Sidekick RTV-XG850 backfiring / loss of power

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
The Kubota diesels SXS have been reliable. I didn't want a diesel due to the added cost, and my Kubota salesman told me Not to buy their gas version last year. Most of the gas versions didn't even hit dealers lots until june/July because those units were plague with problems/recall/production change. I'm 'very thankful that he was honest, I actually had him come out this past hunting season to shoot some cull bucks. I bought a new $12k 2023 Kawasaki 4010 gas Mule, and been happy with it, I think it already has 160+ hours no issues since last July.
The Mule is high on my list! I just wondered if the 400 series had enough oomph to go up hills as my property is all steep out back where I would be taking it. All hardwood woods with leaf litter

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Does anyone think that ALL of the sidekicks manufactured have this problem? Or is it a specific model?
I am looking to buy a sxs this year and there are some on marketplace etc. of course no one mentions this problem?
Be that as it may, I don’t think I would take a chance on one.
It seems to be random. I will sell you a 22 with 32 hours. I know one with the issue was just traded in to a Western NY tractor dealer with 400 hours and they will just probably change the oil and resell it. 2 Others I heard of in the middle of the country were sold privately after the issue was discovered. I imagine many more have it but many do not change their own oil. Dealers just drain and dump the oil so you wouldn't know until something major happens. They run fine, just dilute the oil to concern able levels in about 5 hours. So if you plan on changing oil every 5 hours or letting it warm up 1/2 hour before using a used one may work for you. I have not seen any high hour ones yet so no idea how this affects the lifespan. I definitely would not touch a used one the way Kubota has just been calling it normal so it is not reported as a problem in their history.

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
It seems to be random. I will sell you a 22 with 32 hours. I know one with the issue was just traded in to a Western NY tractor dealer with 400 hours and they will just probably change the oil and resell it. 2 Others I heard of in the middle of the country were sold privately after the issue was discovered. I imagine many more have it but many do not change their own oil. Dealers just drain and dump the oil so you wouldn't know until something major happens. They run fine, just dilute the oil to concern able levels in about 5 hours. So if you plan on changing oil every 5 hours or letting it warm up 1/2 hour before using a used one may work for you. I have not seen any high hour ones yet so no idea how this affects the lifespan. I definitely would not touch a used one the way Kubota has just been calling it normal so it is not reported as a problem in their history.
Ha! I would not call this “normal” by any stretch…

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
We need more people posting with the issues if that is the intent. My RTV still starts up and runs perfectly fine. I am going to try and check the compression this weekend. The problem for me is that they only noted the compression was low when the engine was warmed up, and with almost a quart of fuel in the oil... i would imagine it would have poor compression with fuel diluted oil.
When mine was at the dealer they changed the oil before compression testing. Mine also runs fine, just pumps huge amounts of fuel in the oil. When the oil gets thin I am seeing a big puff of smoke at startup. Guess the gas wipes the cylinder walls clean and the little oil left burns up. If Kubota can't figure it out, all we can do is guess what's going on.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
Does anyone think that ALL of the sidekicks manufactured have this problem? Or is it a specific model?
I am looking to buy a sxs this year and there are some on marketplace etc. of course no one mentions this problem?
Be that as it may, I don’t think I would take a chance on one.
It seems to be most problematic to any of the models with the Subaru engine. That was changed out in the 2023 or 2024 models is my understanding.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
It seems to be most problematic to any of the models with the Subaru engine. That was changed out in the 2023 or 2024 models is my understanding.
I was told by a guy that bought a new one (23) that it is the same Subaru engine that is now manufactured by Kubota. The intake was changed for more HP, sensors added, and oil dipstick was relocated to keep water and dirt from the area. Not many out there to see if the changes made a difference with this issue. Time will tell. If it is better I would think Kubota would recall and retrofit ours to put this issue to bed.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Well lemon laws do not include motorized off road vehicles like ATVs, UTVs, Snowmobiles, and off road bikes. The only path for us probably is the EPA offroad emissions tests that are on record for this machine. If the serious fuel contamination particle evaporation from the engines and waste oil have been included in the approval of these machines green paperwork. The NY AG at this point seems very interested in going after large companies over green energy and emission issues. Wondering if this may be a longshot she may be interested in with 3 machines I know of that are located in NY. Seeing it is not a safety issue it is totally up to Kubota without some kind of government intervention and we know their answer so far.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I have been poking around with different search engines and finding it's not just us having problems. Here's one on it's 3rd engine https://newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1131687&mid=10487266#M10487266 and there are also bad clutch and transmission issues. Looks like Kubota used to replace engines but seems the new ones are still problems. Wish we could get everyone with problems on this forum because the posts are spread out on forums that don't always show up in searches.

I'm also wondering if atomburst bought his new or it was one that someone dumped.

