Sounds like an equipment related accident

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Most news channels aren't releasing much info, so take TMZ article with a grain of salt. Yet, if they are correct, it sounds like Jeremy Renner was runover by his snowcat machine. I'm not familiar with them, so I don't know what safety features they have or even how the operate. Lots of questions and maybe time will reveal and allow everyone to learn from the incident.

Yet, it serves as a good reminder that one has to respect and use caution around equipment because they can and do injure people.

From TMZ website:

According to a neighbor, the plowing machine -- called a Snowcat -- accidentally ran over one of Jeremy's legs, and he was losing a lot of blood from the injury. We're told another neighbor, who's a doctor, was able to put a tourniquet on his leg until paramedics arrived.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I find myself in a hurry once in awhile and jump out of the cab but leave it in gear (HST). It’s easy to do with auto throttle but I’m thinking this may be a sobering reminder to make sure I’m in N and brake is on - before dismounting. God speed for his recovery and hopefully the investigation will be made public, and if operator error, all of us in the tractor/machine world can learn from this accident.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
If he was driving the PB 240, he left in drive or reverse without applying the parking brake. Thats a big NO NO in an old Pistenbully, the newer ones have a safety switch's build into the door latches' to prevent that from happing.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If he was driving the PB 240, he left in drive or reverse without applying the parking brake.
A lot of people don't know there's such a thing as a "parking brake" in most wheeled vehicles. They are used to the completely wrong term, "emergency brake", and they get it in their head that it's for emergencies. There's a (sad) funny video floating around YouTube of a kid approaching a red light too fast on snow. In some versions, you get his original narration. He hits his brakes, starts to slide a wee bit, so he yanks up on his "emergency" brake, and of course, complely loses control. Then he complains that his "emergency" brake didn't work.

It's for parking, and should be used every time you park a vehicle. If you think you "only need it on a hill", you probably won't remember to use it when it's needed.

We are creatures of habit. Good habits are good. Bad habits are bad.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My FIL always called me stupid for using "the emergency brake" whenever I parked.
He said I would "wear it out" and then I wouldn't have it for emergencies. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Do they even teach using the 'emergency brake' to stop the vehicle anymore? Back when I went through driver's ed (yes the model Ts had brakes) our driving instructor put us in a parking lot and made us stop the vehicle with the emergency brake so we could see what it was like and explained if you lose your power brakes you still had that as an option. Never have had to use that in all the years of driving, but still remember practicing it in the parking lot.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
A lot of people don't know there's such a thing as a "parking brake" in most wheeled vehicles. They are used to the completely wrong term, "emergency brake", and they get it in their head that it's for emergencies. There's a (sad) funny video floating around YouTube of a kid approaching a red light too fast on snow. In some versions, you get his original narration. He hits his brakes, starts to slide a wee bit, so he yanks up on his "emergency" brake, and of course, complely loses control. Then he complains that his "emergency" brake didn't work.

It's for parking, and should be used every time you park a vehicle. If you think you "only need it on a hill", you probably won't remember to use it when it's needed.

We are creatures of habit. Good habits are good. Bad habits are bad.
It's not a wheeled vehicle, their tracks driven and Hydrostatic driven by pumps on each side. No foot brakes. steering is electronic and the older ones prone to not responding to control input, the control servos on the pumps get really sloppy and can be a big problem on drive in a straight line. With it when the parking brake is applied it will go into neutral.
The drive is controlled by a 3 position switch on the steering wheel and EZ to knock out of position. I had 2 of the same vintage machines, mid 1980's. my were PB 270 ds just a little bit bigger.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm finding conflicting reports.
One report; saying leg injury
Second report saying blunt chest trauma and orthopedic injuries
The second report is more credible.
He's in intensive care but stable after a second surgery.

Renner was helping a stranded motorist when the accident occurred.

Sounds like he was pulling them out when something went bad.

They have impounded the Snow cat because it was not operating properly.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

All the reporting reminds me of when I was working a train vs pedestrian that was walking on the track. Myself, the deputy coroner, and the train conductor was walking the tracks looking for body parts. Found a leg, but we didn't think about bringing the body bag with us, so we were walking back down the tracks and I was carrying the leg. Some kids on their bicycles rode up and asked what was going on? I held up the leg and said shark attack, you better be careful cause we haven't caught the shark yet. The kids all scattered. The conductor about passed out, he said you can't say things like that. The deputy coroner was laughing so hard, I thought I was going to have to pick him up off the ground.

Well, the next day neither one of us was laughing after the police department had gotten multiple phone calls from concerned parents that there was a wild animal eating people on the train tracks. I got to explain to my boss that it wasn't wild animals, but a shark. Neither my boss, the chief of police, or the coroner seen as much humor in it as the deputy coroner and myself did.

That wasn't the first time nor the last time I was in the office. They finally decided it would be easier just to promote me so I would have to deal with all my own issues.

So, I know firsthand how stories can get blown out of proportion or misinformed.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It's not a wheeled vehicle, their tracks driven and Hydrostatic driven by pumps on each side.

It's a mindset probllem. With the "emergency brake" mindset, a parking brake gets ignored, whether wheeled or tracked or hovercraft. (Hmmm. That might be the only land vehicle that doesn't need a parking brake!)

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
It's a mindset probllem. With the "emergency brake" mindset, a parking brake gets ignored, whether wheeled or tracked or hovercraft. (Hmmm. That might be the only land vehicle that doesn't need a parking brake!)
The "emergency brake" is button you hit with your foot and dump the front blade down..... And hang on, or else your going thru the windshield. Mostly use on steep ski slopes if needed, if control is lost.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Update:

Jump to 3:15 for the incident details.

Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Sounds to me like all those reports are in agreement with one another.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Ohhhhh, ok, its just one of those hollyweird type people. :rolleyes:
Still a guy doing normal guy things and trying to be self sufficient. Just like many of us would have done. It COULD have been any of us run over by our own machine.

Reactions: 5 users

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Still a guy doing normal guy things and trying to be self sufficient. Just like many of us would have done. It COULD have been any of us run over by our own machine.
yeahhhh.... but.... it wasn`t.
Safety First, apparently wasn`t on his mind. Now he has a second chance to think about safety, first.