TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
two things:

1) it bears the PowderStroke icon. Compelling.

2) it bears iconography of my favorite race car: the GT 40. Very compelling.

RESULT: I must has. I'm draining the Kubota OEM engine lubricant immediately and moving post-haste to my nearest FoMoCo service dept.
Cheaper at AutoZone which is where that jug was purchased.

Dan

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This is the only thing you should ever use. Look at all of those OEM appovals. Cost Shell a lot to put that on the label so you know its good stuff...

Dan

View attachment 125828

View attachment 125829
But Dan, (speaking in a high pitched voice) "BUT this oil will cause sludge in my engine and ruin it!"

Yes - I am making a joke - sorry I could not resist. :LOL:

Got two gallons sitting on the shelf waiting for me to pop the top!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can't believe we are using FORD as a Quality standard. :unsure: 🥴 :ROFLMAO:

NOW, NOW it's a joke you FORD FANs! ;)

It's a Joke to own one! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm so confused now.

I just need someone to confirm that my gambit of purchasing the most expensive engine oil not only provides the most protection for my BX23S lawn mower but also gives me license to browbeat anyone whom uses an economic lubricant that still satisfies OEM grade and API service metrics.

Canna has, plz?

edit: the browbeating part is the most important to me.
Bow beating..... Denied. :(;)

Unless it's picking on the ford owner, then APPROVED! 😁 😁 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good tip ... thanks!

There's lots of "feel" when it comes to tractor, car, truck or boat ownership, and if someone likes to add Slick50 or whatever to their crankcase because they think it makes their tractor feel better, which makes them feel better than it's all good.

No amount of alcohol is good for us (supposedly), but if we "feel" better for it then it's not as simple as saying alcohol is bad.
Alcohol not good for us…Now that’s just blasphemy😉

Honestly I dont know how I missed this thread this past week…this has made my late afternoon.

As far as oils in small engines, GN4 or die. 😉 🥃

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I guess you did not read the link.

Dan
When a product is tested by a party independent of the manufacturer, and signs off that the product meets the testing party's own standards, it's called a certification, not a license. There is no trademark for WSS-M2C171-F1 and therefore no need to license it. It's simply a Ford in-house test protocol, but for the right amount of money, they will certify that another oil that they didn't make passes that set of test criteria.

Just last week I was working on a set of drawings for a feature on a firearm that is trademarked, is licensed, is patented and the company who owns the design is more than happy to let us incorporate their design if we add their logo to the feature.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Alcohol not good for us…Now that’s just blasphemy😉

Honestly I dont know how I missed this thread this past week…this has made my late afternoon.

As far as oils in small engines, GN4 or die. 😉 🥃
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! 😂

• Haha

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Interestingly Ford seems to have decided to save a little money and skip API licensing for their diesel engine oil. No sign of any API certification on the label. Its not an API licensed product so dont put this in that high dollar Kubota lawnmower if you value your warranty....

Dan

View attachment 125823

View attachment 125824
FoMoCo oil missing the API cert is what I bring up when the purists freak that Amsoil doesn't have the WSS-M2C171-F1 cert. Then I sit back and watch the veins pop out.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
When a product is tested by a party independent of the manufacturer, and signs off that the product meets the testing party's own standards, it's called a certification, not a license. There is no trademark for WSS-M2C171-F1 and no need to license it. It's simply a Ford in-house test protocol, but for the right amount of money, they will certify that another oil that they didn't make passes that set of test criteria.
You can argue semantics all you want. These programs are all called licensing by the industry.

Testing is generally not in house by the OEM. Its third party using the OEMs specifications and procedures. The manufacturer pays the third party for testing, submits the results to the OEM for certification, and pays a licensing fee to the OEM for products they market carrying the OEM approval.

API licenses their certification mark (the donut) and they get a recurring licensing fee from all of the producers based on production volumes.

