Trailer Shopping

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Keep in the 16 foot range anything longer and you'll have a bear of a time keeping it stable with a 1/2 ton. ;)

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I have the swivel type trailer tongue jacks at the back corners of the trailer for loading.

Just remember to raise them before you move......:D

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Well the Trailer issue has solved itself. I had forgotten about a Tandem axle trailer frame I gave to a friend several years ago. He just gave it back for free (same price he paid). It needs a deck and more than likely new tires. But for the most part it should work and the price is right.

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
I have the swivel type trailer tongue jacks at the back corners of the trailer for loading.

Just remember to raise them before you move......:D
They call those drop leg jacks, they are great for loading heavy equipment into a trailer.

If you don't have those then you must block the tires on the front of the truck, and or trailer. Heavy stuff will load the rear of the trailer pulling up on the hitch and will raise the tow vehicles rear wheels off the ground (that's where the brake is and where the P in park locks up) balance it just right and the tow vehicle and trailer go for a uncontrolled ride with you on it.

A good trailer will not only last longer and be safer, trust me when having to tow it will greatly reduce your stress as the operator and that's priceless.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I looked real hard at a tilt trailer. My problem was not being able to load things on the front then load the tractor last. If it was just for hauling the tractor a tilt bed would be the only way to go. By the way, nice looking rig you have.

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
New here and didn't want to start a new thread as this one is already on my topic.

I don't even have a tractor yet, but I'm pretty set on a B2601. Will that tractor with FEL fit on a 12' tandem axle trailer? Or do I need a 14'?

I ask because my truck fits in my 40' long shop comfortably with 16' to spare between the front bumper and the back door. I want to leave my trailer backed up to the back door when not in use. So I know a 16' trailer is out of the question. A 12' will be the best for fitting inside closed doors, but will a 12' tandem axle trailer be able to fit and safely haul the B2601 with the FEL attached and lowered to the trailer deck?

If not I could probably angle a 14' trailer in the shop when I park it and still be able to pull my truck in all the way. But parking at an angle inside a shop starts to take up floor space and block off corner storage.

Last edited:

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
New here and didn't want to start a new thread as this one is already on my topic.

I don't even have a tractor yet, but I'm pretty set on a B2601. Will that tractor with FEL fit on a 12' tandem axle trailer? Or do I need a 14'?

I ask because my truck fits in my 40' long shop comfortably with 16' to spare between the front bumper and the back door. I want to leave my trailer backed up to the back door when not in use. So I know a 16' trailer is out of the question. A 12' will be the best for fitting inside closed doors, but will a 12' tandem axle trailer be able to fit and safely haul the B2601 with the FEL attached and lowered to the trailer deck?

If not I could probably angle a 14' trailer in the shop when I park it and still be able to pull my truck in all the way. But parking at an angle inside a shop starts to take up floor space and block off corner storage.

sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Not sure on the B2601 with front end loader length. I can suggest that although its a bit of a pain the trailor tongue can be lowered all the way to the floor using the tractor FEL or a floor jack. This of course depends on the type of jack on your trailor, the type that pivots sideways and stores horizontal is ideal. This can save a couple feet of space.

Keep in mind that fitting the tractor on the trailor is one thing. Having it balanced from front to back of the trailor for proper tongue weight may require a bit of spare trailor space. Different attachments changes the balance also.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you plan on having a loader and hauling it with other implements attached you really need a 16'. Well let me back up, you better have enough truck to handle an extreme amount of tongue weight with a shorter trailer. You don't have a choice but to use the entire deck which makes getting a proper tongue weight all but impossible.

I say this assuming you plan to have a loader. If not then you can probably get by with a small trailer.

Just my $.02

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
My 2650 will fit in my 14' dump trailer with loader attached. If I have something on the other end I have to rest the loader on the front of the trailer where the tarp is. Picture is with box scraper on the rear.

sent from a field

matemike

Oct 15, 2016
Brazoria County, Texas
Thanks for all the responses everyone!
I don't plan on having any rear mounted implements, so just the tractor and attached FEL is all I'm concerned with. But I know how things change.

Sounds like the 12' really limits me. I've considered resting the FEL bucket on the front rail or to load the tractor on backwards resting the FEL on the rear deck. That should be the lightest tongue weight with the engine and FEL on the back of the trailer, right? Or is this a no no?

Those are about my only options. Seems like a 14' might need to be considered and I'll just have to finesse it back into position in the shop after every time I use it. Or just park it outside. I know utility trailers are built to live outside, but I'm particular and try to take care of everything I own if possible. In the case I leave the trailer outside I'd just get a 16' or 18' trailer and have no worries. All things considered though, I'll probably use whatever trailer mostly for just hauling odds and ends and rarely use it to haul the tractor, but have it for the rare occasion the B2601 needs to go to the service shop or whatever. Family dreams are to own some more property one day and I might need to use a tractor there if we ever did find something.

I have a 1500 Sierra crew cab with 6.2L gas engine. It has plenty of pulling power, but the payload is a little light being a half ton truck. Manual says it can haul a 10,400 lb trailer with 1,100 lb tongue weight. I'm thinking the trailer, FEL, and tractor, even with loaded tires, would weigh less than 5,000. Probably closer to 4,000. I feel I could keep the tongue weight of a 5,000 lb 12' trailer around 500 lbs. (10% rule)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks for all the responses everyone!
I don't plan on having any rear mounted implements, so just the tractor and attached FEL is all I'm concerned with. But I know how things change.

Sounds like the 12' really limits me. I've considered resting the FEL bucket on the front rail or to load the tractor on backwards resting the FEL on the rear deck. That should be the lightest tongue weight with the engine and FEL on the back of the trailer, right? Or is this a no no?

Those are about my only options. Seems like a 14' might need to be considered and I'll just have to finesse it back into position in the shop after every time I use it. Or just park it outside. I know utility trailers are built to live outside, but I'm particular and try to take care of everything I own if possible. In the case I leave the trailer outside I'd just get a 16' or 18' trailer and have no worries. All things considered though, I'll probably use whatever trailer mostly for just hauling odds and ends and rarely use it to haul the tractor, but have it for the rare occasion the B2601 needs to go to the service shop or whatever. Family dreams are to own some more property one day and I might need to use a tractor there if we ever did find something.

I have a 1500 Sierra crew cab with 6.2L gas engine. It has plenty of pulling power, but the payload is a little light being a half ton truck. Manual says it can haul a 10,400 lb trailer with 1,100 lb tongue weight. I'm thinking the trailer, FEL, and tractor, even with loaded tires, would weigh less than 5,000. Probably closer to 4,000. I feel I could keep the tongue weight of a 5,000 lb 12' trailer around 500 lbs. (10% rule)
It's doubtful that your trailer with a tractor and loader on it is going to only have a 500lb tongue weight. In reality, it is going to be much higher because of having to put the tractor all the way to the front of the trailer.

old freddie

Equipment
B2920 with FEL, first choice GM30-60 finish mower, Kodiak 4'SD rotary cutter. Pi
Jul 6, 2016
Pisgah Forest, NC
My story is similar so I will share my response. I have not purchased a trailer yet but I did have to rent one to go after my B2920 with FEL I rented a 12' uhaul (the one that met the weight req) and hauled it over a hundred miles on different types of roads including interstate without any difficulty. I am interested in your research and how it turns out. I have very limited space to turn around and I put the implement in the truck bed.

poyjas

Equipment
B7100HST & B2650 TLB-LandPride grapple & 60"BB
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
My B2650 TLB on a 12ft aluminum ATV trailer. I figure it's right at the trailer's 4000lb gross rating. For what it's worth, it seemed tongue balance was ok and sure towed fine, but I'll try backing it on next time. See how that goes.

Attachments

Last edited: