Snow Removal.

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
Guys

I'm considering replacing my walk-behind snowblower with a garden tractor mounted snowblower.

It's only a matter of time here in Connecticut before we get the next great blizzard. At fifty years old, I'm getting a little tired of getting thrown around by my Honda Snowblower. Don't get me wrong, its a nice unit (9hp wheeled HS928WA) but I should have gotten the tracked version.

My question is; would a 2-wheel drive garden tractor make snow removal easier for me, especially as I get older (let's say 70 years old for arguments sake) or would a 2-wheel drive tractor have its own set of problems?

Here are some tractors that I'm considering.

John Deere X570: 756lbs but the snowblower would be belt-drive.
John Deere X730: 857lbs but the snowblower would be shaft-drive.

Thanks for any advice and feedback!

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
It possibly could if the rear axle can be locked. BUT, if you get allot of snow, pretty sure you will have issues. 4 wheel drive tractor would be best. I went through this too and decided a Kubota 1880 would work for me. Wanted a loader too and mower deck. May have been a bit of money but works great where I live. I live out in the country. Read attachments for the 3 point hitch helps even more. You could try a garden tractor but I think you will be wasting your money buy selling it and upgrading again. Up to you how you proceed. Good luck.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My 520H Wheel Horse with a 44" snowthrower does just fine with rubber tire chains.
1715015720199.jpeg

psk125

Equipment
TG 1860
May 3, 2024
Southport CT
We've lived in our house in CT for more than 30 years, using 2WD Simplicity Sovereigns to clear the snow. The snowblower clogs with the heavy wet stuff we get, so the plow works better. It's enough fun that after doing our driveway I go over and do the neighbors too. With parts for the 50 year-old Sovereign now getting nearly impossible to find I got a Kubota TG1860 to replace it. Now I'm looking for a plow for the Kuboota.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've used(abused) a beat up 25+ year old Craftsman rider(22HP) with a Berco 40" blower on it as my primary snow removal device. It ain't pretty, it ain't fast but it tosses the white far,far away.
This is a dedicated snow machine, NO mower deck ! Has a car battery to power the up/down winch.
6 years ago I built a SSQA gas powered snowblower for my BX23S, proved it worked, then lost interest in it as less snow fell.... ON/OFF took about 60 seconds.....
I would NOT get a front mounted blower for my BX23S after reading the horror stories on how Kubota cheaped out stiffed owners for $600 parts.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My question is; would a 2-wheel drive garden tractor make snow removal easier for me, especially as I get older (let's say 70 years old for arguments sake) or would a 2-wheel drive tractor have its own set of problems?
You might need chains on the rear, but otherwise, I see people using lawn tractors around here although most have blades on the front.

I don't know, but I think the shaft drive would have less of a tendency to fail at inopportune times. Belts tend to slip more when it's cold/whet and can come out of adjustment.