Rear ballast

wiltff

Equipment
L3800 HST & FEL. 66" LP Tiller, 72" EA Boxblade, 84" Woods disc, 96" rake
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
What is the ideal weight to hang off the back of an L3800? I have the tires filled already, just trying to offset the loader bucket. I'm just going to hang some weights on the 3pt, just don't know how much.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
What is the ideal weight to hang off the back of an L3800? I have the tires filled already, just trying to offset the loader bucket. I'm just going to hang some weights on the 3pt, just don't know how much.
If you can dig up a manual for that machine there is a section explaining what rear ballast to use dependent on the FEL you have.

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I built a ballast barrel. A 30 gallon plastic barrel with five 90 lb bags of sackcrete. Added a 3" ABS pipe for tool holder way cool! Low center of gravity. I'm not packing extra weight like beet juice when I have to go out on soft, wet pasture.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Double duty ballast.. I have a 100' of chain I occasionally use to persuade trees which way to fall and like to have it handy. Also the factory rear bagger is quite fragile when it comes to inadvertently backing into trees, so a steel protective frame was built around it.

So when I added the FEL, the weight of the chain and protective steel made sufficient rear weight ballast.

Attachments

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I bought a LandPride box blade (BB1248) for counterweight on my BX1870. Now, my poor front tires don't get squished when I have the loader bucket full of dirt or whatever. I'm very happy with it. After going thru the brief hassle of removing/mounting the BB many times, I decided to get the quick hitch (QH05) to make it so much easier. Glad I did that. Now, if only there was an upgrade to my loader/frame for a quick hitch option, I'd be golden! LoL

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I had gift cards to Amazon so I bought a Heavy Hitch w/weight bar hitch adapter and visited a local "green" store and hung some mysteriously orange weights on the back. I have two more but found with the weight of the hitch, (Just shy of 50 lbs), plus the four x 41 lb suitcase weights, it counters what I have moved with the FEL so far just fine. They are taken off when I'm mowing. It adds up to about 212 lbs using 4 of them plus the hitch. (Little BX1500).
It is strange looking at an orange jumping deer though! I'll need to add some epoxy puddy and sand the middles smooth. Soon! :D

Attachments