Toothbar questions

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Hello, I just got a Bxpanded Piranha toothbar for my B2601 and had a couple questions.

Is it normal for the bottom cutting edge to not cover the bucket cutting edge? Mine is about an inch short.
In the package it came with two flat washers and a lock washer per side, but the bolt wasn’t long enough to actually get the lock washer on so I went without. Has anyone had issues of the bolts coming loose without a lock washer?

I want to be clear, the toothbar itself looks good, it’s heavy duty so no complaints. I called yesterday afternoon to ask and was transferred to someone else and just left a voicemail so I figured I’d ask about other experiences.

adding a picture of each side to show.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Mine fits about the same as yours shows…I remember there being a bit of an issue with the bolts and washers, pretty sure I got one side started then used vice grips to pull the other side against the bucket side to get them on (it’s been a few years since I put it on 😂).

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Mine fits about the same as yours shows…I remember there being a bit of an issue with the bolts and washers, pretty sure I got one side started then used vice grips to pull the other side against the bucket side to get them on (it’s been a few years since I put it on 😂).
I tried that, but didn't have a pair big enough to actually pull the toothbar mounting tab over enough to get the lock washer on. I actually got two pairs to try and get it pulled over as much as I could.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Width is fine. The bars on the sides are bendable enough to form to the sides of your bucket. Looks like they need to be first tightened more, then install the lock washers.

Unlike other tooth bars most people don’t need to ever take off the Piranha tooth bar.

They make world of difference digging and clearing brush. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I tried that, but didn't have a pair big enough to actually pull the toothbar mounting tab over enough to get the lock washer on. I actually got two pairs to try and get it pulled over as much as I could.
C clamp?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You need to fill the gap between bucket and bar with washers.
Also be sure to neverseize the fasteners, cause you do NOT want the bar on when pushing 'white' in 3 months time !

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Why do BXpanded not use carriage bolts?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Why do BXpanded not use carriage bolts?
It costs a little bit more to make a square hole plus the end user may not have the skills to transfer the hole to the bucket. In addition, the corners of the square hole have a better chance of cracking at the points.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Maybe get 2 longer bolts &. 2 lock nuts ? If your concerned about the gap between the mount & the bucket put the washer between the 2 .
animals45

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Those side bars will bend flush against the bucket sides when tight enough. Looks like you used a wood block to tightly engage the bar to the bucket edge. Get in the dirt!

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
It costs a little bit more to make a square hole plus the end user may not have the skills to transfer the hole to the bucket. In addition, the corners of the square hole have a better chance of cracking at the points.
The head/squared portion of the carriage/ fender bolt would get indexed to the tooth bar only. One wrench and less to get worn/beat on the inside of the bucket. The install also looks cleaner.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
This is how it should look once installed:

1000000409.jpg

There is nust barely enough room for the supplied hardware once tightened. Mine was cranked down with an m18 high torque so it isn't gonna get tighter than that without losing the hardware.

If for some reason the side of your bucket is thicker, you can try swapping to a flanged locking nut. Specifically the ones with teeth on the flange as they will replace a flat washer as well and doesn't grip the bolt. Or just get longer hardware just make sure it is high grade. I would not recommend any kind of threadlocker if you want it to be removable in the future as nature's locktite (rust) will be holding it as is in the near future.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The head/squared portion of the carriage/ fender bolt would get indexed to the tooth bar only. One wrench and less to get worn/beat on the inside of the bucket. The install also looks cleaner.
Of course it would make a neat installation but add a bit of cost and the other issues still remain.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Till the second or third time ya go to bolt it on & can't find a carriage bolt & a plain bolt get's shoved in . I'm a fan of standard hardware . I bet if ya looked at bolt specs a regular bolt has more strength than a carriage bolt
animals45

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Carriage bolts to my knowledge have thr same strength ratings and grades. They sre fantastic if the fastener doesn't need removed. The problem is when you have rusty ones that offer resistance and you get just to that point where they want to cam out of a hole instead of loosening, and inevitably are still too tight to stick a wrench on the flats under the head.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
After snapping the pictures, I did crank down the bolts tight. There is still a gap, but my bucket has some welded on pieces on the inside that the bar mounting tabs are tight against so it looks worse than it is.

I didn’t grab my impact, but maybe I’ll do that to see if I can get it tighter to bend a bit more. I don’t have a M18 high torque, but I have a mid torque, and a pneumatic impact so that should do it. 😅

I do like the idea of adding some never seize and possibly a lock nut if I just can’t get the lock washer on.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha