The more I hate, the more I hate computers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And tech support!!! Ok the short of it, Friday morning the interweb stops working.. OK call Consolidated Comm tech line ( aka Fairpoint ) Well do this do that and nada,, we will put in a work order,, how long ohhh 3 or 4 days,, WYF are shytting me?? oh no it takes that long,,,, Anyways today the field guy shows up,, does his test with the test box,,,, they shut you off,, HUH,,, yep they turned your internet service off, So he calls and sure as snot thats what happens,, wrong account!!!!!,, Cool so its working, go to check my email,,, nada wtf?? call tech support again,, these clowns speak puter geek talk ISL INSLS all kinds of crap rolls off their lips,, WHOA there cowboy whats all this mean,, well YOU have to call Mircosoft and ask them to set up your email,, WHY,, more puter talk,,, turns out,,, we dont do mircosoft no more,, have good day Komrade . SO now I have an email I cannot get email in and these smart asses wont do a thing to try and help me set up a new one,,, I know there is a way but being dumber than a box of rock with these things GOKs if it will ever happen

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Lol. We have so much trouble with our AT&T DSL internet that I have the local techs cell phone number and I just text him directly when it takes a dump. I have a deposit on Starlink and am waiting and praying for the email that says it's on the way.

And when I tell you that we have no viable options I'm not kidding.

AT&T is a JOKE!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not understanding why the internet being down and now fixed made you change your email.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
And tech support!!! Ok the short of it, Friday morning the interweb stops working.. OK call Consolidated Comm tech line ( aka Fairpoint ) Well do this do that and nada,, we will put in a work order,, how long ohhh 3 or 4 days,, WYF are shytting me?? oh no it takes that long,,,, Anyways today the field guy shows up,, does his test with the test box,,,, they shut you off,, HUH,,, yep they turned your internet service off, So he calls and sure as snot thats what happens,, wrong account!!!!!,, Cool so its working, go to check my email,,, nada wtf?? call tech support again,, these clowns speak puter geek talk ISL INSLS all kinds of crap rolls off their lips,, WHOA there cowboy whats all this mean,, well YOU have to call Mircosoft and ask them to set up your email,, WHY,, more puter talk,,, turns out,,, we dont do mircosoft no more,, have good day Komrade . SO now I have an email I cannot get email in and these smart asses wont do a thing to try and help me set up a new one,,, I know there is a way but being dumber than a box of rock with these things GOKs if it will ever happen
skeets

you need to forget your old email.....

go to gmail....

new account

user name :

skeetsonOTT@gmail.com........

forgot microsoft and whatnot......

Reactions: 3 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We got the similar shaft from Time Warner years ago. I now do gmail for mail and no mater who provides the wire, my email doesn’t change.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Much of this can be traced to the work ethic of younger employees. They seem to have no sense of doing a good job.... just do the time and go home.

In this case, they terminated the wrong internet service. Obviously someone did not DOUBLE CHECK the accounts.

I have seen this from MANY perspectives (carpenters, auto mechanics, banks, department stores.... etc )

It seems this once great country has forgotten what made it great in the first place and lost its way... 😪

America used to be where things were INVENTED which changed the world.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
What is your email address and what program do you use to access your email on your PC?

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have BOTH Gmail and ISP based email accounts. My ISP is cable based,bundled with TV and phone).
I use Mozilla Firefox as my web 'browser' and their Thunderbird to access my emails. Both products have been very stable. Have never lost ANY emails since day one.Used on this Win7U machine, and the hybrid Win7U/Win10.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have BOTH Gmail and ISP based email accounts. My ISP is cable based,bundled with TV and phone).
I use Mozilla Firefox as my web 'browser' and their Thunderbird to access my emails. Both products have been very stable. Have never lost ANY emails since day one.Used on this Win7U machine, and the hybrid Win7U/Win10.
Data storage is dirt cheap and terabytes will fit in your pocket.

I have one email address using my own domain name. GoDaddy is my domain name registrar and their mail exchangers are my prefered delivery route. I also have a personal AWS cloud server that acts as a secondary to their mail servers.

I download ALL email to my personal computers and devices using Outlook which I have used personally and professionally for 20+ years.

Everything is stored and backed up on my personal computers where it is under my control. I have decades of email at my fingertips with no need for a network connection should it go down.

None of which helps Skeets who apparently can't configure whatever client he has been using.

