There is one thing I despise about kubota, part pricing

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Probably because Texans have to work to pay bills since Texas doesn't pass out many rocking chair checks.
It’s not just a Texas thing… WalMart is in all 50 states….home offices in ARK…”Land of Opportunity” if you can believe that.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Tell OSHA that if you have an accident.
Why would OSHA be involved if you are using it privately and working on your own property? Maybe you work for them.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Why would OSHA be involved if you are using it privately and working on your own property? Maybe you work for them.
Up here the state police call in OSHA to investigate any accidents causing death or serious injury involving farm machinery or implements. I think it is more for insurance companies involved because they have ability to document it properly. Most farming is not covered under it though from what I have been told.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I can only speak for the dealer I work at and for the one I used to work at (Kubota previously, Polaris now).

Yes, there is "some" truth to what you've said. But it is not our (or my) policy to sell parts and service that is not needed, and never has been-nor will it ever be in the future. Where the miscommunication occurs is when "I" (the tech) does an oil change for example. While the oil's draining I'm gonna go shake the wheels. Loose ball joint? Write it on the repair order. Then SM gets the RO and calls customer. "Ok sir/madam, we've completed the requested service but while the tech was under it he noticed that your LF ball joint is loose. If you decide to repair it-and we HIGHLY recommend doing so, the cost to do it is this much".

Owner never noticed any loose ball joint so he or she's gonna throw a fit about it. "You're just trying to get over on me. Ain't nothing wrong with it, I'll pay for the oil change and I'm out of this dump, y'all are con artists". And then 15 minutes later it's posted all over social media for the whole world to see. "They tried to get over on me and since I'm a certified Youtube mechanic I know everything and what they're trying to do is wrong!"

Believe me I see and hear this ALL the time. Used to be daily. We've changed up our 50 point check sheets so that they reflect "how bad" an item is. If it's just worn but acceptable, check the yellow box. IF worn to the point where it needs immediate replacement, hit the orange box. If it's a safety item, check the red box. If ANY of the red boxes are checked, the vehicle doesn't leave the shop until customer signs a release. Why? Cause in my decades of experience I've learned that customers are always right but sometimes they're wrong. "Ain't nothing wrong with it I'll pay for the oil change and drive it". Ok cool, a year later the lower control arm falls off of the ball joint and vehicle crashes and burns, taking the driver, passenger, and kids with it. Shop that did the oil change is now under investigation because they "worked on it" previously. That waiver saves your butt-and has done so a few times in the past, particularly with motorcycle riders. Next to PDI check list, it's THE most important document that us shop guys use! And now that we are selling UTV's that can go 100mph (or more in some cases), it gets even more important.
+1 on the above. (y)

This is one of the reasons that I decided to "exit" the automotive service industry.

Lets face it, people are generally "pissed off" when they come in to get their vehicle/tractor/plane/locomotive/furnace/toilet repaired.

And you telling them they need something else tends to push them "over the edge".

I had the State called on me once because I replaced "BOTH" front rotors, when I did a brake job. Well, as it turns out, one of the rotors was technically still in spec by X amount and could have been turned.

Turning it was going to save them like $13, so I made the "command decision" to just replace it.

CROOOOOOOOOOK!!!!!!!!!!!! "GET A ROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I mean really, who in their right mind would put all that money into front brakes, (probably about $700 back then) and then put a old rotor on, just to save $13?:cautious:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have always had very good experiences with auto and tractor dealerships.

My Tundra had an oil change last month. Full synthetic and tire rotation (bought the tires from dealership at the best price around - so the rotation is always free) for $79, and I was out is less than an hour. I doubt they made any money on the service. Oh, I bought the truck from them for $4K below MSRP (the best deal I could find, and it came with an included lifetime powertrain warranty).

I always see people saying they change their own oil, but they do not say whether they rotate their tires too.

I will do my own 200 hour service on the LX in the next few weeks, but I will send it to the dealer for the 400 hour service (at 400 hours or 6 months before my warranty expires, which ever comes first).
I take my Corolla to BJ's (Like Sam's & COSTCO) for free rotations every 5-6 K miles.
Can't rotate MB E-350 tires.
Fronts are taller size than rears, and will rub if used in front.
German better idea?.(n)

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
One thing I wanted to discuss is the lack of communication--between many parties. Tech to service manager, tech to service advisor, service advisor to customer, customer to service advisor, etc

I know why and how service departments have gotten the way they are but sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off doing it the old way, tech deals directly with the customer. I did this for 28 years. And I can tell you, the communication between customer and tech, while maybe not quite top notch, was always pretty good. There were always times when I was busy enough to forget to make a call or text to the customer, but it wasn't often. When it happened, it was almost always a ticked off customer and I don't blame them. The other side of this is that the relationships that I developed with customers was much tighter. Actually I still have good friends that we hang out with. Met a couple girlfriends as well.