Next week I am headed down to the Kioti dealer to get prices on a 25 or 35 hp cab tractor that originally was going to be another Kubota. After going through this I just won't stay loyal to Kubota anymore. Figure Kioti warranty can't be any worse then Kubota and the savings would fix a lot if they are.

Last edited:

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I have been poking around with different search engines and finding it's not just us having problems. Here's one on it's 3rd engine https://newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1131687&mid=10487266#M10487266 and there are also bad clutch and transmission issues. Looks like Kubota used to replace engines but seems the new ones are still problems. Wish we could get everyone with problems on this forum because the posts are spread out on forums that don't always show up in searches.

I'm also wondering if atomburst bought his new or it was one that someone dumped.

Next week I am headed down to the Kioti dealer to get prices on a 25 or 35 hp cab tractor that originally was going to be another Kubota. After going through this I just won't stay loyal to Kubota anymore. Figure Kioti warranty can't be any worse then Kubota and the savings would fix a lot if they are.
Cool, Kioti is like a clone. Similar like parts used. Let us your thoughts on them.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Cool, Kioti is like a clone. Similar like parts used. Let us your thoughts on them.
I'm not sure that would be allowed on a Kubota forum. There are 2 Kioti dealers near me, a Mahindra dealer, and a new TYM dealer right down the road. I'm going to check them all out. From the videos I have seen most owners are very happy Kioti and they have gotten their parts distribution straightened out now. This is all new for me because in the past I would just go down to the Kubota dealer and buy what they offered without haggling or doing much research.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I'm not sure that would be allowed on a Kubota forum. There are 2 Kioti dealers near me, a Mahindra dealer, and a new TYM dealer right down the road. I'm going to check them all out. From the videos I have seen most owners are very happy Kioti and they have gotten their parts distribution straightened out now. This is all new for me because in the past I would just go down to the Kubota dealer and buy what they offered without haggling or doing much research.
Orange Tractor? Yes! Orange Tractor Talks...

Why wouldn't it be? it's not political or religious. Just start a new thread.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Orange Tractor? Yes! Orange Tractor Talks...

Why wouldn't it be? it's not political or religious. Just start a new thread.
Yes. This forum is not sponsored or financed (AFAIK) by Kubota. I'm pretty sure a comparison would be welcome. The moderators would let you know.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Yes. This forum is not sponsored or financed (AFAIK) by Kubota. I'm pretty sure a comparison would be welcome. The moderators would let you know.
I thought this was sponsored by Kubota. Maybe a section for "Other Orange Tractors" would bring in Kioti traffic. Seeing how many new dealers are popping up with big inventory, I imagine they will be a major player in this segment someday. Sorry for side tracking this thread.
Back to defective Sidekicks.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
A couple updates. First I ran down to the kioti dealer and looked at tractors. The CX 2510 was too small for me. The pedals were too close and loader control hit my leg so that is out. Drove a CK 2620 non cab version around the yard and am really impressed by it. Very comfortable and smooth. I love the joystick for the loader location. They didn't have a cab version to try but can order one. The prices with rebates seem really good.
Second, on the way home I stopped at my Kubota dealer to have a come to Jesus discussion because my Sidekick warranty only has a couple weeks left. Turned out positive in the end. Apparently there was a meeting with a new Kubota rep about my problem and it seems like those emails I sent and these forums may have been read. The issue is being escalated and I got a promise it would be taken care of even if my warranty expired. The dealer was going to call me as I walked in. Still have to wait and see exactly how it will be fixed. No more talk of it being caused by me short tripping and there is nothing wrong with it so that makes me feel better. Hopefully I will know more next month and don't have to worry about using it for now.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
A couple updates. First I ran down to the kioti dealer and looked at tractors. The CX 2510 was too small for me. The pedals were too close and loader control hit my leg so that is out. Drove a CK 2620 non cab version around the yard and am really impressed by it. Very comfortable and smooth. I love the joystick for the loader location. They didn't have a cab version to try but can order one. The prices with rebates seem really good.
Second, on the way home I stopped at my Kubota dealer to have a come to Jesus discussion because my Sidekick warranty only has a couple weeks left. Turned out positive in the end. Apparently there was a meeting with a new Kubota rep about my problem and it seems like those emails I sent and these forums may have been read. The issue is being escalated and I got a promise it would be taken care of even if my warranty expired. The dealer was going to call me as I walked in. Still have to wait and see exactly how it will be fixed. No more talk of it being caused by me short tripping and there is nothing wrong with it so that makes me feel better. Hopefully I will know more next month and don't have to worry about using it for now.
Nice. Hope ya recorded that conversation at Kubota.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If it were me, I would have it back at the dealership BEFORE the warranty expires.

It can sit on their lot until it is repaired (under warranty) since you have it there and have expressed the problem to them (again) in writing before the warranty expired.

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
If it were me, I would have it back at the dealership BEFORE the warranty expires.

It can sit on their lot until it is repaired (under warranty) since you have it there and have expressed the problem to them (again) in writing before the warranty expired.
^THIS!