Quieter HST tractor

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Tractor was just serviced by dealer.
Included changing out HST fluids including front axle & filters.
210 hours on tractor.
HST is much quieter!
Seemed to quiet down the high pitch trans and FEL whine.
Can still hear the trans and FEL working but much easier on the ears.
Super UDT2 was used, which is what this 4060HST calls for.
HST whine has been discussed on this forum before and I am pleasantly surprised that a fluid & filter change can quiet the system down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tractor was just serviced by dealer.
Included changing out HST fluids including front axle & filters.
210 hours on tractor.
HST is much quieter!
Seemed to quiet down the high pitch trans and FEL whine.
Can still hear the trans and FEL working but much easier on the ears.
Super UDT2 was used, which is what this 4060HST calls for.
HST whine has been discussed on this forum before and I am pleasantly surprised that a fluid & filter change can quiet the system down.

Even though the BX series does not call for the hydraulic fluid change till way up there in hours.....I am gonna change mine to S-UDT2 here soon....

I cant wait to be easier on the ears!!!;) I also agree - higher RPM = less noise

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Is the original fluid that comes in one the SUDT2 or is there a break-in oil in it?

Sorry, mechanical stuff definitely isn't my forte. I am going to do the same on my MX5100. She gets a bit loud in road gear!!

Doc

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Is the original fluid that comes in one the SUDT2 or is there a break-in oil in it?

Sorry, mechanical stuff definitely isn't my forte. I am going to do the same on my MX5100. She gets a bit loud in road gear!!

Doc
It probably just had standard UDT in it. It's been reported many times that SUDT2 is quieter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I changed out to the super last time in Lil Orange,, and yeah it made a big difference

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Strange, when I said Amsoil made my tractors quieter people said I imagined it that oil wouldn't make any difference.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bulldog, you gotta know if you sell any product without having a big box store you're a target for every ridiculous statement ever made. Just the way the free market system works. And there are a lot of items folks want to tell you about that deserve the questioning.

You have to be tough skinned to put up with the 'know it all"!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I changed out to the super last time in Lil Orange,, and yeah it made a big difference
Skeets,

other than your ears - what other benefits do you find using S-UDT2?:)

cold weather?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And this again, could be just my imagination. But really does sound quieter but then I dont hear that well any more however the OL said it sounds quieter,, seems to run cooler, and in the winter doesent seem to take that long to warm up to use the blade like it did before the change.,,, So ot might be me I duno but as far as I am concerned it made a big change,, and left me with LITTLE change, in the wallet afterwards too :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I believe you Skeets. I don't know if it's faster winter warm up as much as it's better cold weather flow. I bet you get better fuel economy as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Strange, when I said Amsoil made my tractors quieter people said I imagined it that oil wouldn't make any difference.
So true.

As you and D2Cat were saying, quality is worth the $$.

I'd try it, if you were in my 'hood. I know the local "guy", and not so eager to do business with him. Downside of a very rural area.

A buddy bought a Mahindra, and bitched about the cost of low-end TSC HF. Will not consider fluid/filter changes until well after OPS Manual intervals. Synthetic motor oil costs too much, etc., etc. His machine sits for weeks at a time. Sounds like a recipe for problems later.

I use SUDT2, and Rotella T6 hoping quality is there. Also do motor oil twice per year, which is overkill, but makes me feel better.:D

And it is true - at 38 hours a total SUDT2 HF change made my HST MUCH quieter!!:D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Funny thing, when I did my 50 hour break-in oil change, my transmission got louder. But I am in Canada and we have what they call Kubota Premium UDT. There is no Super UDT here.
So I don't know what came in the tractor or what the Premium UDT is. There have been many posts saying who makes the Canadian and U.S. oils......but which one do you believe??

So I'm going to try something at my next hydro oil change. I bought a pail of Super UDT from the States and I'll see if it makes any difference in noise.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
So true.

As you and D2Cat were saying, quality is worth the $$.

I'd try it, if you were in my 'hood. I know the local "guy", and not so eager to do business with him. Downside of a very rural area.
You could always go direct to Amsoil and either become a dealer or get a preferred customer account that way you order your on direct from the factory. I became a dealer just to make it easier to order my oil. Doesn't cost much to start a dealership plus you get a monthly magazine and discounts on the oil you buy. There's no minimum you have to buy, no harassment, no pressure to sell, just order what you need and move on.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to sell anything, just passing on information :cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You know how it is, kind of like poking a ant hill with a stick. Sooner or later they'll sneak up and bite you.

For some around here if it's not Rotella, Delo, Kubota or anything that comes from Wally World it's the start of the next oil war. I'll probably get a warning shot or two from this but maybe it won't be too bad. I'll have to say it's getting better though. I can remember just saying anything about synthetic lubricants was about like peeing under the stall on a strangers boots, never worked out well. I think when Kubota introduced the SUDT2 more people started coming around to the idea that synthetics are good for our orange babies. Who knows, in a year or two I might be able to mention Amsoil and not have to duck for cover...:eek: :D

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Just changed all fluids at 300 hrs last weekend. Bought it with 269 hrs. UDT2 used. Didnt notice the HST any quieter but the FEL is smoother and changing from forward to reverse isnt "notchy" if that makes sense?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You know how it is, kind of like poking a ant hill with a stick. Sooner or later they'll sneak up and bite you.

For some around here if it's not Rotella, Delo, Kubota or anything that comes from Wally World it's the start of the next oil war. I'll probably get a warning shot or two from this but maybe it won't be too bad. I'll have to say it's getting better though. I can remember just saying anything about synthetic lubricants was about like peeing under the stall on a strangers boots, never worked out well. I think when Kubota introduced the SUDT2 more people started coming around to the idea that synthetics are good for our orange babies. Who knows, in a year or two I might be able to mention Amsoil and not have to duck for cover...:eek: :D

Bulldog,

let me go ahead and stick the knife in those that are running around with their eyes closed.......you my friend see things 20-20!:)

For those who are a little less gifted in the oil business.....AMSOIL is in the drivers seat when it comes to oil.....synthetic OIL !!! There is none better, go ahead and try to argue this, there is none - test after test - it is the best lubricant made PERIOD!

read up if you will......lets see - a US jet fighter pilot - Al Amatuzio "invented" Amsoil in '72 (see his name?) and it is labeled the "first" synthetic made ......based on NASA technology....and not to open a can of worms here, but NASA folks have created or invented more stuff than most could dream about......

I have used it on several occasions.....great stuff - yes, it is a bit pricey....but good stuff is expensive. Those who really do not believe that synthetics oils......do an overall better job are just ....let me say this without hurting anyone's feelings......S T U P I D !

Those you think that placing 30 weight in your tractor is the right idea, well go ahead and do it ....by all means.....those who change their car oil every 3000 miles, by all means do so! :)

Oils today are just a wee bit better than oils in the past! (inject sarcasm here)

sorry for hijacking the thread - but dang gone it - read up on things that you dont understand.....please- do your research and open your eyes!!!

Next someone will tell me that the earth is 6,000 years old and dinosaurs ran around with humans.......

ok - I'll stop now before I really get rolling.....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
85Hokie, you are right about the dinosaurs and the humans, because I just read it on the internet so it has to be right. RIGHT???
just kidding