What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Question about exhaust tips. Is the rain cap better than the stock curved tip..and why? Obviously the curved tip allows rain into the exhaust, especially with a sideways driving rain. Does the water just sit there in the lower part of the exhaust or is there a drain hole? Only bad thing I can see is the rain cap can catch a limb more so than the stock exhaust. Been there done that!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Spring ops - FINALLY!!

Oil change, grease job, loader on. Will do some dirt work before MMM goes on (maybe July??)

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Question about exhaust tips. Is the rain cap better than the stock curved tip..and why? Obviously the curved tip allows rain into the exhaust, especially with a sideways driving rain. Does the water just sit there in the lower part of the exhaust or is there a drain hole? Only bad thing I can see is the rain cap can catch a limb more so than the stock exhaust. Been there done that!
If it's curved, and a good lateral rain which your prone to down there, you can still get water down the exhaust. With yours being a turbo, it can be more problematic since the water can cause rusting inside the turbo. Causing a premature failure. If the exhaust is horizontal with the bend facing down, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Another thing to consider is blocking the exhaust off temporarily when transporting between job sites. Wind will cause the turbo to spin, and with the engine shut down it doesn't get any lubrication. They sell a rubber cap that has a bungy on the end to cap an exhaust. Had a vender show up to the shop with them. It was a screw up, they were supposed to drop off some rain flappers. But it was a neat set up. Concept for it was that when you were hauling the equipment or done for the day, you can just slap it on and clip it to something near by :D I zip tie the rain flappers closed on my turbo units before hauling.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
If it's curved, and a good lateral rain which your prone to down there, you can still get water down the exhaust. With yours being a turbo, it can be more problematic since the water can cause rusting inside the turbo. Causing a premature failure. If the exhaust is horizontal with the bend facing down, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Another thing to consider is blocking the exhaust off temporarily when transporting between job sites. Wind will cause the turbo to spin, and with the engine shut down it doesn't get any lubrication. They sell a rubber cap that has a bungy on the end to cap an exhaust. Had a vender show up to the shop with them. It was a screw up, they were supposed to drop off some rain flappers. But it was a neat set up. Concept for it was that when you were hauling the equipment or done for the day, you can just slap it on and clip it to something near by :D I zip tie the rain flappers closed on my turbo units before hauling.
Daren, the exhaust pipe has a trap (like in plumbing) before it goes into the manifold/turbo area. The trap is at least 6" in height. Possible, but not likely the trap would fill up unless a hurricane comes through. I just started it up and a few droplets of soot/water came out the exhaust and settled on the hood and FEL arms. I do have a shortened exhaust that enhances that issue.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the wind (while hauling) would spin the turbo. Wouldn't everything from the turbo back to the air intake have to be open so the air could flow through thus causing the turbo to spin?

Mark

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's good to know on the trap. Shouldn't have much of an issue with moisture. Green motors are notorious for bad egr valves and turbo gates freezing up do to moisture. On the turbo, it really doesn't take much to get it spinning. Quick test, next time your topping the air up on your tires. Blow some air down the exhaust and see if you've can here the turbo spin. I've been able to get them to spin just from using a blower nozzle on an air line when changing out a muffler.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
That's good to know on the trap. Shouldn't have much of an issue with moisture. Green motors are notorious for bad egr valves and turbo gates freezing up do to moisture. On the turbo, it really doesn't take much to get it spinning. Quick test, next time your topping the air up on your tires. Blow some air down the exhaust and see if you've can here the turbo spin. I've been able to get them to spin just from using a blower nozzle on an air line when changing out a muffler.
No green motors for me! :D Will give the air line thing a try. May start putting a coffee can on top of the exhaust at the end of the day. Obviously I'm getting some rain in there since I get the soot spots on the hood/FEL when first cranked after a rain. I'm wondering how long it takes the exhaust to boil out the water if say there's an inch of water in the trap. What would you guess the temps get at the trap (a foot or so from the the turbo)?

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Got the retro designed ROPS for my L245DT. Working on getting it installed now. The "destructions" say the center arm will be set back a little with the ROPS installed. I just hope it is not a "little" enough to make me buy a shorter center arm. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Doesn't take long to boil it out :D your tractor mowing will have exhaust temps that reach upwards of 1300°f under a good load :D

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Got the retro designed ROPS for my L245DT. Working on getting it installed now. The "destructions" say the center arm will be set back a little with the ROPS installed. I just hope it is not a "little" enough to make me buy a shorter center arm. ;)
Good news on the retro ROPS. Hard to imagine running a machine without ROPS and seat belt nowadays. I have to admit I forget the seat belt sometimes, but trying to do better ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Aquaforce -

What the instructions try to tell you is that you will be removing the current place that the 3 point hitch attaches to (2 angled pieces with holes in them), then installing the ROPS in the same place, then installing the same 2 angled pieces back on top of the ROPS.

