PTOs get stuck, it's common but could it be bad?

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
About.... 6 inches? I backed up to slide it together again and then when I went forward it fell off like normal. I didn't just keep dragging it I figured it was a bad thing. This post is more of a curiosity of how that section is built in a tractor
I was just thinking out loud about the PTO shaft sticking. The force they're designed for? Who knows? There is a post about a guy strapping his to a tree to get it off and as for as I know he didn't break it. That being said, there have been cases broke from having too long of a PTO shaft and raising the implement.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I was just thinking out loud about the PTO shaft sticking. The force they're designed for? Who knows? There is a post about a guy strapping his to a tree to get it off and as for as I know he didn't break it. That being said, there have been cases broke from having too long of a PTO shaft and raising the implement.
Too long yea rule #1 always watch your pto length the first time you attach to a different tractor that hasn't had that implement before. Also yea I had a really old pto once that had been sitting and I pulled it apart with 2 tractors (rope not the the stubs) but generally they aren't that bad. Idk if I'd tie it to a tree with the other part still on the stub shaft that seems like a bad idea but..... it worked eh

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There is a very simple solution, clean the PTO shaft on your tractor really well. Now run your finger across the splines and at the locking groove. You are probably going to find raised edges and burrs which you need to file or grind down smoothly. Once the shaft is back in proper form, check it inside of the implement yokes. Clean a dress them smooth.

We have several customers a year that bring in a tractor plus a front PTO section because it hangs up. It's always the same procedure.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
There is a very simple solution, clean the PTO shaft on your tractor really well. Now run your finger across the splines and at the locking groove. You are probably going to find raised edges and burrs which you need to file or grind down smoothly. Once the shaft is back in proper form, check it inside of the implement yokes. Clean a dress them smooth.

We have several customers a year that bring in a tractor plus a front PTO section because it hangs up. It's always the same procedure.
I'll add it to my winter maintenance list.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Don’t use grease on PTO shafts and the locking mechanism because it will stiffen up too much over time. We also have used, Bar and Chain oil because it clings well to the metal, doesn’t run off like lighter oil and lubricates well. If you are having trouble with shafts falling off or not coming off, then it’s time to step up your maintenance program and spend some time doing a good job of cleaning the shafts and locking mechanisms up, then properly lubricating them.

Reactions: 1 users

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Don’t use grease on PTO shafts and the locking mechanism because it will stiffen up too much over time. We also have used, Bar and Chain oil because it clings well to the metal, doesn’t run off like lighter oil and lubricates well. If you are having trouble with shafts falling off or not coming off, then it’s time to step up your maintenance program and spend some time doing a good job of cleaning the shafts and locking mechanisms up, then properly lubricating them.
Good info, it's Generally only the ones not used alot sitting outside that get so bad. I definitely can try bar and chain.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good info, it's Generally only the ones not used alot sitting outside that get so bad. I definitely can try bar and chain.
Can you remove the shafts and store them indoors? May be too much trouble for some implements but would cut down on the amount of rust.

Sorry about the grease recommendations, I live in Texas and don’t consider what cold temperatures can do. I think that something like white lithium grease is good for cold but I don’t really know much about it. You might stop by a snow mobile shop and ask them what they recommend.

Since you mentioned that you have shaft’s without covers you can get the safety shields from
Bare-co.com

I have one and it is easy to get the shield loose to slide back out of the way to connect the shaft to the tractor and then reattach it when connected. It has some levers that pull up by hand instead of having to use some tool. But you would probably have gloves on and need a small pry bar to use.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Can you remove the shafts and store them indoors? May be too much trouble for some implements but would cut down on the amount of rust.

Sorry about the grease recommendations, I live in Texas and don’t consider what cold temperatures can do. I think that something like white lithium grease is good for cold but I don’t really know much about it. You might stop by a snow mobile shop and ask them what they recommend.

Since you mentioned that you have shaft’s without covers you can get the safety shields from
Bare-co.com

I have one and it is easy to get the shield loose to slide back out of the way to connect the shaft to the tractor and then reattach it when connected. It has some levers that pull up by hand instead of having to use some tool. But you would probably have gloves on and need a small pry bar to use.
Dosen't help we have 5 years worth of rain this summer. Cool that you can buy just the covers thanks for that info