The one problem I can't fix- broken head on diverter valve

patina

Equipment
Kubota B8200HST
Jan 24, 2021
CT
In post #11, what are the two holes at 3:00 and 7:00 there for? Anyone have any idea? Kind of looks like roll pin is driven into each hole.

I think you have the proper hole to fill with PB Blaster or whatever and walk away (assuming that the picture is from above)
Russell you think right into those holes? cant hurt to try. I've read that the marks indicate positioning for the valve, although if you read the manual it just says to turn it all the way clockwise when running power steering.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The holes don't go anywhere there were just roll pins as stops.

Take a pick and pry out the seal, that's the only thing holding the pin valve in there.

Reactions: 1 user

patina

Equipment
Kubota B8200HST
Jan 24, 2021
CT
The holes don't go anywhere there were just roll pins as stops.

Take a pick and pry out the seal, that's the only thing holding the pin valve in there.
Thanks for all the help Wolfman. Are you saying I don't have to unscrew it?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Russell you think right into those holes? cant hurt to try. I've read that the marks indicate positioning for the valve, although if you read the manual it just says to turn it all the way clockwise when running power steering.
No not the small holes just the large hole with threads in it. I assume you’re trying to get that part out. Not sure why it won’t come out by pulling on it. I think the nut holds it in but probably nothing but o rings are holding it in the hole currently, but I have not looked at an illustrated assembly of the parts.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Would it be possible to drill a hole crosswise through the stub and put a rod or wire to pull or pry the valve stem out?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Wolfman is far wiser than I, so I would listen to his guidance. I dont understand how the pin will still not turn though if the seal is the only thing holding it in place.

patina

Equipment
Kubota B8200HST
Jan 24, 2021
CT
Wolfman is far wiser than I, so I would listen to his guidance. I dont understand how the pin will still not turn though if the seal is the only thing holding it in place.
This is the place to be, all this input is very much appreciated. For the record I've googled this up and down and landed on this site tons of times, I'm glad I joined and again really appreciate all the help, will update!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I'm real curious now... just what do I lookup to see this 'vavle' in the online parts screen ?
If that piece is just 'sitting' in there,fill cavity with 50-50,wait overnight, clamp new vicegrips on the shaft, use a pickle fork to oull the 'stem' up, out of the casting.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
OK, I'm real curious now... just what do I lookup to see this 'vavle' in the online parts screen ?
If that piece is just 'sitting' in there,fill cavity with 50-50,wait overnight, clamp new vicegrips on the shaft, use a pickle fork to oull the 'stem' up, out of the casting.
I'm fairly certain that it's the main hydraulic valve on the tractor. Below is what the entire assembly looks like from a post that I found on another forum.

Screenshot_20210126-072049_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Got it !!! hmm, shaft broke off at the lower roll pin...
I'd still fill with oil, wait, and then try to pry up using vicegrips and pickle fork. for some extra 'help', could you run tractor and 'pull levers' to get high pressure hydraulic oil to 'push' on the end of the valve inside ?
Yeah, be careful !
Maybe some gentle taps on the stub shaft, to try to get ANY 'oil' past the stuck area?

patina

Equipment
Kubota B8200HST
Jan 24, 2021
CT
I'm fairly certain that it's the main hydraulic valve on the tractor. Below is what the entire assembly looks like from a post that I found on another forum.

View attachment 53932
Je that picture exactly represents what we're working on, sans that pretty head and pins.. I got it to budge enough to bypass the loader so I winched that up and it's in the shop, good news is it moved and the next time it works should be fixed.

As far as the part not being threaded I'm not sure why it would say to turn it clockwise completely, seemed to unscrew a bit. Will try to completely remove and post pics because up to this day I've never been able to find a better shot of this part than the old diagrams (which seem to show threads).
20210126_082501.jpg

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
In post #11, what are the two holes at 3:00 and 7:00 there for? Anyone have any idea? Kind of looks like roll pin is driven into each hole.
They are as you suggested the remains of roll pins. They function as stops to position the rotary valve when turned, in the correct positions.

patina

Equipment
Kubota B8200HST
Jan 24, 2021
CT
Valve let loose and I was able to adjust it. I used Industrial 90 and PB, both from my friend NAPA Doug. After budging it with an extractor, I removed a banjo fitting for access and used 100% from a set of loaner vice grips, it was then able to be turned by hand.

Still a squeek, going to try further tomorrow in the light. I'm thinking the relief is possibly damaged. Thanks again for all the help guys, I wouldn't wish squeeky steering on my crankiest neighbor.