API’s Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers that meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks. Launched in 1993, API’s Engine Oil Program is a cooperative effort between the oil and additive industries and vehicle and engine manufacturers Ford, General Motors, and Fiat Chrysler and those represented by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association and the Truck and Engine Manufacturers Association. The performance requirements and test methods are established by vehicle and engine manufacturers and technical societies and trade associations such as (ASTM), (SAE), and the American Chemistry Council (ACC).

GM licenses DEXOS approvals and the use of thier logo. They get a recurring license fee from all of the producers based on product volume.

1000002542.jpg

This site allows Original Formulators to submit engine and elastomer test data along with composition, physical and chemical data for review by GM in order to be designated as an approved dexos® formulation. In addition, a 1-gallon oil sample must be submitted to the ASTM Test Monitoring Center for analysis.

The site also allows Blenders and Branders to submit application requests to General Motors and their licensing body for a
dexos® license.

Licensed
Blenders manufacture engine oil meeting the dexos® specification using previously approved additives and formulations obtained from additive suppliers. An initial production and yearly sample (1-gallon) will be required for the life of the license. Contact CCA on how to become a Licensed Blender.

Licensed Branders purchase fully formulated dexos® oil from a Licensed Blender and repackage the oil under their own brand name(s).3 Licensed Branders must comply with dexos Artwork Standards for product labels. Contact CCA on how to become a Licensed Brander.

The actual testing is a small cottage industry of its own. One of the largest providers is Southwest Research Institute {SWRI). They provide both API and OEM testing services to prospective licensees.

Last edited:

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
My 1981 Civic did not do well with Ams oil and a bipass filter, which they advertised good for 100,000 mi. at 95,000 I had to put smaller tires on it to make the hills it use to do with no problem, next car 1986 Maxima, cheap generic WM oil changed every 5,000mi, cheapest gas I would run in it, drove it to the junk yard with 515,000mi, not in pretty condition, but the best car I will have ever owned, stick shift, just about everything original on it. Better to change regularly then to play the high milage oil game.
Sorry Ams oil lovers, including my Dad, just did not work for me.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My 1981 Civic did not do well with Ams oil and a bipass filter, which they advertised good for 100,000 mi. at 95,000 I had to put smaller tires on it to make the hills it use to do with no problem, next car 1986 Maxima, cheap generic WM oil changed every 5,000mi, cheapest gas I would run in it, drove it to the junk yard with 515,000mi, not in pretty condition, but the best car I will have ever owned, stick shift, just about everything original on it. Better to change regularly then to play the high milage oil game.
That's a very scientific comparison. 🙄

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Just because you have a OPINION on a product being bad does not make it fact.
So there is no need for someone else to have to back up their Opinion that they think it's fine.

This is why oil threads are pointless!

And it's been noted by several, that you are 2 weeks and 16 posts in and you've already pushed a few buttons. :unsure:
I'm finding it comical that you choose to pick on the 2 MODERATORS of this forum. 👍 😁

Wanna go at the third just to round things out? 🥴
Things finally slowed down around here and I signed on to see what was new and to ask a few questions.
My buddy has a Moto Guzzi 1000CC motorcycle. Believe it or not his owner's manual recommends Rotella T-6 in the 5W-40 grade IIRC. And no it's not a diesel :D
I run it in my zero turn Husqvarna mower with a 26 hp Kawasaki air cooled engine. It has a better additive and detergent package and a higher TBN than gasoline engine oil. Seems Kawasaki engines like to eat lifters if run hard in high heat. 22 years and the engine is trouble free.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I use Amsoil signature 0W-20 in my Tacoma. Oil and filter changes every 6K. Oil wears out no matter what. Like you, I don't buy into the extended change intervals.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am TOTALLY in YOUR AMSOIL camp.
Nearly ruined GMC transmission with AMSOIL!
Brought it back with GM fluid, and was doing just fine when I sold 8 years later.
AMS/SNAKE/OIL.....NEVER AGAIN!!!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
A guy can't have too many guns, or grills. :D
Just put my almost $1000 POC Toro Snowblower away for warm weather into back garage. Did a drain and fill on it with my T6 at same time. At least the engine is good :D