If your ROPS is like the one I got for my L185 it is rectangular about 2.5 x 3.5 inches. If memory serves me right, the 3.5 inches is the distance the ROPS will extend back to the implement. Therefore your top link will be about 3.5 inches closer to the implement.

A few hints for installing the ROPS -
Make sure it fits together well - mine had one side a little longer than the other so it needed to be persuaded a bit.

Ensure you understand which holes the long studs go into - I recall they go into the same bolt holes the angled pieces were bolted to. The instructions can be a bit confusing there.

Ensure the holes at the bottom of the ROPS are clean and spray some type of lube into them before starting the installation (or use some method to clean them/remove rust).

Leave all the bolts and studs loose as you can when installing the ROPS and get every bolt started into the tractor, insure they are started correctly and not cross threaded. (the lower ones are tough since you need to lift the ROPS to align the holes in the ROPS with the tractor - use a jack)

Leave the splice at the top of the ROPS loose also until you get it aligned. That was the secret to getting mine installed.

If you have a second person (or third) it will help. The thing is just too heavy and odd shaped for one person to handle. I did it by myself but had to rig some lifting slings to the top to hoist it and it does not lift at the right angle to easily install.

I ended up putting half on very loosely, then installing the second half and the splice plate and fighting to get it together. It can be done with one person, it just takes longer and it a bit frustrating.

I think I wrote a post about it and will see if I can find it and link it back here. Found it - see this link:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=51566#post51566

Oh - I did not have to do any mod to the top link for my implements but never really thought about it being "longer".

Last edited:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Saturday I started out by heading to the tractor store to pick up a block heater kit. When I got home I jumped on the tractor and started dethatching and sweeping my lawn. It gets so nasty under the snow. Hopefully this gives it a jump start and it'll grow nicely. I should really get the aerator out and run that around the yard too. Anyway, after that I moved some of my implements around and put them on pallets/skids in an attempt to keep them as nice as I reasonably can. I threw the scoop (I don't have a bucket) on and started learning how to use that. I've never used a scoop before, but after an hour or so I was filling that thing right up. My driveway has been a mud pit this spring (and every spring) so I was dropping the dirt/sand in there. I was at that for quite a while before I threw the back blade on to try to smooth everything out and get it where I wanted it. I could probably still spend another 10 hours at it and not fill it up enough to stop having puddles. But what are you gonna do. I'll get back on there some time. Not this week though. And not this weekend for sure. Maybe next week.
All in all, I put about 5 hours on it on Saturday.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I took little orang out and showed the lovely bride it was to wet/muddy to mow:rolleyes:

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I took off the snowblower, and graded the driveway a little.

Took off the blade, put in my trailer tower, and fetched my log splitter from the neighbor (thank you QUICK HITCH!!).

Then I put the grill guard and loader on, and hauled some trash.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmm a couch on the FEL going to the woods to cut fire wood,,, Now there is a man that takes his fire wood cutting seriously :D

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I called my dealer wanting to know where mine is.

Turns out it's still at the Port of Entry and they don't even have a firm date when it'll go on the truck.

Gah.

Patience is NOT one of my virtues...

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
aeblank, wow is your road in good shape it must be a lot warmer in Cadillac. Up here the ground is still frozen solid and the water won't drain off my driveway. I have been out trying to grade the high spots to fill the low spots and dig holes to allow the water to drain off the drive. I just have a fel with piranha bar no bh and I can't dent the ice. Maybe the rain today helped, I will try again.

Larry

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Seems hard to believe it would be much different here. In dry finally, but my brother, across town, has a soggy muddy mess for a driveway.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Skip44

Equipment
Jeeps, L2900, FEL, tiller, brush hog,post hole drill, rock rake
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Dry would be nice, heck even bare ground would be nice. Up here we still have snow and where the snow is gone we have mud.

Skip

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Noticed the ROPS is folded... don't do much good in that configuration!

Looks like the couch is being removed... otherwise it's off to be a land based coral critter reef... :D