Rock Rake

Kickit

Aug 4, 2012
Southern, Illinois
I’m surrounded by pine trees which is nice but it’s a chore keeping pine needles and limbs cleaned up...I’m not concerned with the lawn it stays clean but looking for something I could drag around the wooded areas. Has anyone used a rock rake with success to drag leaves, branches, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I would also like to hear ideas for cleaning up pine needles.

earljr59

Equipment
L3301fel,forks, gear/shuttle,72"bushhog brand finish mower,60"&72"rotary mowers,
Jan 18, 2019
Fairfield illinois,usa
I have a heavier "Landscape Rake" I use on pine needles and leaves in the fall. It also does a great job on driveways. You can angle it to pull your rock back towards the center of the drive, then pin it straight and smooth it out. I use it a lot more than my box blade or regular blade. If I have road millings or disced up dirt the rake will let me drag chunks and clods into piles. Type in landscape rake and you can see the king kutter brands and others. Rural King and Tractor Supply carry them around here. Or shop used and craigslist.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have a heavier "Landscape Rake" I use on pine needles and leaves in the fall. It also does a great job on driveways. You can angle it to pull your rock back towards the center of the drive, then pin it straight and smooth it out. I use it a lot more than my box blade or regular blade. If I have road millings or disced up dirt the rake will let me drag chunks and clods into piles. Type in landscape rake and you can see the king kutter brands and others. Rural King and Tractor Supply carry them around here. Or shop used and craigslist.
I like the landscape rake route as well. Lots of other uses.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pine straw rake would be the best! ;)

I have a landscape rake and it works pitifully on needles and twigs. :(

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Personally I'd leave them be unless I was pining for some seat time. Would chopping them up with a brush mower make things better or worse?

Kickit

Aug 4, 2012
Southern, Illinois
Personally I'd leave them be unless I was pining for some seat time. Would chopping them up with a brush mower make things better or worse?
Thanks Bucktail...yes that’s what I have been doing for the past several years I was just hoping to find other options especially when the needles cover my drive which is pretty long.

Butlesus

Equipment
B2150
Jan 28, 2019
Lerna, IL
I have a heavy 72 inch rock rake that works great on cleaning up pine needles as well as working great on my rock driveway shaping it up .

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I probably would take them off the driveway. You don't want organic matter in your gravel.

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
I tried the 3pt rotating wheel design and it was a disaster for pine needles and cones. Finally purchased a 3pt King Kutter Landscape Rake and am quite pleased - the tines are heavier. I maintain 1,100 pine trees on my property and also use the rake for debris/limbs and small rock piling and relocation.