The more I hate, the more I hate computers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree with jchonline, not only that, dig up those old phone directories and call the people you want to talk to!
That would be a good thing, only problem is the news papers around here are so far left of center its not even funny, and that is not the concretive side of me speaking, it is fact. And phone books, yeah thats a thing of the past, I got my local one in the mail yesterday about the size of a small note pad and if you dont have a 10x magnifier you aint seeing anything. I still have a book with all the numbers in it,, and I still have a rotary phone too :) Hows that for stone age,, lol

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Find someone in their late 30's early 40's like Tornado that lives nearby (I only say nearby so they can run the computer). Befriend this person, if you can make sure they don't have a tractor or are not "hands on". Trade computer work for tractor work, you'll be amazed at how much easier that person will make your computer life.

I don't mind computers, I can do most of it myself if need be (ironically my wife is in IT and I'm the one that begins troubleshooting our computer at home), however, I have a buddy that knows the ins and outs of computers. He also likes to remodel his house and needs help, so we have a good system going.
Or someone like me who is 70 and has been doing this for 50 years. Age us not the issue - knowledge and understanding is what you are looking for. Sounds like he lost his connection to the (unkown) mail server but specifics are sorely lacking.

Dan

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I got a call today from a nice lady telling me that there were some serious issues coming out of my computer running windows. I am puzzled because my MacBook ain't running windows. 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I got a call today from a nice lady telling me that there were some serious issues coming out of my computer running windows. I am puzzled because my MacBook ain't running windows.
I assume you know this is some sort of SCAM.

You could tell them you are running LINUX and they would not miss a beat and tell you your LINUX system is also having a problem.

Usually, the SCAM involves them convincing unsuspecting idiots to turn over control of their computer to the scammer. Once they take remote-control, they copy your private information. (tax files, online orders, bank statements...etc) It only takes them about 1 minute to get the information

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Usually, the SCAM involves them convincing unsuspecting idiots to turn over control of their computer to the scammer. Once they take remote-control, they copy your private information. (tax files, online orders, bank statements...etc) It only takes them about 1 minute to get the information
Why I don't worry about this with my computer. NONE of that information exists in my computer. Don't do on line banking, file taxes on-line, and so on.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I hang up before they much more than begin their monologue. I also know that my vehicle warranty needs to be upgraded and these folks have my best interest at heart. :rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Try this next time,,,, Hello my name is Bob welcome to Micro Soft help line how may I help you

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Or try this …

How do I give you access? When I pressed the button to let you in, it opens the cupholder.