old trailer behind the tractor or dozer depending on the weather. Pump the sap into the gathering tank on the trailer. Haul it up to the sugar house. Pump into the raised gathering tank that fed the arch. Then start boiling away.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh, lets see. There's my buddy and his neighbor that make it. My cousin has a huge operation. And a friend of my moms makes it as well. Plus the guy who bought my dad's old house. He worked out a deal with the doctor who bought my grandparents farm across the road. So he's actually working our old sugar works.

We had a perfect location on my grandparents property. 3,000 plus taps on the side of a hill. So we would run tubing down to a landing with a good turn around spot to leave the gathering tank. We would run down to the landing each day with our old trailer behind the tractor or dozer depending on the weather. Pump the sap into the gathering tank on the trailer. Haul it up to the sugar house. Pump into the raised gathering tank that fed the arch. Then start boiling away.

There’s some huge operations in Vermont. People don’t realize how much work 3,000 taps entails.

There’s folks up there and even down here with 20 or 30 thousand taps! Can’t imagine how they deal with it.

The farmer that does my woods is 1,000 plus. He has about 130 or so on our place.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
There’s some huge operations in Vermont. People don’t realize how much work 3,000 taps entails.

There’s folks up there and even down here with 20 or 30 thousand taps! Can’t imagine how they deal with it.

The farmer that does my woods is 1,000 plus. He has about 130 or so on our place.
We did 3000 taps once. That was a little too much work when it was just my dad and I doing the operation. And me in high school. There were quite a few nights that i was doing home work in the sugar house. And napping on a cot. We scaled it back after that to about 1,500 taps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW, you guys all I have a pot of marina sauce simmering onthe stove. Got the ravolis all ready ,so life is good this after noon

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sausage is thawing out, biscuits are proofing, and the iron skillet is ready and waiting. Ya know I will have Biscuits and gravy for the next week,,, its hard to cut back and cook just for 1, ahh well at least I wont have to worry about whats for breakfast for the next couple days,,, lol

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Local Italian/pizzeria place just started delivering.

For the first time almost 60 years I was able to get food delivered to my house!!

Woo Hoo! Pizza, wings, calamari.....good stuff!

Never has been an option in the sticks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The Mrs.’ Annual Pie Sale was at 30+ about the time it closed.
She got to 60 with late orders.
Pumpkin orders:

8E6AB59D-684C-4E13-92EE-DD2ABA006F15.jpeg

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Where do you guys get all this fresh sea food! I had tuna noodle casserole....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
pretty easy down here 😁
Of course not so much here.

We have a favorite restaurant supply that runs a grocery/party warehouse-type place. Caters to both food service and individuals.

An hour drive; we try to plan ahead and get seafood there, although frozen. Get there 3-4x/year.

Our usual grocery store also has a pretty good seafood section.