What's cookin' boys?

hamilcrf

Equipment
BH70
Oct 15, 2023
Colorado
Mom made manicotti everyone raved I wish I had X the recipe. She said they were creapes not pasta homemade of course. Anyone ever heard of this and a recipe for making the creape (shell) ?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This will be garlic beef enchiladas.

Will get topped with sauce and a little cheddar cheese.

IMG_6207.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
So I bought a bunch of Calimari steaks. I tried flour/egg/breading...that was a flop, the breading fell off.

It's been a while.

Today I chopped up several steaks into strips, then through the food processor... to the consistency of coarse paste.
I'll mix with diced clams, diced potatoes, breading (my own blend) eggs and the juice from the thawed Calimari. Then fry the patties in the skillet.

Edit-Sorry Mods, feel free to move my topic to "What's Cookin. Boys"

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Well, it held together, and not bad at all. With a couple more iterations, I think I may have finally figured this particular seafood out.

If the leftovers are worth eating tomorrow!! 😂

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So I bought a bunch of Calimari steaks. I tried flour/egg/breading...that was a flop, the breading fell off.
LOL...I thought it was some kind of beef and could not figure out why you would want to change a steak into paste...

But now I guess it is something else, like squid maybe? I will have to google it after posting.

I can say though if squid, I like mine very fresh and uncooked, as either sushi or sashmi...

Hey! Some of us do... :)

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Seafood is definitely enjoyed in our family. I never turn down trying something new. Preparing it, that's the tricky part.

Calimari is a seafood, that if not prepared correctly, can be like chewing on a piece of tasteless rubber, or dried leather. I think most prepare it by slicing it very thin, left raw and used more as a topping. On the norm Calimari is on the tasteless side and difficult to season. As in Sushi I have not tried it yet.

Squid and Octopus are very comparable in texture.

I described the texture of my preparation method, to pudding. The Calimari (a portion) was broken down into a paste form, as a binder. It seemed to work well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Posted before, but the Mrs. does a Pie Sale each Thanksgiving.

85 pies going out the door to support other families’ holidays.

Most she’s done.

She donates 100% of receipts to a community project.

Projects have varied from Town Swimming Pool to family whose daughter was murdered by significant other.

We don’t claim any donations as all are not 501(c)3 charitable. It’s important to her to contribute to our community.

I’ve always supported her effort. Bought 25 pounds of apples at the grocery store this morning.

Apple

IMG_6214.jpeg

Cherry

IMG_6215.jpeg

Punkin

IMG_6217.jpeg

Pecan
IMG_6216.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Posted before, but the Mrs. does a Pie Sale each Thanksgiving.

85 pies going out the door to support other families’ holidays.

Most she’s done.

She donates 100% of receipts to a community project.

Projects have varied from Town Swimming Pool to family whose daughter was murdered by significant other.

We don’t claim any donations as all are not 501(c)3 charitable. It’s important to her to contribute to our community.

I’ve always supported her effort. Bought 25 pounds of apples at the grocery store this morning.

Apple

View attachment 115822

Cherry

View attachment 115823

Punkin

View attachment 115824

Pecan
View attachment 115826
Respectfully, your wife, Sir, is a Saint. I love to hear about people helping people.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Respectfully, your wife, Sir, is a Saint. I love to hear about people helping people.
Thank you.

At $12 each, we cover the costs of the pies. There’s no “profit” involved.

Essentially her donation is nearly doubled in value in that we donate all receipts.

If I were still in the restaurant business, I’d go broke with this food cost arrangement…..😉

It’s been important to her. We can afford to do it, and it makes a lot of folks in our community happy.

That’s a great thing!🤓

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Seafood is definitely enjoyed in our family. I never turn down trying something new. Preparing it, that's the tricky part.

Calimari is a seafood, that if not prepared correctly, can be like chewing on a piece of tasteless rubber, or dried leather. I think most prepare it by slicing it very thin, left raw and used more as a topping. On the norm Calimari is on the tasteless side and difficult to season. As in Sushi I have not tried it yet.

Squid and Octopus are very comparable in texture.

I described the texture of my preparation method, to pudding. The Calimari (a portion) was broken down into a paste form, as a binder. It seemed to work well.
I love squid! Used to spend summers at Woods Hole and some of the science guys there used to do experiments with squid axons, which are really big. Rather than throw the rest of the squid away after the axon was removed they would bag them up and freeze. When there were enough for a feed for a bunch of us poverty stricken students we'd thaw and slice the mantles into strips, bread with flour and salt and pepper, and fry along with the tentacles for just seconds. Too long and they are like fish flavored rubber bands. Yum! The beer helped too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thank you.

At $12 each, we cover the costs of the pies. There’s no “profit” involved.

Essentially her donation is nearly doubled in value in that we donate all receipts.

If I were still in the restaurant business, I’d go broke with this food cost arrangement…..😉

It’s been important to her. We can afford to do it, and it makes a lot of folks in our community happy.

That’s a great thing!🤓
I made another store run this morning. Up to about 75# flour, 75# apples, 2 gallons corn syrup, 6 dozen eggs, 25# sugar, 20# frozen blackberries……

Takes a lot of stuff to make that many pies….😳

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Making pizza today.

This is a great pizza dough recipe from the Italian Catholic Church in our area.

IMG_6220.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
@RCW said:

"This is a great pizza dough recipe from the Italian Catholic Church in our area."

I thought Catholic and Italian were the same thing! The Archdiocese is in Rome, right! Not that Catholics can't be Irish or Mexican or Japanese or otherwise.

But what is an "Italian" Catholic church?

No disrespect, I'm curious and like to learn.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@RCW said:

"This is a great pizza dough recipe from the Italian Catholic Church in our area."

I thought Catholic and Italian were the same thing! The Archdiocese is in Rome, right! Not that Catholics can't be Irish or Mexican or Japanese or otherwise.

But what is an "Italian" Catholic church?

No disrespect, I'm curious and like to learn.
No sweat - I’m not even a good Methodist…. I promised to raise my kids Catholic. The Mrs. is Catholic.

Common in upstate New York, especially cities where railroads go through.

There’s often “Italian” and “Irish” Catholic Churches.