Stuck between Kubota M62 and L47

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
CT
Other than substituting box blade for angle blade our use is the same.
That is the appeal of the L47.
A TLB that can do AG chores much better than an AG tractor can do TLB chores.
It's not perfect, but it allowed me to own just one tractor instead of
This is exactly why I was so interested in the kubota TLB - love the options to do both. But, for probably 40 percent of my uses I would have a grapple on the front and forestry winch on the back. I would be carrying logs, rocks etc in the grapple.
It sounds like this tractor would be more tippy towards the front versus different tractors because of the heavier duty FEL?

if it is no less tippy than my b2650 than in that configuration that would probably be fine.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is exactly why I was so interested in the kubota TLB - love the options to do both. But, for probably 40 percent of my uses I would have a grapple on the front and forestry winch on the back. I would be carrying logs, rocks etc in the grapple.
It sounds like this tractor would be more tippy towards the front versus different tractors because of the heavier duty FEL?

if it is no less tippy than my b2650 than in that configuration that would probably be fine.
I think the key thing is to think about how often you will use a backhoe. It’s reported to be one of the least used implements and if the use is seldom, you would be far ahead renting a backhoe when you need one and going with an ag machine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think the key thing is to think about how often you will use a backhoe. It’s reported to be one of the least used implements and if the use is seldom, you would be far ahead renting a backhoe when you need one and going with an ag machine.
What would you consider the minimum time to justify a BH rental?

Trama

Equipment
L47, Thumb, T&T kit, Gearmore SFG185, 2G2, Pallet Forks
Dec 17, 2023
NorCal
I have an L47 and many attachments. I chose the model for its relatively compact size to FEL capacity over most AG models. (More on that in a minute).

When comparing the L47 and M62 models they are close in size yet I went with the L47 because it fits into my horse barn with raised breezeway. It barely fits under the sliding doors frame. It is so close to the top of the cab in fact I cannot measure it, like perhaps 1/100th of an inch! It allows me to drive right in with various loads, whether freshly milled stacks of slabs for seasoning, or loaded pallets etc. Quite capable. Obviously I extend the backhoe out a bit to lower the highest point. The M62 transport height is listed at 136", or 30", over the L47. I believe this to be a measurement to the top of the curled backhoe, and not the plastic cab top. Other dimensional comparisons to the M62 are to be considered (from Kubota pdf): Ground Clearance 12.3 vs 13.6", Turning Radius 9.2 vs 10.8', Nose to Tail 234 vs 253". Very similar numbers actually. I feel that the M62 is a turbo charged L47 with engineered robustness to handle the increased power.

My experience with moving logs has been good. I recently maxed out the FEL with pallet forks on a Giant Sequoia log, very heavy and wet log. I only managed to raise it about 4', at full roar it couldn't get it any higher...just barely enough to get onto my flatbed. It was well over 1300kg. I did it without the backhoe attached, just a flail mower and half filled tires. We have all seen those videos of dogs carrying such a large treat/toy that cantilevers their rear legs up...that didn't happen to me even though I would have preferred to max out the loader with the backhoe mounted.

PTO is another comparison as you have already mentioned. I have had no problems running a large flail unit with hydraulic side shift. I run 2500 rpm to maintain the recommended 540 unit rpm.

No final model recommendations from me, just trying to throw a little data at you. I do recommend you get all the bells and whistles when it comes to auxiliary hydraulics. The Top and Tilt is wonderful when road building, and the backhoe with hydraulic thumb can be very useful for rocks and branches. You mentioned an FEL grapple, I believe both models come ready with that third function.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have an L47 and many attachments. I chose the model for its relatively compact size to FEL capacity over most AG models. (More on that in a minute).

