Wagon attachment difficult to steer

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I have a pull behind wagon attachment hooked up to my mower. Backing up is very difficult because it turns unless you back up perfectly straight. All it has is a place for a single pin that attaches vertically to the hitch so there is a lot of movement. Has anyone here ever rigged up a similar wagon is such a way so it stays locked in line with the direction of the mower?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The shorter the wagon the more difficult to steer. The length between the hitch and the wheels is the factor in this. Although actually more maneuverable, center placed wheels are the hardest. The longer the wagon and the farther back from the hitch the easier to control. Anything that would lock the tractor in straight alignment would make the tires scrub when you turned. You would then need casters instead of fixed wheels on the wagon. How big is this wagon? Got a picture?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those types of trailers were always such a pain when I worked on the farm, and I don't know of a good way to ever get them to track with the tractor when backing up.
You would be a lot better off getting a single axle trailer with a tongue mount. ;)

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
It's a 3x5 wagon. There's at least a foot and a half legth on the wagon hitch. I'm trying to use it as a leaf catcher. Backing up is difficult to control and sharp turns nearly tips the thing over.

Here's a pic. It was taken in the fall so don't mind the halloween decorations.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The cyclone rakes have a hitch that attaches to the mower rear axle/transmission in two places so it can't jacknife when backing up. The catch is you'd have to change out your two trailer wheels for ones that swivel so the trailer can move sideways when the mower turns. Since yours is a small trailer that should be possible to improvise. Heck order the wheel sets from cyclone rake.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Make a trial tongue extension with a 2x4. Try different lengths, looking for the shortest that lets you back up OK.

Bruce

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a 3x5 wagon. There's at least a foot and a half legth on the wagon hitch. I'm trying to use it as a leaf catcher. Backing up is difficult to control and sharp turns nearly tips the thing over.

That's not a wagon, that's a trailer!
This is a wagon:

The trailer you have is about the easiest implement to maneuver with, that is unless you do as sheep farmer said and set it up like a cyclone rake.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

Another suggestion beside the longer trailer tongue is to put car trailer hitch ball on your tractor and then on the trailer tongue put the matching hitch.

In my family, with 4 brothers living in the area we adopted a 2" ball as our standard and the same on any trailer. lawn roller, boat trailer. Then you can borrow or move things around with your lawnmower when normally you would need your car. This style of ball hitch has no slop in it so backing up is easier.

Often I go to a local steel place and buy a piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" 1/8" wall square tubing. Bolt the hitch to the tubing and the tubing to the underside of the existing trailer tongue. In that way should you want to sell a trailer like yours, all you have to do is unbolt the square tubing and it is back to original.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It looks like from the picture that you are trying to catch the leaves from your lawn mower, and if so, then a rigid connection is helpful so that whatever collection tube you use is as short as possible and can stay the same length. Otherwise when you turn left it will come out of the wagon.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
solution: plan your work so you never have to back up.

You essentially have a double hinge at the hitch pin and again at the front axle. Yes, its tricky but it can be done. When I was a teenager, I was amazed at an old farmer that I worked for baling hay when I saw him back up a tractor with TWO hay racks hooked together (2 hinge points each!) and he successfully snaked them into the barn on his first try. I got to where I could do one but never 2.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
solution: plan your work so you never have to back up.
Either that or just unhitch it and back it up by hand. Our City clean up guys have an electric motor to back up their unhitched small trailer. It works great in their small yard but I don't think it would work well on turf.

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
I have a pull behind wagon attachment hooked up to my mower. Backing up is very difficult because it turns unless you back up perfectly straight. All it has is a place for a single pin that attaches vertically to the hitch so there is a lot of movement. Has anyone here ever rigged up a similar wagon is such a way so it stays locked in line with the direction of the mower?
maybe I'm stating the obvious, but you've got to steer the trailer in the direction you want it to go... steer the tractor in the direction opposite to what you want the back of the trailer to go... it takes a bit of practice, and as others have said, it is easier with a longer tongue. Also, minimize the slop, if any, in your hitch pin.

Pete

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have the identical trailer. Have to go very slow in reverse to steer it. My fife cant even back up a foot without jacknifing it.

Only solution , well theres 2
Move wheels to very back of trailer or lengthen tongue.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Like uglyboy said PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You'll be glad you learned how to do it!
He's also correct that on a two wheeled cart (or manure spreader, or hay baler, or anything of that nature to start the turn you steer so that the tractor starts in the opposite direction you want the implement to go. Want the cart to go left? Begin to maneuver the tractor right (but just a little). Once the implement just starts to turn then keep the turn gentle by turning the front wheels of the tractor back toward straight, maybe even a little more if necessary. Best way to start is to practice backing in a straight line out in the middle of the yard. You'll learn how to make little corrections to keep going the way you want.
Oh yeah.... if you have 4 wheel steer, turn it off while backing.
Now... 4 wheeled "wagons" are just the opposite. When backing the tractor must start to move in the SAME direction you want the wagon to turn. They're generally more difficult to back up.

Have fun!

M88A1

Equipment
BX25 w/BH MMM FEL, MX47 w/ FEL, Bushhog disk, bedder, pallet forks, hay spear
Dec 1, 2015
Bedford Indiana
Like uglyboy said PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You'll be glad you learned how to do it!
He's also correct that on a two wheeled cart (or manure spreader, or hay baler, or anything of that nature to start the turn you steer so that the tractor starts in the opposite direction you want the implement to go. Want the cart to go left? Begin to maneuver the tractor right (but just a little). Once the implement just starts to turn then keep the turn gentle by turning the front wheels of the tractor back toward straight, maybe even a little more if necessary. Best way to start is to practice backing in a straight line out in the middle of the yard. You'll learn how to make little corrections to keep going the way you want.
Oh yeah.... if you have 4 wheel steer, turn it off while backing.
Now... 4 wheeled "wagons" are just the opposite. When backing the tractor must start to move in the SAME direction you want the wagon to turn. They're generally more difficult to back up.

Have fun!
Steering is the same for all trailers Long or short. Yes backing up a short one is a pain. But just apply the KISS methodology. when you jack knife just pull forward and start over. if you don't get it after a couple hours, just park the lawn tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CMU,,, that wouldnt be Carnegie Mellon University would it :confused:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In this neck of the woods, I'd bet on Central Michigan U, but could be a lot of things...:confused: