Trailer Shopping

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
I am looking to purchase a trailer for the B2601. I am considering a single axle 3500# units. I do have concerns about it being single axle but I am towing with a half ton 6cyl truck so I am watching weight.

The question is does anybody use one of these style of utility trailers to haul a 1600 pound tractor plus implements? and how does it perform? Do any of you more experienced guys have an opinion on this?

instock_trailers1326407681-photo.jpg
instock_trailers1333812646-photo.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do not use a single axle trailer to haul equipment period!
Even with a half ton pulling it, your far safer using a dual axle!;)

Last edited:

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Your tractor is too heavy for that trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
I have a 16' trailer with a big mesh drop ramp, the trailer is the perfect size and holds the 2650 and attachments, you can find a nice used one on craiglist for around $1000, the mesh gate is not the best and makes it impossible to let a bush hog hang off the back

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
OK... this is the second time I've seen this here. (this spring) AND... I don't normally like to stir the pot... but you guys are a bunch of worriers.

A heavy single axle trailer, with brakes, is good for 3500 Lbs. The empty trailer probably only weighs 900 lbs. That means you have 2600 lbs available to put onto the trailer. PERIOD !!!!!!!!

Death wobble isn't from an overload. It's from being tail heavy. (that condition is painfully obvious in the vid above) AND... if you have functioning trailer brakes... all you need to do is reach down, and touch the controller. It will straighten you out. AND... a duel axle WILL NOT stop death wobble !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was younger (and dumber) we had a loaded 3 axle trailer got a wobble because is was loaded wrong, and we were trying to tow it with a Jeep Cherokee chief. We luckily got it under control, pulled over, and move the toys around. (a sand rail, dune bugy, fire wood, a couple dirt bikes, and Honda Odyssey)

A duel axle doesn't make things necessarily safer. It's not like you can drive around with a flat. Because of the rocker in the springs... you will still be dragging a rim/wheel if you have a catastrophic tire fail. If you want to add a real layer of safety... you need a "Dully" set up. (and they don't' do that with little trailers)

And finally... it's a pain in the butt to move a duel axle trailer. Especially if you need to put it in a tight spot. I can move a single axle by hand in my driveway. It pivots and rolls easy. Heck... even my loaded double jet ski trailer will move by hand. But you add that extra axle, and it won't pivot. SO, you have no choice but to get out something to move it with.

SO... to the OP... if that weight capacity is enough for your tractor and implements... and you don't need a bigger trailer for anything else... then save the $$$, and aggravations of a duel axle. But keep in mind, it may have a 3500 lb axle... but without brakes... it's only rated to 2990. So, do the math with the actual numbers, and make a decision. (and put a spare tire on whatever you buy)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it !

****EDIT***

to answer your question... yes... I pull my BX with FEL on a trailer like your bottom picture.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You get a trailer that fits your needs. Some folks use a single axle trailer and have no issues. With having one 3500lb axle. My little l1501 will eat up 2000 lbs as soon as the tractor is loaded. Add the bush hog, and there's another 500 lbs. So 2500 lbs, plus the weight of the trailer. Say 500lbs. So know your up to 3000lbs on the 3500lb axles.

Now, here's the million dollar question!! What are the tires rated for??? :eek: It's difficult to find a set of tires that small with the correct load rating to meet the axles rating. Most small trailers don't come with the heavy duty tires and are usually only rated for 2/3 what the axle is!! ;)

Then take into consideration what other implements you might need to haul, or want in the future. Are you gonna have enough space on the small trailer, and enough weight capacity to haul with out having to make multiple trips?

My l1501 fits comfortably on my 16ft dove tail with a bush hog, or finish mower. But, having to take a second implement eats up the rest of the available space.

If your just hauling the B a couple miles to the dealer on occasion and nothing else. Then you would probably be fine with the small trailer. But, adding anything else to the mix, and you'll be kicking yourself in the but for not getting the bigger trailer.

Granted, the bigger trailer brings up other issues like where to store it, and isn't as easy to push out of the way. But, I also find that my trailer gets used for more then just toting the bota around. The majority of it's use is hauling landscape material for my wife :eek: But at least the trailer cuts down on the multiple trips into town ;)

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Thanks for the replies,

I found dual axle landscape trailers for 1450-1800$. But searching craigslist I found this guy for $500.

00202_q9okXLzqAx_600x450.jpg

It is rather short but the price is right.

I agree being tail heavy in any trailer will cause sway. If I can find a Tandem in my price range I will go that way. I dunno if that short tandem in the pic would be a good one for me it is just to short. The 2601 with loader and tiller would be to long for it.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Ryan, I see you're towing your L2601 with loader and tiller now? Are the tires loaded? What about other implements in the future? Buying a "slightly larger" will never be a regret...but having something too small and overloaded? Definitely.