But service departments have become more of a "volume" based business than "service" business. The more oil changes I can do in a week the more money I make because every oil change is done at a flat rate which is figured by a couple guys who have a perfectly laid out work area with all the tools and parts right in front of them, and they do the task 3 times consecutively and average those times. Well my goodness by the 3rd time, you're at under 2 minutes (first one might have been 15). Flat rate has certainly hurt the service business, and it has most certainly hurt the customer to service department relationship. I don't agree with going 100% flat rate, but with all that said, personally I've figured out how to make money and still keep the customer informed as best possible, while still using flat rate. Part of that is because I'm no longer with Kubota, the other part of that is finding ways around things, and the biggest part of it is hard work-lots of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One thing I wanted to discuss is the lack of communication--between many parties. Tech to service manager, tech to service advisor, service advisor to customer, customer to service advisor, etc

I know why and how service departments have gotten the way they are but sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off doing it the old way, tech deals directly with the customer. I did this for 28 years. And I can tell you, the communication between customer and tech, while maybe not quite top notch, was always pretty good. There were always times when I was busy enough to forget to make a call or text to the customer, but it wasn't often. When it happened, it was almost always a ticked off customer and I don't blame them. The other side of this is that the relationships that I developed with customers was much tighter. Actually I still have good friends that we hang out with. Met a couple girlfriends as well.

But service departments have become more of a "volume" based business than "service" business. The more oil changes I can do in a week the more money I make because every oil change is done at a flat rate which is figured by a couple guys who have a perfectly laid out work area with all the tools and parts right in front of them, and they do the task 3 times consecutively and average those times. Well my goodness by the 3rd time, you're at under 2 minutes (first one might have been 15). Flat rate has certainly hurt the service business, and it has most certainly hurt the customer to service department relationship. I don't agree with going 100% flat rate, but with all that said, personally I've figured out how to make money and still keep the customer informed as best possible, while still using flat rate. Part of that is because I'm no longer with Kubota, the other part of that is finding ways around things, and the biggest part of it is hard work-lots of that.
You have outlined, perfectly, why I avoid ALL car dealerships for repairs.
I have a favorite independent shop in New England, and another in FL.
I know them both well, and trust both implicitly.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You have outlined, perfectly, why I avoid ALL car dealerships for repairs.
I have a favorite independent shop in New England, and another in FL.
I know them both well, and trust both implicitly.
well there is two or more sides to every story. Avoiding the dealership is fine, until you have an issue that needs the dealership. Independent shops are not factory trained and I can tell you first hand, both from a customer and as a tech, that factory training is a LOT better than anything else out there-including experience. Now don't get me wrong, experience is great but factory training + experience cannot be beat in most cases. Plus recalls, dealer only. Dealers often give a higher level of service, but it comes at a cost, which some are unwilling to pay for. I understand and respect that.

I ran my own shop for a while so I know both sides of the arguement. There are pluses and minuses to each and usually price is the #1 determining factor.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
well there is two or more sides to every story. Avoiding the dealership is fine, until you have an issue that needs the dealership. Independent shops are not factory trained and I can tell you first hand, both from a customer and as a tech, that factory training is a LOT better than anything else out there-including experience. Now don't get me wrong, experience is great but factory training + experience cannot be beat in most cases. Plus recalls, dealer only. Dealers often give a higher level of service, but it comes at a cost, which some are unwilling to pay for. I understand and respect that.

I ran my own shop for a while so I know both sides of the arguement. There are pluses and minuses to each and usually price is the #1 determining factor.
Wheel/front end alignment, is the only thing that I go to a MB dealer for. (88,000 mile MB E350 )
I have found that tire shops just cannot do that job satisfactorily.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
PS could i install a metal fender from a later BX? was the BX2350 the only model with junky plastic body parts?
You can use BX60 series fenders as they are close to the same and are metal. There are one or two simple modifications that need to be made.
Yes, the BX50 series is the only plastic-bodied BX built.

Price some JD compact tractor body parts and see if you think Kubota is so bad.