trailering a BX2360, front or back on first

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
Just to ask, what folks find works best loading a bx on a trailer, I picked up a 5x10 aluminum trailer. so would be loader and box blade hanging off it to save room. to give an idea of length

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Could be either way - try it both and see where the axle loading and tongue weight comes out, and that is how it is going to be properly loaded.

However that said, properly loaded on the trailer may mean two much overhang either to the front or the back, that is one of the problems with a short trailer, and it is not acceptable to overload one axle or the tongue to "get the proper overhang", the only situation in that case is to get a longer / different trailer.

Depending upon which implement I have on my own L3200, I load it either way to get the proper loading.

David

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
Just to ask, what folks find works best loading a bx on a trailer, I picked up a 5x10 aluminum trailer. so would be loader and box blade hanging off it to save room. to give an idea of length
I always feel safer driving forwards off the trailer. (So back it on if possible). A lot depends on how confident you are about the ramps. Its pretty scary backing off a tailer with dodgy ramps.

Ky Kubota

Equipment
'13 BX2670, FEL, 60" MMM, Land Pride RB1560 rear bladeLand Pride RTR 0550 tiller
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
With FEL and rotortiller on my BX2670,, I'm around 13'6",,,I load on a 12' trailer right now, but roll the bucket down and place it on the tongue of the trailer and it works out ok,,,if I pull a lot,,I'll be investing in a 14' trailer just to keep it all inside. Can't turn to tight with bucket on tongue,,hits bumper of the truck. :eek:

Trailer I use is tandem axle with full drop gate on rear, I load forward only.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd strongly reccomend you get atleast a 14 foot long trailer or long if you have a loader and a box blade on your BX. Its way to dangerous to have things hanging off the deck of the trailer, plus the hassel of flagging it to legally haul the tractor. Not to mention if you get plowed into the rear end atleast the longer trailer will save on impact and hopefully not damage the tractor.

I've got a tandem axle 16 foot long trailer I carry a B6100 on and sometimes I'm out of room.

jb62901

Sep 8, 2009
Cassopolis, Mi. SW Corner Mi.
The tractor comes in just over 1300 lbs, loader a little over 350lbs. not sure on the BB give or take 350lbs. Your right at 2,000lbs I did the same as you. I now have the 14' tandem with brakes, much more stable an safer in my mind. JMO.

Ky Kubota

Equipment
'13 BX2670, FEL, 60" MMM, Land Pride RB1560 rear bladeLand Pride RTR 0550 tiller
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
While we are on the subject of trailers,,,,what brand do you have?? I've looked at Gatormade, beast of a trailer, look to be very well built, but to wide to try and get into my 9' garage door. Looked at BigTex also, not near as heavy built as the Gatormade, but a bit narrower to get inside garage door.

Both have brakes, tandem axles, drop gate, LED lights. I can get either in 14' or 16'.

I've got a single axle 5x10, that has no hope of getting my tractor on. No way to carry it with MMM on at all.

Thanks

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Wow, with all these comments no one mentioned the post important thing about this. You don't load so the center of gravity of the load is behind the axle(s). If you ever are stuck with such a load and didn't have an accident, you were just plain lucky. Regardless of stuff sticking forward or back, this requirement governs.

Ky Kubota

Equipment
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
I pull with a crew cab dually and a tandem trailer,,I probably load a little tongue heavy but it doesn't really affect me.

You do need to have more weight forward of the axles, whether it tandem or single axle. Tail heavy trailers are a danger and hard to handle.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Wow, with all these comments no one mentioned the post important thing about this. You don't load so the center of gravity of the load is behind the axle(s). If you ever are stuck with such a load and didn't have an accident, you were just plain lucky. Regardless of stuff sticking forward or back, this requirement governs.
I did address this in the very FIRST post in fact. I discussed proper axle loading and tongue weight. You will not have proper tongue weight if the load center is behind the rear axle.

I even mentioned that it was NOT ok to ignore this to get the proper overhang.

David

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
While we are on the subject of trailers,,,,what brand do you have?? I've looked at Gatormade, beast of a trailer, look to be very well built, but to wide to try and get into my 9' garage door. Looked at BigTex also, not near as heavy built as the Gatormade, but a bit narrower to get inside garage door.

Both have brakes, tandem axles, drop gate, LED lights. I can get either in 14' or 16'.

I've got a single axle 5x10, that has no hope of getting my tractor on. No way to carry it with MMM on at all.

Thanks
I've owned a Carry-on trailer since new in 1999 and in the last 15 years I haven't had one single problem with it. The only one minor set back was a design flaw on their end and Carry-on was new to trailer building at the time. When they ran the wiring for the trailer lights, it was placed between the frame rail and deck boards. Needless to day I had to rewire the trailer but not that big of a deal.

In the last 15 years I've hauled alot on the trailer and couldn't be more happy with it.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
A quote from earlier post: However that said, properly loaded on the trailer may mean two much overhang either to the front or the back, that is one of the problems with a short trailer, and it is not acceptable to overload one axle or the tongue to "get the proper overhang", the only situation in that case is to get a longer / different trailer.

David: I'm sorry to differ, but the average guy (me included) would interpret "overhang" as the stuff that sticks out beyond the bed. That says nothing about where the center of gravity is or should be positioned. Maybe we should define what center of gravity is.. Center of gravity is the place on the tractor where one can assume all the weight is located. You can have a long piece of steel "overhanging" out in back, yet the center of gravity might be forward of the axle. Also "proper tongue weight" means little if you don't say 10%, 20% or what percent of total weight. The "Why' also should be spelled out. I have found that to avoid dangerous sympathetic bouncing of the trailer frame and load that, at times, very little tongue weight is required. Yet with this combination the load rode the best, not meeting any 10 or 20 percent rule for the hitch load.

The main requirement in regards to what hangs forward or rear, is that there should beno center of gravity positioned rear of axle(s) regardless of what sticks out front or back. I find that by driving back and forth on the trailer, while checking what the tongue does (tends to go down or up) tells me the center of gravity is on the axle(s) midway between the "up or down" hitch motion. Then, going slightly forward to the tie down spot works best. Note: this is regardless of what sticks out forward or rear. At times it is necessary to take the tractor off and reverse to properly meet this test. I wonder how the average guy can set his position to, say put 10% on the hitch. I like my method better.

Getting into the subject of what is "overhanging" confuses the meat of properly positioning the load itself. The two are not directly related. To properly position a load you maybe forced to have "overhang". A different trailer is hardly what the reader wants to be forced with. Maybe take off an attachment and place it in the truck bed.

The clearer we can be in our wording, the easier it is to explain things. Use of words that can not be confused is a challenge when not knowing all the readers. I certainly did not see the explanation in the first post as telling the weight position story as intended due to using "overhang" wording as the stuff of prime concern.. Locate the best position first and then worry about "overhang".

Ky Kubota

Equipment
Nov 8, 2013
Berea, Ky
Just solved my door width issue with trailer size,,,,,put a bigger door in!!! :D

I'm building a new home and we poured the basement today,,so had them put in a 10' notch for door,,planning on storing trailer inside, under house, out of weather.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
A quote from earlier post: However that said, properly loaded on the trailer may mean two much overhang either to the front or the back, that is one of the problems with a short trailer, and it is not acceptable to overload one axle or the tongue to "get the proper overhang", the only situation in that case is to get a longer / different trailer.

David: I'm sorry to differ, but the average guy (me included) would interpret "overhang" as the stuff that sticks out beyond the bed. That says nothing about where the center of gravity is or should be positioned. Maybe we should define what center of gravity is.. Center of gravity is the place on the tractor where one can assume all the weight is located. You can have a long piece of steel "overhanging" out in back, yet the center of gravity might be forward of the axle. Also "proper tongue weight" means little if you don't say 10%, 20% or what percent of total weight. The "Why' also should be spelled out. I have found that to avoid dangerous sympathetic bouncing of the trailer frame and load that, at times, very little tongue weight is required. Yet with this combination the load rode the best, not meeting any 10 or 20 percent rule for the hitch load.

The main requirement in regards to what hangs forward or rear, is that there should beno center of gravity positioned rear of axle(s) regardless of what sticks out front or back. I find that by driving back and forth on the trailer, while checking what the tongue does (tends to go down or up) tells me the center of gravity is on the axle(s) midway between the "up or down" hitch motion. Then, going slightly forward to the tie down spot works best. Note: this is regardless of what sticks out forward or rear. At times it is necessary to take the tractor off and reverse to properly meet this test. I wonder how the average guy can set his position to, say put 10% on the hitch. I like my method better.

Getting into the subject of what is "overhanging" confuses the meat of properly positioning the load itself. The two are not directly related. To properly position a load you maybe forced to have "overhang". A different trailer is hardly what the reader wants to be forced with. Maybe take off an attachment and place it in the truck bed.

The clearer we can be in our wording, the easier it is to explain things. Use of words that can not be confused is a challenge when not knowing all the readers. I certainly did not see the explanation in the first post as telling the weight position story as intended due to using "overhang" wording as the stuff of prime concern.. Locate the best position first and then worry about "overhang".
Good points, I am making the assumption that a person has a basic understanding of vehicles, trailers and physics (as we all learn in Jr high, or least they try to teach us) or has read the owners manual or paid attention the multitude of stickers on the actual trailer itself, which means that I left some basic stuff out. Which is really on me I guess, but then it seems if I ramble on too long about all the minutia then some people loose interest in further reading. Hard to deal with this, really between a rock and a hard place as some on here want a one line answer to solve complex issues that might require many paragraphs.

I think you may be a bit more like me though, and want all the information and not afraid to take the time to read thru all of the information :)

I guess I assume that as built, at least in the case of a regular manufactured type of trailer that unloaded it will have 10-15% of the weight on the tongue, and when properly loaded, that same 10-15% of the tongue weight would not change -

IE a 1000 pound trailer unloaded would have 100-150 pounds on the tongue, and the same trailer loaded at say 4000 pounds would have 400-600 pounds or so on the tongue. Given this basic rule if you will, it would be impossible to have the weight center behind the rear most axle.

And as you have pointed out, occasionally you have to differ from the recommended, although if you are getting a rhythmic gyration of the trailer tongue properly loaded, then most likely the trailer tongue is either to weak (flexible) or you have just the right combination of trailer wheelbase and tow vehicle wheelbase to set this harmonic up. Up to model year 97 Ford S/C trucks with the 155 inch wheelbase are famous for this, and no dissing meant, I have had several, but the later trucks have a slightly longer wheelbase which stops much of the harmonics. Has also to do with the length of the concrete pads as poured on the original hiway system as well.

Overhang is a term as used in the transportation and policing industry and is regulated by a particular states laws. Or, if not directly addressed at the state level, then by the federal rules, either general or commercial depending upon the use of the powered unit and trailer(s)

It is hard to communicate on here at times, not only is there the difference between how individuals perceive and understand words, there is also the local slang as well, sorta like soda, pop, cola or supper, dinner vernaculars as used in different parts of the country....

David

Last edited: