PTOs get stuck, it's common but could it be bad?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I find it very common (atleast around here) for Ptos to get stuck, won't slide then won't latch then won't unlatch... ect. Generally when they get stuck attached I just unhook everything else and slowly drive away, drive shaft comes apart and I got to my shop to get it unhooked from the tractor.... usually just some lube and a hammer. Clean it all up and sometimes it'll be good for a while or siezed again in a month when I go hook it up. Dosen't happen much with stuff stored inside atleast. Anyways long story short today my bush hog did this and I did my usual drive ahead slow, falls apart then get the front part off.

Here is the odd part, istead of it falling off it started dragging the bush hog along then did fall off but I got thinking.... how bad is this for the tractor when it sticks? Usually the sliding part will stick but not that hard so I never had it do this before but I never thought how much force are machines Generally designed to handle in the pull/push direction since that's not normally part of their job but it can be

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
They are always moving in and out so you would think they would need to handle a certain amount of thurst force. Anyone ever have the nub pull right out? I haven't but I'm curious

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should have a freely sliding inner and outer shaft. They are supposed to get some grease applied every once in a while. The plastic shield keeps it pretty clean so there is less c of it getting dirty and stuck.

if the implement is heavy enough then it could damage the case around the
PTO stub shaft if you lifted the implement and the shaft got stuck and then you tried to lower the implement. Sometimes that is part of the rear axel case so I would not want to risk cracking that. I don’t think that part of the tractor is designed to hold much force.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The PTO is not meant to be pushed nor pulled on, you're taking a chance doing severe internal damage. I would go get the tools necessary to get the shaft off where the tractor sits.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also if the coupler is getting stuck onto the tractor stub shaft, then you should probably clean the shaft with brake cleaner and a wire brush. Then grease it well.

Also clean the PTO shaft inside the coupler and grease it also.

It makes it much easier to install and remove the coupler.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Spray it with Deep Creep and when you get it apart, use some brake cleaner to clean all the parts, and then properly lubricate them and make sure that the balls in the socket that goes on the PTO shaft are moving like they are supposed to. I suggest that you start doing more preventative maintenance on your equipment or you are going to be paying a lot of money to have it professionally repaired. From your description of the problem, it sounds like you tend to ignore the maintenance until it becomes problematic and difficult.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
The PTO is not meant to be pushed nor pulled on, you're taking a chance doing severe internal damage. I would go get the tools necessary to get the shaft off where the tractor sits.
This is the first time it has ever gotten stuck like that it usually just slides apart and I need tools for the latch part. I was surprised that it caught like that. Well first time I can think of... I didn't they could stick that hard especially since we had this one apart, greesed up and put back together only a month or 2 ago.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Spray it with Deep Creep and when you get it apart, use some brake cleaner to clean all the parts, and then properly lubricate them and make sure that the balls in the socket that goes on the PTO shaft are moving like they are supposed to. I suggest that you start doing more preventative maintenance on your equipment or you are going to be paying a lot of money to have it professionally repaired. From your description of the problem, it sounds like you tend to ignore the maintenance until it becomes problematic and difficult.
It may sound like that but generally isn't the case. I had this apart, cleaned up and greesed up only a month or 2 prior so I was surprised it stuck like that. Usually it's my manure spreader shafts that sit for so many months and even oiled up and greesed they still sometimes end up stuck. I have tractors that are 30-35 years old with over 8-10k hours on them that work fine I definitely do matinance I just can't ever seem to keep drive shafts on machines that sit outside from siezing up.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
This is the first time it has ever gotten stuck like that it usually just slides apart and I need tools for the latch part. I was surprised that it caught like that. Well first time I can think of... I didn't they could stick that hard especially since we had this one apart, greesed up and put back together only a month or 2 ago.
Just a suggestion, maybe it's time for a new PTO shaft. They aren't cheap, but it's definitely cheaper than having your tractor damaged and out of service.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
You should have a freely sliding inner and outer shaft. They are supposed to get some grease applied every once in a while. The plastic shield keeps it pretty clean so there is less c of it getting dirty and stuck.

if the implement is heavy enough then it could damage the case around the
PTO stub shaft if you lifted the implement and the shaft got stuck and then you tried to lower the implement. Sometimes that is part of the rear axel case so I would not want to risk cracking that. I don’t think that part of the tractor is designed to hold much force.
Alot of our old equipment either has no plastic guard left or a metal one. So rust dosen't help the situation.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Alot of our old equipment either has no plastic guard left or a metal one. So rust dosen't help the situation.
Perhaps something like a one gallon jug, that has a heavily impregnated greased rag weaved into it with cordage to keep it there. When finished, put the jug over it, or in it.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Just a suggestion, maybe it's time for a new PTO shaft. They aren't cheap, but it's definitely cheaper than having your tractor damaged and out of service.
Many things could need new shafts but when it's certain things that sit alot even a new one will have the latch stick. This was a very strange occurrence and I didn't drag it across the yard or anything It just peaked my curiosity if someone had this happen with somthing that couldn't easily be drug along how much thrust are these designed for.

Latches sticking is common, usually some lube and taps with a hammer and all is good. Shafts not sliding easy is also common but never to that point.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Many things could need new shafts but when it's certain things that sit alot even a new one will have the latch stick. This was a very strange occurrence and I didn't drag it across the yard or anything It just peaked my curiosity if someone had this happen with somthing that couldn't easily be drug along how much thrust are these designed for.

Latches sticking is common, usually some lube and taps with a hammer and all is good. Shafts not sliding easy is also common but never to that point.
There are solutions, I would think, better? See my previous response.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Perhaps something like a one gallon jug, that has a heavily impregnated greased rag weaved into it with cordage to keep it there. When finished, put the jug over it, or in it.
There are solutions, I would think, better? See my previous response.
I was typing that message as yours came through. Always solutions, generally they just fall apart and it's no issue.... it's possible it froze together this time. This post was more of a curious of how they design the stub shaft. My normal thing isn't to drag stuff along by the PTO this caught me off gaurd.

Any idea what the best greese is for a PTO shaft that it won't go hard over the winter?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I know a way that...if you took the time to make them, all the PTO shafts on your implements (along with the operator) would be in overall better condition.

You mentioned they are exposed to the elements. Alright, what about cutting a length schedule 40 PVC pipe to the length of the PTO shaft? Split it in half, then drill holes in both pieces so you can lace (or wire) them together. Somehow attach a layer of rags to the full internal length. When finished with the implement, slip the clamshell pipe you made over the PTO shaft. It would be out of the elements, and the rags would help fight the rust.

Just a thought.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I know a way that...if you took the time to make them, all the PTO shafts on your implements (along with the operator) would be in overall better condition.

You mentioned they are exposed to the elements. Alright, what about cutting a length schedule 40 PVC pipe to the length of the PTO shaft? Split it in half, then drill holes in both pieces so you can lace (or wire) them together. Somehow attach a layer of rags to the full internal length. When finished with the implement, slip the clamshell pipe you made over the PTO shaft. It would be out of the elements, and the rags would help fight the rust.

Just a thought.
It has to be somthing simple that when my worker or my dad is putting it on or taking it off they don't have to think to hard otherwise they will break it or keep calling me lol.

Even 2 pieces of pipe sliding inside eachother to replace the old gaurd would probably help alot. Also greese that dosen't go hard over winter

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
How far did it drag the bush hog?
Here's a wacky thought. As you were pulling away a vacuum/low pressure was created inside the PTO shaft that took a couple of seconds to equalize. You said you greased it up not too long ago, the grease could have made a pretty good seal between the two shafts.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
How far did it drag the bush hog?
Here's a wacky thought. As you were pulling away a vacuum/low pressure was created inside the PTO shaft that took a couple of seconds to equalize. You said you greased it up not too long ago, the grease could have made a pretty good seal between the two shafts.
About.... 6 inches? I backed up to slide it together again and then when I went forward it fell off like normal. I didn't just keep dragging it I figured it was a bad thing. This post is more of a curiosity of how that section is built in a tractor

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I'm not a grease connoisseur, but this was the first hit when searching Google.