Time to upgrade

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Well this week I've put over 20 hours on the tractor and we got another storm on the way for tomorrow. This week I noticed one of my factory speakers was starting to make some distorted noises so I knew it was time to get them out of there for an upgrade. Although the factory Kubota stereo is working great this will be an opportunity to to put in a new Sony unit. With the new Sony I can attach my Iphone to it, Play MP3's WMA's and AAC. I like the idea of using a USB stick as well.

I ended up in the city yesterday and came back with a new set of Infinity Reference two way speakers. Wow these things are top quality compared to the ones I'm taking out that Kubota had in there. The first photo will show you the new speakers on the left and the old one on the right.

The next thing I had to do was remove the light bar on top of the cab and then remove the roof. All work has to be done underneath the roof. Once I got that off I removed the factory radio bracket and realized I'm going to need to drill out the spot welds for the two small ears on the factory bracket and weld them to the new bracket for my new stereo.

After I did some careful measuring the new Sony CDX-GT5400UI fit right in place. I had to figure out Kubota's wiring and used my DVM and labeled the wires then soldered and heat shirked them to the new harness.

I installed the new speakers and turned on the system and could hardly believe the awesome sound that came from it. Crystal clear and no distortion at any sound level and it's loud. I won't have it up very loud while operating the tractor but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to.

The unit also comes with a remote. I had the extra Ram mount so I put the remote on that. What I like about the remote is If I want to play a few tunes while the tractor is in the shop I can select the tunes from the shop floor. How cool is that.:cool: The Kubota radio with the CD played and weather station was fine. Worked well but I just wanted a few more bells and whistles in the cab. Here's a few photo's of the day.

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just wanted a few more bells and whistles in the cab,,,,,,,,,,,
a few more bells and whistles,,,, I find that hard to believe,,,LMAO,,, a very nice job to say the lease,,, we be jammin

Wildfire

Equipment
I just wanted a few more bells and whistles in the cab,,,,,,,,,,,
a few more bells and whistles,,,, I find that hard to believe,,,LMAO,,, a very nice job to say the lease,,, we be jammin
Thank you sir. Man I just back from snow clearing in the thing. Wouldn't be back yet but I ran out of snow. We all want a few more bells and whistles. ;)

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Need a disco ball and a strobe light.
Go Go dancer on the roof.

Nice to have it link thru your I-phone.
Remote is pretty sweet as well.

Amazing how good music can make damn near anything more enjoyable.

Let there be rock
Bon Scott

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Looks nice Wildfire. My factory radio went out in my 9000 a couple of months ago. I ended up putting a Alpine unit in mine. It has the USB port as well. I made sure to get this on mine so I could plug my Ipod up to the radio. It really amazed me how much better it sounds just replacing the radio. The factory units don't seem like much to me even though you would think you are buying gold from the dealer.

Wildfire

Equipment
Looks nice Wildfire. My factory radio went out in my 9000 a couple of months ago. I ended up putting a Alpine unit in mine. It has the USB port as well. I made sure to get this on mine so I could plug my Ipod up to the radio. It really amazed me how much better it sounds just replacing the radio. The factory units don't seem like much to me even though you would think you are buying gold from the dealer.
Ya it's amazing the difference in sound quality. Should have done it last year but I didn't want to take the roof off at that time. This time I had to because of the defective speaker. Glad I did. Sounds like you got yourself a very nice system as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know what you mean about the roof. I didn't replace my speakers yet because of the roof. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to. I'm sure yours is much better with the entire system changed out. Those factory speakers are just barely better than nothing at all.

I watched your You tube on the lights and on the bumper as well. That bumper storage box is sweet. Very nice work.

Wildfire

Equipment
I know what you mean about the roof. I didn't replace my speakers yet because of the roof. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to. I'm sure yours is much better with the entire system changed out. Those factory speakers are just barely better than nothing at all.

I watched your You tube on the lights and on the bumper as well. That bumper storage box is sweet. Very nice work.
The roof normally wouldn't be a big issue but I built a light bar that's over the roof that I have to let go before the roof comes off and I guess I got lazy and didn't want to remove it until I had to. I built the light bar to put the top light on. The roofs on these tractors and a thin plastic and I didn't want to risk cracking it. If the light bar wasn't there I could remove the roof in 15 minutes but with the light bar it takes 30 minutes. It's not that big a deal now that I got it done. If you had the new speakers instlled you'd love that new stereo.

We have a Hugh storm going on here now so it looks like I'll need those lights. Yesterday I was out and had a lady go off the road in her van. She came over to the tractor and asked me if I could get her out of the ditch. I went over and got her out but I was out in the middle of the road and was very happy to know I had all angles of the tractor covered with the LED strobe lights. Traffic stopped until I got her out. Whats safety worth. It's worth a few extra lights for sure.

Glad you enjoyed seeing the storage box. That was a fun build. I have another mod in mind if I can find the time to get at it that should be cool. I've never seen it done on a tractor before. I'll post it when I get it done.

Thanks for posting.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The added lights are a nice extra for sure. I don't know if most drivers would even pay attention to them or not. It seems that the average driver today has this motto. Flashing lights and warning signs mean go faster.

At least the extra lights will help out in your defence if you do get hit. When I put that state trooper in the ditch he was pissed to say the least. I was turning in my driveway at the shop when he came up on me at night running about 80 without blues on either. He ran in the driveway behind me with lights flashing and a very bad attitude. I got off the tractor as he was getting out of the car. What the hell are you doing out here this time of night on that thing he said. My answer, I'm f---ing farming. What the hell are you doing running that fast without blue lights on. He had a stupid look on his face when he got back in his car and left. I had all my flashers on, 2 SMV signs and even rear work lights shining on the disc I was pulling.

I think it pays to have everything done right when you're out on the road if for nothing else but to protect yourself.

Wildfire

Equipment
The added lights are a nice extra for sure. I don't know if most drivers would even pay attention to them or not. It seems that the average driver today has this motto. Flashing lights and warning signs mean go faster.

At least the extra lights will help out in your defence if you do get hit. When I put that state trooper in the ditch he was pissed to say the least. I was turning in my driveway at the shop when he came up on me at night running about 80 without blues on either. He ran in the driveway behind me with lights flashing and a very bad attitude. I got off the tractor as he was getting out of the car. What the hell are you doing out here this time of night on that thing he said. My answer, I'm f---ing farming. What the hell are you doing running that fast without blue lights on. He had a stupid look on his face when he got back in his car and left. I had all my flashers on, 2 SMV signs and even rear work lights shining on the disc I was pulling.

I think it pays to have everything done right when you're out on the road if for nothing else but to protect yourself.
It's pretty sad when a law enforcement officer can't go by the rules but to be also ignorant takes the cake. You handled it well though. No matter what occupation there is there will be a certain percentage with a shitty attitude. Your right, Do as much right as we can and IF something happens we got something to argue about. Be careful out there.

We got dumped on last night. It was a 4 o'clock AM start of the day for my plowing but it was a still calm morning and a pleasure to be up early enjoying the snow.

pegneck

Equipment
L5030,L3940,L5740,Befco 15 flex mower,Maschio tiller,landpride bush hog
Jul 13, 2012
Brutus,Mi
WIldfire: What size speakers did you buy? Also do you have to take top off just to change speakers?

Wildfire

Equipment
WIldfire: What size speakers did you buy? Also do you have to take top off just to change speakers?
The model number of the speakers are on the first page. I don't remember their actual size but they are the same as the factory ones that came with the machine. If you use the same type you'll just need to shim them away from the factory speaker grills because they are two way speakers and the center cones will hit the grill so using small washers makes easy work of that. Yes you have to remove the top cap cover to change but that's only a ten minute deal. Easy to do.

pegneck

Equipment
Jul 13, 2012
Brutus,Mi
can't find the speaker model number on first page

pegneck

Equipment
Jul 13, 2012
Brutus,Mi
found model number on one of your pictures....thanks