Seat Belts on a M5030su - Should There Be Some?

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I volunteer for the Kentucky Humane Society Equine Rescue, and they have a Kubota M5030 tractor (it came with the farm, I think). It has no seat belts. That series was made in the 90s, I believe. Should there not be some present? Or, is there a way to get some installed? Seems a safety issue to me, with volunteers and others using that tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
don't know about seatbelts BUT.....generally speaking..NO ONE should be operating ANY equipment if 1) they haven't been properly instructed how to operate it and 2) ONLY if they KNOW they are qualified TO operate it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it have a ROPS, if it does then yes it should have a seat belt.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If it does not have a ROPS, then no, it should not have seat belts.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Read this info from Kubota on ROPS.

Be certain to click on the link in the article.

Kubota has been making ROPS available for older tractors at a modest cost

Kubota ROPS

Dave

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it does have a ROPS. I can't tell if it was added or original. But being the model it is, built in the 90s, I would think both the ROPS and a seatbelt would have been standard.

So now, I either remove the ROPS or add seatbelts. Is that the reality? And what aftermarket seat belt systems are there, or is there a used market for seatbelts, that I could order from a scrap yard? I figure that since seatbelts are fabric, we should get new.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it does have a ROPS. I can't tell if it was added or original. But being the model it is, built in the 90s, I would think both the ROPS and a seatbelt would have been standard.

So now, I either remove the ROPS or add seatbelts. Is that the reality? And what aftermarket seat belt systems are there, or is there a used market for seatbelts, that I could order from a scrap yard? I figure that since seatbelts are fabric, we should get new.
Add seatbelts, make sure volunteers are trained in how easy it is to tip a tractor, and that they wear seatbelt. Start by calling dealer and ask what they've got. Around here the tractor dealers give a break to equine rescue groups, so mention that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If it was factory ROPS install, would ( should ?) it have a seatbelt from the factory ? If it should and it's missing, maybe order a unit from Kubota.
If 'aftermarket' installed, was it installed using proper fasteners, torque settings, etc. ?
Not to get 'fussy', but the ROPS should be inspected to be SURE it still is ROPS and not a 'lightbar'.
Have to ask...is the land really hilly ? Is there an actual need for the seatbelt ?

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
don't know about seatbelts BUT.....generally speaking..NO ONE should be operating ANY equipment if 1) they haven't been properly instructed how to operate it and 2) ONLY if they KNOW they are qualified TO operate it.
No disagreement there. But at least I can head off a lawsuit for not having a seatbelt.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
If it was factory ROPS install, would ( should ?) it have a seatbelt from the factory ? If it should and it's missing, maybe order a unit from Kubota.
If 'aftermarket' installed, was it installed using proper fasteners, torque settings, etc. ?
Not to get 'fussy', but the ROPS should be inspected to be SURE it still is ROPS and not a 'lightbar'.
Have to ask...is the land really hilly ? Is there an actual need for the seatbelt ?
That article from Kubota said, " Kubota has provided ROPS as standard equipment on new tractors since 1985. . ." This tractor, being a 5030, was made from '86 - '96, so would have come with factory ROPS. I can look at its condition. I suspect that someone in the last couple decades took the seatbelts off.

I can get a generic strap seatbelt from Northern Tool for $30, if there are places to bolt it down on the tractor. But I wonder if there is a better solution out there. I can ask the dealer.

Thanks, all.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
The land (30 acres) is rolling, but not hilly. Not sure that matters though. If you have a ROPS, you need a seatbelt. Especially for a non-profit organization.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

I've bought replacement belts for the L35 and M7040 on Amazon. Make sure you get tractor belts, not automobile. The tractor belts have ratchet tensioners. Cars have inertial tensioners that might not work in a tractor overturn situation.
There should be brackets on the seat. Hopefully, they weren't removed.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Deleted

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
529E03F9-B83C-494C-95A1-C980D242FAAD.png

83E32AF5-C5DC-47E7-B205-02E60AFF450B.png

This is what messicks shows (please verify). Looks to be a cinch style belt. May need to call to verify its still available.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Thanks all. I will check that out. Looking at the tractor itself, I don't see an obvious place to bolt it. There are lots of existing bolts to choose from, but not conveniently placed holes waiting for a bolt. Does look like they may have never been a seat belt. That diagram looks like it goes onto one of the bolts that holds down the ROPS.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thanks all. I will check that out. Looking at the tractor itself, I don't see an obvious place to bolt it. There are lots of existing bolts to choose from, but not conveniently placed holes waiting for a bolt. Does look like they may have never been a seat belt. That diagram looks like it goes onto one of the bolts that holds down the ROPS.
I would suspect it would bolt to the seat base or maybe the axle housing

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Jerry, since you are describing a tractor at a “charity”..their insurance etc may not allow this solution... but if you will call out to your local small airport operator or maintenance shop you will likely find they have a trash can with ordinary, plain seat belts in it which you can have for “free”. (Aircraft seat belts have data-tags on them that most inspectors require legibility and a lot of perfectly serviceable seat belts are thrown-away because the paper or cloth mfr’s tag has become illegible.)
I‘ve had one or two laying around my hangar occasionally and I’ve helped folks out if they PM me.. If you know a private aircraft owner or mx shop you might get lucky.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Jerry, since you are describing a tractor at a “charity”..their insurance etc may not allow this solution... but if you will call out to your local small airport operator or maintenance shop you will likely find they have a trash can with ordinary, plain seat belts in it which you can have for “free”. (Aircraft seat belts have data-tags on them that most inspectors require legibility and a lot of perfectly serviceable seat belts are thrown-away because the paper or cloth mfr’s tag has become illegible.)
I‘ve had one or two laying around my hangar occasionally and I’ve helped folks out if they PM me.. If you know a private aircraft owner or mx shop you might get lucky.
Hmm, let me ponder that. Interesting idea. We have a smaller, local airport here, but I don't know anyone personally. Also, I wonder if those would be long enough?

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I would suspect it would bolt to the seat base or maybe the axle housing
Here is a picture of that tractor and its new seat. I did call the dealer, talked to service person, but he was no help at all. I can't imagine that Kubota in 1990 would have sold a tractor with a ROPS and no seatbelt. But I don't see any obvious candidates for bolt locations.
HumaneKubotaTractor.jpg