Dan

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Ill go a different direction. Pick that computer up off of your desk, walk over to a window and toss it out. Get a few good newspaper subscriptions!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I agree with jchonline, not only that, dig up those old phone directories and call the people you want to talk to!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Ill go a different direction. Pick that computer up off of your desk, walk over to a window and toss it out. Get a few good newspaper subscriptions!

And if that doesn’t work you could always call tech support again!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
What I would suggest is if you still have your email account name and password, try them on https://mail2web.com/ and see if you can receive and send email. No need to register or anything.
If your account is still active and works, then you can continue to use it with mail2web or you can download Thunderbird like suggested by others https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ and install it in you computer and use it with your existing account.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thankfully I fix most tech problems myself. One of my hats at my office of employment is I am the office IT person. I started building computers and fixing them at 13 years old. I'm 38 now. Thankfully because of this I have never struggled with tech or how things work, and have always been able to troubleshoot and find most of my own problems. When I have had internet issues outside of my control I often still found the problem and was able to tell the tech guy what he needed to fix when he got to me. I do sympathize with folks who never mastered the world of computers and tech however, because I'm sure with todays world it is hard to navigate. Computers were still fairly new back when I started learning them. (windows 95 and the first Pentium processor) But tech has only exploded since then, and I was right in the pocket as it did so. It has carried me far in life being so into computers so early in life.

Enough about my reminiscing. I assume your issue with email is that you are trying to use Microsoft Outlook but it is not connecting any longer? Your ISP told you they "don't do Microsoft anymore" so not sure what that means. Unless they are saying they no longer run a mail server that you can log into and pull your emails through outlook.

Chuck Woolery

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601
Jun 4, 2021
Wisconsin
Find someone in their late 30's early 40's like Tornado that lives nearby (I only say nearby so they can run the computer). Befriend this person, if you can make sure they don't have a tractor or are not "hands on". Trade computer work for tractor work, you'll be amazed at how much easier that person will make your computer life.

I don't mind computers, I can do most of it myself if need be (ironically my wife is in IT and I'm the one that begins troubleshooting our computer at home), however, I have a buddy that knows the ins and outs of computers. He also likes to remodel his house and needs help, so we have a good system going.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Computer repairs done onsite quickly! All repair are guaranteed permanent.
That guy has the same computer tools as me. And apparently about as much patience that I have when something like software, a repeating set of instructions is running on a processor that SHOULD do the same thing with those instructions, over and over, suddenly starts doing something different. How can that even be? I write software for PLC's and data acquisition systems. I put in a system in a paper mill 25 years ago that STILL does exactly the same thing it did when I designed it. This is after it has been through three iterations of PLC, 3 different OS platforms, and at least 7 PC replacements. That's how software SHOULD work.

Not quite as young as Tornado, but the first PC I ever used had an 8 bit processor and had to be booted on floppy disks, running DOS 1.2. Math coprocessors were separate chips and cost a lot of money. I think that when everything was still text based command line entries was the last time that software was actually going to do the same thing twice. When Windows came out, we compared it to the McIntosh because real programmers had no use for cute icons and pictures. Windows, for the illiterate afraid of speed. PC's became part of my daily life through work and hobby before Tornado was a twinkle in his daddy's eye, but I won't claim to be any sort of expert. I'm certainly not as smart as those folks that ask me if the machine I'm talking to them with is plugged in, and they like to remind me of it. Few of them have any clue what an IBM XT really was.

As for calling tech support, it is quite possible if the account was terminated, then the mailbox was closed/terminated/deleted if the Microsoft account was supplied through your service provider. They use the same techniques that hackers use to redirect your email to a specific account on a storage provider. They likely have changed who they use for all new accounts, but for customer convenience, they retain connection to the otherwise free Microsoft accounts. If your email ended with "@outlook.com" or "@hotmail.com" or "@microsoft.com", you should be able to reconnect Outlook (operating on a microsoft website, obviously) to that account, assuming you knew the username (email address) and password for it. Otherwise, the account on Microsoft never truly belonged to you, and your ISP has always had the privilege to delete your data at any blink in time. You signed an agreement to that effect when you purchased the service. This doesn't justify nor excuse the flippant, discourteous, unskilled, and pitiful customer service. I call it customer disservice, because I've worked in a service industry (electrical engineer in field services) for 40 years. I would NEVER dream of treating customers the way the media/information giants treat everyone now.