Tractor Overheating

threeoaks

Equipment
L2800D
Apr 26, 2016
Charleston, SC
Have you tried any of the tests which I suggested to validate condition of the head-gasket sealing?
Bruce no issue at all starting the tractor it cranks fine. Also no white smoke out of exhasut.

Have not tried pressure check just yet. Is there a kit on Amazon you recommend sir?

I just purchased the combustion leak test kit online. Will be able to run that test in three days.

threeoaks

Equipment
L2800D
Apr 26, 2016
Charleston, SC
Take the radiator cap off and inspect the area inside the neck where the cap seal makes contact. Is it smooth or is it rough and pitted?
If you have overheated the unit before, it is probably melted or distorted and can not seal.
Under the cap is smooth. Should I buy a new cap just to make sure? Does a bad cap mean that you loose pressure?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Have not tried pressure check just yet. Is there a kit on Amazon you recommend sir?

I just purchased the combustion leak test kit online. Will be able to run that test in three days.
Check your local auto parts store, Advance Auto, Autozone and others typically rent tools for free. They typically have the radiator pressure tester that can be used to test the cap and the cooling system. At one point in time Autozone even carried the head gasket test kit that checked for combustion gases in the coolant.

If pressurizing the coolant system there is the risk of leaking water getting into a cylinder and causing a hydraulic situation when attempting to start. (Not good)

Example of loaner tools:
https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-equipment/loan-a-tools

Good luck!

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Threeoaks, many have suggested pressure testing the system. If your system does not hold pressure do not try to start the engine. The warning has been stated a couple of time of the possibility of bending rods. That's how they get bent....water in the cylinder and no place to push it and then trying to start/run engine equals a bent rod. Be cautious if your cooling system does not hold pressure.

threeoaks

Equipment
L2800D
Apr 26, 2016
Charleston, SC
Threeoaks, many have suggested pressure testing the system. If your system does not hold pressure do not try to start the engine. The warning has been stated a couple of time of the possibility of bending rods. That's how they get bent....water in the cylinder and no place to push it and then trying to start/run engine equals a bent rod. Be cautious if your cooling system does not hold pressure.
Roger that sir. I just purchased this:

Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V9L05G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iOwIDbS34NHK3

What is the pressure threshold I should look for?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Roger that sir. I just purchased this:

Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V9L05G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iOwIDbS34NHK3

What is the pressure threshold I should look for?
Your radiator cap should have its pressure rating on it. It’s most likely a bar rating. I checked mine and it was stamped 0.9 and which would be a bar rating and equates to about 13 psi. Pressurize your system to the rated cap pressure. If it loses pressure and there are no external leaks I wouldn’t try to crank it like others have said.

We use a borescope to look for coolant in cylinders at work.

threeoaks

Equipment
L2800D
Apr 26, 2016
Charleston, SC
Ran a combustion leak test and the fuild stayed blue.

Ran a static pressure test and went to 13psi and within 4 min the psi dropped to 10psi.

Ran a dynamic pressure test and there was no immediate or rapid pressure build up.

I then manually operated the pump to 13psi. After about 5 min the system built pressure to 17psi and held. The needle was moving a little on the pressure tester, but not rapidly.

Tested the cap pressure and it released once it his 13psi like it was supposed to.