When comparing the L47 and M62 models they are close in size yet I went with the L47 because it fits into my horse barn with raised breezeway. It barely fits under the sliding doors frame. It is so close to the top of the cab in fact I cannot measure it, like perhaps 1/100th of an inch! It allows me to drive right in with various loads, whether freshly milled stacks of slabs for seasoning, or loaded pallets etc. Quite capable. Obviously I extend the backhoe out a bit to lower the highest point. The M62 transport height is listed at 136", or 30", over the L47. I believe this to be a measurement to the top of the curled backhoe, and not the plastic cab top. Other dimensional comparisons to the M62 are to be considered (from Kubota pdf): Ground Clearance 12.3 vs 13.6", Turning Radius 9.2 vs 10.8', Nose to Tail 234 vs 253". Very similar numbers actually. I feel that the M62 is a turbo charged L47 with engineered robustness to handle the increased power.

My experience with moving logs has been good. I recently maxed out the FEL with pallet forks on a Giant Sequoia log, very heavy and wet log. I only managed to raise it about 4', at full roar it couldn't get it any higher...just barely enough to get onto my flatbed. It was well over 1300kg. I did it without the backhoe attached, just a flail mower and half filled tires. We have all seen those videos of dogs carrying such a large treat/toy that cantilevers their rear legs up...that didn't happen to me even though I would have preferred to max out the loader with the backhoe mounted.

PTO is another comparison as you have already mentioned. I have had no problems running a large flail unit with hydraulic side shift. I run 2500 rpm to maintain the recommended 540 unit rpm.

No final model recommendations from me, just trying to throw a little data at you. I do recommend you get all the bells and whistles when it comes to auxiliary hydraulics. The Top and Tilt is wonderful when road building, and the backhoe with hydraulic thumb can be very useful for rocks and branches. You mentioned an FEL grapple, I believe both models come ready with that third function.
M62 height to to of cab is approximately 103"
The M62 fits inside a 40 ft. "high cube" sea container, for storage.

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
CT

thank you. This is exactly what I was looking to understand. Granted your flail mower is heavier than my forestry winch by about 400 lbs, it is helpful to understand that you could max out the lift capacity of the fel without taking a nose dive and a lighter piece of equipment on the back versus the backhoe!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
What would you consider the minimum time to justify a BH rental?
Not my call. Everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. If you have a need for a backhoe for numerous jobs, then get one. If you’re going to do a construction project and maybe dig a few stumps, then be done with needing one for the foreseeable future, it doesn’t make much sense to buy one instead of renting. But if you have the money and like to dig, then why not?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Not my call. Everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. If you have a need for a backhoe for numerous jobs, then get one. If you’re going to do a construction project and maybe dig a few stumps, then be done with needing one for the foreseeable future, it doesn’t make much sense to buy one instead of renting. But if you have the money and like to dig, then why not?
One of the reasons I upgraded to the B2601 was that I can get a backhoe without needing an extensive subframe (I can add it later, unlike the BX).

I sometimes want one. I'd guess I'd have dug with on 2 times in the last two years. I dug by hand instead. Digging by hand sucks, but I also ended up with a much tidier finish (I removed the turf then relaid it back on top, which I wouldn't have done with a backhoe).

If I had a backhoe I'd have to pay for it, store it, and I'd use it infrequently. So for me, I can't justify it. If you used one once a month, I'd say it'd be worth it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A BH can be very handy for more than just digging.
I usually have short time use for mine, maybe an hour or so each time.
From your perspective, it would make sense for me to rent for each individual hour I want/need it?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A BH can be very handy for more than just digging.
I usually have short time use for mine, maybe an hour or so each time.
From your perspective, it would make sense for me to rent for each individual hour I want/need it?
Only the owner can make that decision. I do know several people who own them and have used them maybe twice in 5 years. Renting larger backhoes twice would be far cheaper and more practical for them.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Only the owner can make that decision. I do know several people who own them and have used them maybe twice in 5 years. Renting larger backhoes twice would be far cheaper and more practical for them.
Your references are the exception, rather than the rule.
You really should expand your BH use horizon.

