running off of engine oil (run away)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Kinda wonder why you didn't remove head and rebuild it when you did all the rest of the work ? ANY engine that gets hot enough to do the amage you reported HAS to have done 'something' bad to the top end.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
When you say runaway is the engine climbing in RPM uncontrollably? How are you able to shut the engine down? Are you using the mechanical stop lever?
Usually when an engine is running away on oil they tend to go and are difficult to shutdown. I am thinking more in the line of a bad injector or stuck pump unit but you say the rack is moving. Are all the plungers turning when you move the rack?

jtduncansr

Equipment
hustler 72 excel mower
Jan 21, 2021
wilmington nc
Kubota D1105 3 cylinder in a lawn mower will run away if I let it. It cranks and runs without turning on the fuel. It has 350 lbs. per cylinder compression. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?
I lowered the engine oil to the add oil dot, did not help one bit.
A little history, this pos came to me with a broken crankshaft, which wiped out the bearing cases. I installed a set of good cases, a reground crank, new rod and crank bearings, new rings after I broke the glaze on the cylinders, which measured with in wear tolerance, and all new seals.
Right now I am thinking that I might pull the engine and try a different brand of rings.
Sorry for the delayed response as I have been under the weather.
The pos update. Thanks for all the input. I don't know why I do and do not do somethings. I purchased a valve spring compressor, pulled the injectors, turned by hand the engine over and replaced the valve seals on each cylinder.
I put it all back together and when I cranked it over to bleed the injectors as soon as I closed the last injector nut it fired up and took off just as before.
More info I have convinced myself that it is the injector pump, why? When I got this pos the injector pump rods were stuck in the compressed position. I removed the pump disassembled, cleaned and replaced all seals. I have now pulled it turned the rods around 180 degrees and as should it pumps no fuel. I then installed the rods as per spec. and it fires up and runs wide open.
The owner said he had the pump rebuilt, I could see evidence of this work. The owner does not remember if it ran on this rebuilt pump.
I know the slots in the rods meter the fuel based on the racks position. When it is running I can stick my finger in the throttle hole and move the rack back and forth with no change in the running. So, the question of the hour is could the rebuild guy have put the wrong rods in the pump? How would I determine the correct rods? I do not want to throw more money into this thing by purchasing a pump. Anyone with a loaner pump?

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Did you check out this thread? Particularly entry #13

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
The pos update. Thanks for all the input. I don't know why I do and do not do somethings. I purchased a valve spring compressor, pulled the injectors, turned by hand the engine over and replaced the valve seals on each cylinder.
I put it all back together and when I cranked it over to bleed the injectors as soon as I closed the last injector nut it fired up and took off just as before.
More info I have convinced myself that it is the injector pump, why? When I got this pos the injector pump rods were stuck in the compressed position. I removed the pump disassembled, cleaned and replaced all seals. I have now pulled it turned the rods around 180 degrees and as should it pumps no fuel. I then installed the rods as per spec. and it fires up and runs wide open.
The owner said he had the pump rebuilt, I could see evidence of this work. The owner does not remember if it ran on this rebuilt pump.
I know the slots in the rods meter the fuel based on the racks position. When it is running I can stick my finger in the throttle hole and move the rack back and forth with no change in the running. So, the question of the hour is could the rebuild guy have put the wrong rods in the pump? How would I determine the correct rods? I do not want to throw more money into this thing by purchasing a pump. Anyone with a loaner pump?
Clock the rods back to where it does not run. This is the right position. You should have a little bleeding of fuel lines to make it run. It should not run even remotely close to full throttle, that is how I know you got them backwards. They are more than likely the right ones bc the bore length and size are correct otherwise they would not fit. You should notice the throttle arm that the throttle cable attaches to, will have a quarter inch of springiness to the right. That is fuel shut off, it springs back left to the idle spot. If it does not, something in the pump is stuck. It will not start if the rack is stuck in the fuel cutoff position. I have had a few get stuck (horizontal rack, not vertical fuel pistons). The thing in no way should run full throttle if the pump rods are in the correct position. Test for the lever springiness, and report back, I will bet it does not spring back. The magnetic solenoid pushes the throttle lever past the springiness, thus shutting down the engine. Hope this helps

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep it sounds like you didn't time the rack, there are timing marks on all the gears and case.

jtduncansr

Equipment
hustler 72 excel mower
Jan 21, 2021
wilmington nc
Clock the rods back to where it does not run. This is the right position. You should have a little bleeding of fuel lines to make it run. It should not run even remotely close to full throttle, that is how I know you got them backwards. They are more than likely the right ones bc the bore length and size are correct otherwise they would not fit. You should notice the throttle arm that the throttle cable attaches to, will have a quarter inch of springiness to the right. That is fuel shut off, it springs back left to the idle spot. If it does not, something in the pump is stuck. It will not start if the rack is stuck in the fuel cutoff position. I have had a few get stuck (horizontal rack, not vertical fuel pistons). The thing in no way should run full throttle if the pump rods are in the correct position. Test for the lever springiness, and report back, I will bet it does not spring back. The magnetic solenoid pushes the throttle lever past the springiness, thus shutting down the engine. Hope this helps
Thanks, I gave it a try with no success, I am now thinking perhaps the wrong pump may have been installed. I can slow the engine down by restricting the fuel flow to the the injector pump. The owner removed the shut off solenoid and installed a block off plate. My son has a Kubota excavator with this same engine I will see if he will let me borrow this units injector pump, but it will have to be week after next as he is using it on a job.

jtduncansr

Equipment
hustler 72 excel mower
Jan 21, 2021
wilmington nc
Thanks, I gave it a try with no success, I am now thinking perhaps the wrong pump may have been installed. I can slow the engine down by restricting the fuel flow to the the injector pump. The owner removed the shut off solenoid and installed a block off plate. My son has a Kubota excavator with this same engine I will see if he will let me borrow this units injector pump, but it will have to be week after next as he is using it on a job.
Back again, after pulling the pump and turning the rods 180 it still ran away. So I quit for the day. Sitting on the couch I got to thinking about what I had just done. I came to the conclusion that I had pulled the rods and put them back in just as I had removed them. So, I pulled the pump and that is exactly what I had done. It runs great now, thank you, thank you, thank you.
You know when the old guy tells the young guy that he has forgotten more than young guys knows, well what he really means is he has forgotten most of what he now knows. I should know as I am 76 and counting. Thanks again to all of you and your inputs.

Reactions: 1 user

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Back again, after pulling the pump and turning the rods 180 it still ran away. So I quit for the day. Sitting on the couch I got to thinking about what I had just done. I came to the conclusion that I had pulled the rods and put them back in just as I had removed them. So, I pulled the pump and that is exactly what I had done. It runs great now, thank you, thank you, thank you.
You know when the old guy tells the young guy that he has forgotten more than young guys knows, well what he really means is he has forgotten most of what he now knows. I should know as I am 76 and counting. Thanks again to all of you and your inputs.
I have zero experience with diesel engines, but I was very impressed with your very detailed description of all the work you did to bring back to life the engine, so you know your stuff.
I thought that something minor that probably had been done wrong previously by somebody else was the gotcha. Great to know that you are happy now.
Cheers!