I agree with your direction to grab a legit landscape trailer with a little extra length for what you need "today". Add on a bush hog and you'll need another 2+ feet of trailer.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Dr Honda beat me to it on all the misinformation corrections. Looks like you're already heading in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with using a single axle trailer right up to it's load capacity, but balance is critical. Most single axle trailers are too short to have room for adjusting the CG so if your load isn't coincidentally balanced, you're going to be out of luck. I've had a few trailer tire blowouts when pulling tandem axles and it's really not a significant event. Unpleasant and expensive, but not particularly dangerous. If you have a blowout in a particularly hazardous location, you can still limp it along another mile or so at lower speed to find a good place to change it. The balance arm will not drop the dead rim so far that it hits the pavement. That safety factor alone keeps me using tandem axle trailers.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Add me to the list of tandem axle trailers.

Single axle trailers are great "utility" trailers for hauling stuff around.

A good solid tandem axle trailer with brakes all the way around is the only way to haul equipment.

I've never regretted having too much trailer.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I started out with a single axle trailer, it came with my 7100. It didn't take long to see I needed more trailer. The margin for error in balance is so small it's more trouble than it's worth.

Since you're already in the market for a trailer my advise is buy one that fits the bill and be done with it.

16' double axle with angle iron frame will be lighter than a tubing trailer if weight is a big issue. I would get one with brakes on both axles. You're already at a dis-advantage when it comes to stopping since you are towing with a half ton truck. I would also suggest ramps with the drop legs instead of one with a solid ramp. Even a small tractor with the right implement can mash the rear of a trailer to the ground while loading.

I had a friend run his truck into the back of his house while he tried to load his Yanmar. As soon as the rear tires pulled up on the ramps it lifted enough weight off the rear truck tires and away it went. A couple seconds cost him several thousand in repairs.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks for the replies,

I found dual axle landscape trailers for 1450-1800$. But searching craigslist I found this guy for $500.

View attachment 21874

It is rather short but the price is right.

I agree being tail heavy in any trailer will cause sway. If I can find a Tandem in my price range I will go that way. I dunno if that short tandem in the pic would be a good one for me it is just to short. The 2601 with loader and tiller would be to long for it.

Keep searching and you will find one. Just be prepared to pounce as soon as you see it though. You can find 16ft tandem axles for around $1,000. But the go like hotcakes. Be prepared to walk away from some as well.

When I was looking for mine. I lost 3 different trailers by hours and minutes :rolleyes: Was on the phone with one guy getting directions, and his wife texted him that she had just sold it :rolleyes:

Then my dad called and said he found two in his area. Drove 140 miles up to his place. And went looking. The first one, I told the guy he bumped his head. He was selling a 1970 something trailer. He re-decked it, but no working lights, the ramps looked like they had been run over by a steam roller, and most of the frame had rust, holes and rot that had been painted over. :eek:

The second one, was owned by an older gentlemen. Had a used car lot/ trailer sales. He had gotten rid of all the cars, but had 3 trailers left. He was looking to retire, and dropped the price by $600 :D Trailer was three years old, but had never been used. Picked it up for $900, then hit the tire store and replaced all the tires with the highest load rating I could get in that size :D So, I have $1,300 tied up in it :D

This is the l1501 and bush hog. You can see there isn't much room left :)

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I started out with a single axle trailer, it came with my 7100. It didn't take long to see I needed more trailer. The margin for error in balance is so small it's more trouble than it's worth.

Since you're already in the market for a trailer my advise is buy one that fits the bill and be done with it.

16' double axle with angle iron frame will be lighter than a tubing trailer if weight is a big issue. I would get one with brakes on both axles. You're already at a dis-advantage when it comes to stopping since you are towing with a half ton truck. I would also suggest ramps with the drop legs instead of one with a solid ramp. Even a small tractor with the right implement can mash the rear of a trailer to the ground while loading.

I had a friend run his truck into the back of his house while he tried to load his Yanmar. As soon as the rear tires pulled up on the ramps it lifted enough weight off the rear truck tires and away it went. A couple seconds cost him several thousand in repairs.

Always remember to chock the downhill front wheel, on a trailer, when loading and unloading equipment. It will save you a Missouri boat ride...

Here's 2 good lessons: https://youtu.be/3c4Z8MNmlA8

And the definition of a Missouri boat ride: https://youtu.be/t-KEnU9TBmQ

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't mean to rob the thread but since wheel chocks were brought up.

My son and I were sitting in the drive thru at McD's and his parking cable broke. Made me think it could have been all the same if we were out of the truck and this happened.

Any suggestions on quality chocks at a fair price?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

My son and I were sitting in the drive thru at McD's and his parking cable broke. Made me think it could have been all the same if we were out of the truck and this happened.

I prefer the hard rubber ones. You can get them at Walmart for $14 each. I have some plastic ones as well. But they tend to slide on hard surfaces.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA

Harbor Fright sells nice rubber ones for $7~$8 each.