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
CT
I'm not really interested in renting. I have enough use cases to justify the purchase in my head - what I am trying to avoid is multiple machines as much as possible - e.g. a tractor and a mini-ex. For my uses, I don't think I would get the value out of a mini-ex. For large excavators, I already have rented the couple of times I've needed it and would do so in that case (but that is not a comparison to the M62 or a full size backhoe)

I am looking for real-world examples of the M62's FEL lifting capacity without the backhoe attached since that will be a use case I have. Similar to what user Trama shared with his L47. More to give me a little piece of mind more than anything on what will be an expensive purchase.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Your references are the exception, rather than the rule.
You really should expand your BH use horizon.
Maybe we should let owners in this site describe their usage. I stated what has been the case for the people I know who have them. I always see them around here detached and sitting out behind the barn unused.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe we should let owners in this site describe their usage. I stated what has been the case for the people I know who have them. I always see them around here detached and sitting out behind the barn unused.
The BH on my L48 has NEVER been detached.
Perhaps what you suggest is true for the toy backhoes.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The BH on my L48 has NEVER been detached.
Perhaps what you suggest is true for the toy backhoes.
I’m not sure about that you can call backhoes that are matched to MX and M series toy backhoes. And I’ve heard you mention that you have another tractor for 3ph implements so your tractor is a second machine. Most people have more 3ph usage than backhoe use. But once again, they make sense for lots of people and no sense for others.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
As I mentioned earlier I would go with two machines. A full size TLB and a utility tractor.

If you want to stick with one machine I think a M62 would be your best bet.
When I bought my L47 a M62 was about $10k more. I couldn't afford the additional expense. If not for that I'd own one myself.
If your winch doesn't provide enough counterweight, how about mounting the winch to a low profile counterweight. A combined weight close to 1,000lbs could be about right. If not add more steel.

Is there somewhere that you could rent a M62 and try it for a while?
My only dislike of the M62 is the price
100_1583.JPG

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm not really interested in renting. I have enough use cases to justify the purchase in my head - what I am trying to avoid is multiple machines as much as possible - e.g. a tractor and a mini-ex. For my uses, I don't think I would get the value out of a mini-ex. For large excavators, I already have rented the couple of times I've needed it and would do so in that case (but that is not a comparison to the M62 or a full size backhoe)

I am looking for real-world examples of the M62's FEL lifting capacity without the backhoe attached since that will be a use case I have. Similar to what user Trama shared with his L47. More to give me a little piece of mind more than anything on what will be an expensive purchase.
The ass end is too light on the M62/M59 without a BH as counter weight. I'm up on 2 wheels lifting wet pallets of sod even with a cab and attachment as counter ballast. Cab adds about 1,500lbs.

With the BH on I can make these lifts no problem and drive around with the load in 2WD. I struggle with 3-4K armour stone using my forks.

If you are doing a lot of heavy lifts and articulated wheel loader or telehandler is a better option. A large CTL can make lifts if you enjoy loading heavy stuff over your head while riding around in a milk crate with your only egress under the load.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’m not sure about that you can call backhoes that are matched to MX and M series toy backhoes. And I’ve heard you mention that you have another tractor for 3ph implements so your tractor is a second machine. Most people have more 3ph usage than backhoe use. But once again, they make sense for lots of people and no sense for others.
Kubota sells/has sold DEDICATED TLBs, like the L47, L48, M59. M62.
The loaders are also not detachable on these machines
They are TRUE TLBs.
A utility tractor with a backhoe attachment, is a compromised animal.
Though BHs can be detached from purpose built BH machines, it is not often done.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Kubota sells/has sold DEDICATED TLBs, like the L47, L48, M59. M62.
The loaders are also not detachable on these machines
They are TRUE TLBs.
A utility tractor with a backhoe attachment, is a compromised animal.
Though BHs can be detached from purpose built BH machines, it is not often done.
And they are great for those who use them often. For most of us, a tractor is a Swiss Army knife of many uses.