Starting a new project

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Had this thing setting on a pallet for a while. I have the heavy duty quick attach laying around. Need some fabricating, some hose, a guard to keep something off and hood and me.

The sheer was built by Precision Mfg. in Sedalia, Mo. It's an older model that I picked up at a sale. It's simple, doesn't rotate (as it is).

Look pretty simple compared to the last project.

Attachments

poyjas

Equipment
B7100HST & B2650 TLB-LandPride grapple & 60"BB
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
D2, thanks for the great post. I got to admit I moon over these every time I see one but I’ve hilly rough terrain. Seems that might make it tough lining up for a cut, and you’d still have to climb off to clear them away. A feller-buncher setup could be nice but that’s an invitation to find me, and the tractor, flipped to the side feeling stupid. Maybe I should stick with a chainsaw and grapple. How do you manage which direction the tree falls?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Direction the tree falls is determined by hyd. pressure, angle of the cut, and how the tree is being attacked!!! If a tree has an obvious imbalance in the limbs, you stay on the light side so it goes the other way. The operator can slightly raise the backside of the cutter to get the tree going away also.

We don't have the height of trees you have there. I am mostly interested in sheering off hedge (osage orange) and thorny locust. They both have thorns, so they are my targets. I will use it for cleaning up Red Cedars in fields and in fence rows. That is much safer than tall trees.