What kind of chainsaw you have?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
2 Stihl saws for me. I have a 20 year old 025 and a newer MS 291. Love both saws.
Had an 025 for years let my best friend use it and what would you know.

Someone stole it out of his locked shop and insurance got me an 026 Pro. Win Win for me still got it today, changed spark plug in it couple hours ago running little rough.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I've noticed a lot of guys run two saws. Last tree I dropped today went wrong bound the 362, the little 025 was very helpful. All is well.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Stihl 025 here. I bought it in 1990 and have cut 7 or more cords of firewood with it each year since. A bigger chain saw such as the farm boss would have been better but this one was all I could afford back then. It has made quick work of everything I cut with it, so it does the job.

One quirk that this one has though since day one. It takes exactly 10 pulls to start it when cold, almost every time. Once in awhile it just takes 9 pulls. It has always been that way though so I live with it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've had great luck with carbs I ordered off eBay which I believe came from China, identical to the orginal. It was actually cheaper than buying the rebuild kit and cleaning it myself.

She’s running much better, but not great. (Maybe I’m asking too much of an old trimmer...)
Since it came with a fuel line and filter, will change those out also. Fuel line doesn’t look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
She’s running much better, but not great. (Maybe I’m asking too much of an old trimmer...)
Since it came with a fuel line and filter, will change those out also. Fuel line doesn’t look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always a good idea to swap out the filter and fuel line while your at it, the lines can deteriorate over time and maybe throw in a new plug while your at it. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
We've been demoing the Dewalt battery saw at work for about a month now. Cutting poles and cross arms. Brand new hard green poles, new creosote poles, old cedar poles, old Douglas fur poles. Its worked pretty well. It's nice that it's quiet and requires no fuel and no warm up.
Over the last week or so, the chain has been coming loose often. Not sure why that's about yet. The 60v batteries last an exceptionally long time. Pretty cool piece. If I was invested in Dewalt tools personally, I'd own one for around the house.
I'm a Stanley Black and Decker (and Dewalt) employee and love their products. I have a Husky 257 modded up to a 262 for my big stuff, but I use my Flexvolt (60v) DeWalt saw for limbing and smaller stuff. I took a 26" oak down with my Flexvolt the other day, granted the battery was dead by the time I dropped it but it was able to do it without a problem! The husky has been a beast, takes a few pulls to start but once its going, it just runs perfectly, no complaints!

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Stihl 026 pro is my favorite saw but I run my Stihl 441 most of the time for firewood cutting and have a big boy backup for the big stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I'm a Stanley Black and Decker (and Dewalt) employee and love their products. I have a Husky 257 modded up to a 262 for my big stuff, but I use my Flexvolt (60v) DeWalt saw for limbing and smaller stuff. I took a 26" oak down with my Flexvolt the other day, granted the battery was dead by the time I dropped it but it was able to do it without a problem! The husky has been a beast, takes a few pulls to start but once its going, it just runs perfectly, no complaints!
We've been impressed with the one we've been using.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
Stihl 025 here. I bought it in 1990 and have cut 7 or more cords of firewood with it each year since. A bigger chain saw such as the farm boss would have been better but this one was all I could afford back then. It has made quick work of everything I cut with it, so it does the job.

One quirk that this one has though since day one. It takes exactly 10 pulls to start it when cold, almost every time. Once in awhile it just takes 9 pulls. It has always been that way though so I live with it.
Do you start it exactly as the instructions say?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Do you start it exactly as the instructions say?
Yes, I start it exactly as the instructions say, with the exception of one thing. I mix the fuel at 40:1 instead of the 50:1 that is recommended in the manual. I know that may make it a little harder to start but it should not be a 10 pull start.

I am not complaining at all. I cannot begin to guess how many hours it, but it is a lot, and it is still running like the day I bought it. I love that saw. It is still on the first bar. I go through about 1 chain per year, maybe less.

Anyway, if mixing the oil at 40:1 instead of 50:1 is causing the 10 pull start, I'll live with that. Just as a side note, I use only non-ethanol gasoline. I never use ethanol in any of my gasoline engines, never have, and never will. That is unless non-ethanol becomes totally unavailable.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
I don’t know if the extra oil would cause the issue, but I doubt it. Seems it would just make it smoke a bit more. I have let two people borrow my 025 before and both called and said the saw wouldn’t start. Once I explained the exact way to start it, they had no problem. We also have firefighters sometimes that don’t start it just right and they can’t start it. We have two 025’s, one MS280 and one MS290 on the department and they all run perfectly if you start them per instructions. If you’re runs as well as it does after all these years, I would not complain about the extra pulls either.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I think that mine may have something to do with not having a primer button or a decompression switch. In any case, it starts reliably after 9 or 10 pulls, every time. Been that way for 28 years now so if it starts to change it's behavior I will suspect that it is on it's last legs and consider getting another Stihl.

In case anyone is interested, I had a McCullough before this Stihl. I used the hell out of that chainsaw and it took all I threw at it. It had a 16" bar on it so it was smaller than I wanted. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine and he still has it to this day. He only cuts about 3 cords of firewood per year with it but he has no complaints. I don't know what the McCullough's are like today but back in 1984 when I bought that one, they were great.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
When I was a kid my dad always had McCulloch. Mom and dad bought me my 025 for whatever reason instead of McCulloch and shortly thereafter my dad got an 025. He never went back. He finally had to get a new MS250 because he broke the 025 in half.

99redgtp

Equipment
2018 L3560 (LA805, BH92)
Jul 7, 2018
Canaseraga NY
I have a 2yr old Stihl MS391 with a 25” bar running a skip tooth chain. I’m 6’2” and don’t like to bend over lol. And a Stihl MS170 running a 14” bar. I also have a Stihl HT101 pole saw. Got a couple mods done to the 170. The 391 is stock except for the bar and chain.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Stihl MS362 for the big stuff, MS241 for limbing and small stuff. I am considering an even lighter saw for limbing. I have pine and aspen so no huge limbs.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ms391 with 20 inch bar,ms193t in tree saw with 14 inch bar,km131 power head with string and brush heads,pole saw with extension,tiller head,stihl back pack blower and shredder/vac. The 193 is used the most,good power and very light. I almost had to replace it yesterday though. Was cleaning up and thinning out some trees in the yard, had the pole saw and both saws with me, dropped a twelve inch oak and used the tractor to pick it up and carry it to my spot where I usually cut them up and burn. Forgot I had the little saw in the bucket,luckily I seen it fall out before the tree came off!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Stihl MS362 for the big stuff, MS241 for limbing and small stuff. I am considering an even lighter saw for limbing. I have pine and aspen so no huge limbs.
The ms193t is awesome for limbing, I was originally looking for the regular ms193 but my dealer only had the 193t, was a bit skeptical but bought it anyways, now I rarely get the 391 out. I’ve even used it to drop trees bigger then the bar when I was too lazy to go back to the shed to get the big saw,no issues.