PTO hand clutch lever?

JBazzano

New member

Equipment
L225, L345, M4500 and new M7060-HD12
Jul 11, 2019
19
0
1
out west
Of the 4 Kubota tractors I have only the M4500 has a big hand actuated pto clutch lever on the side. All the others require depressing the engine clutch pedal to the floor, or pressing a button at idle speed (M7060) to engage the pto.

The M4500 set up is far better for spraying jobs where I need to stop spraying in the turns, without stopping or radically slowing tractor movement. I can just disengage and then feather back in the sprayer after turning. This pto system is so much easier on everything. I hate the new buttons with their harsh engagements.

Are any other older Kubotas set up like the M4500? Do any L series work this way?

Thanks for any help.
John
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,459
11,247
113
Sandpoint, ID
Of the 4 Kubota tractors I have only the M4500 has a big hand actuated pto clutch lever on the side. All the others require depressing the engine clutch pedal to the floor, or pressing a button at idle speed (M7060) to engage the pto.

The M4500 set up is far better for spraying jobs where I need to stop spraying in the turns, without stopping or radically slowing tractor movement. I can just disengage and then feather back in the sprayer after turning. This pto system is so much easier on everything. I hate the new buttons with their harsh engagements.

Are any other older Kubotas set up like the M4500? Do any L series work this way?

Thanks for any help.
John
Nope that system is long gone.
 

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,953
7,344
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Of the 4 Kubota tractors I have only the M4500 has a big hand actuated pto clutch lever on the side. All the others require depressing the engine clutch pedal to the floor, or pressing a button at idle speed (M7060) to engage the pto.

The M4500 set up is far better for spraying jobs where I need to stop spraying in the turns, without stopping or radically slowing tractor movement. I can just disengage and then feather back in the sprayer after turning. This pto system is so much easier on everything. I hate the new buttons with their harsh engagements.

Are any other older Kubotas set up like the M4500? Do any L series work this way?

Thanks for any help.
John
Thats why they invented electric spray valves. With the flip of a switch you shutoff the sprayer boom not the PTO pump. Then another flip to turn it back on.

Dan
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

007kubotaguy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
709
331
63
Herald Calif.
Only the early m series had that system. It worked quite well. The biggest problem was people left that lever up in the disengaged position. This was just like having your foot on the clutch all the time. When you're not using the PTO take it out of gear and put the handle back down. This design was based off Fiat tractors. Awesome old machine. The six cylinder engine sounds like a sewing machine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

JohnDB

Active member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT with FEL, back blade, Someca K28 hay mower, drag broom, post driver
Jun 9, 2018
564
190
43
NZ
Are any other older Kubotas set up like the M4500? Do any L series work this way?
The other "M500" series - M5500, 7500 according to the op manual. Also (I think) M4050.
 
Last edited:

JohnDB

Active member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT with FEL, back blade, Someca K28 hay mower, drag broom, post driver
Jun 9, 2018
564
190
43
NZ
But to engage don't you have to drop the idle speed way down and not be moving forward?
Interesting... I've always dropped the idle speed down (and been stationary) before engaging the PTO clutch to reduce load on the PTO clutch and minimise the engagement 'graunch'. But the ops manual doesn't mention engine speed or tractor speed.
 

Bearcatrp

Well-known member

Equipment
Oversized Garden Tractor (aka BX1880) with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
1,395
1,012
113
Minnesota
My 1880 has the PTO lever on my left side. Can select between rear, mid, or both. I do reduce the rpm’s so the mower belt doesn’t snap from the sudden engagement. I do the same when I have my snow blower on the 3 point.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

JBazzano

New member

Equipment
L225, L345, M4500 and new M7060-HD12
Jul 11, 2019
19
0
1
out west
My 1880 has the PTO lever on my left side. Can select between rear, mid, or both. I do reduce the rpm’s so the mower belt doesn’t snap from the sudden engagement. I do the same when I have my snow blower on the 3 point.
But does your PTO lever actually start the PTO moving or just select where the power will go and your foot clutch really does start the thing spinning.

The 4500 has a hand PTO clutch lever that regardless of engine speed, will
 

JBazzano

New member

Equipment
L225, L345, M4500 and new M7060-HD12
Jul 11, 2019
19
0
1
out west
Oops didn't finish............

regardless of engine speed, can slowly start my PTO spinning. I don't use any foot clutch to engage my PTO.
 

nbryan

Well-known member

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
1,434
950
113
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
But does your PTO lever actually start the PTO moving or just select where the power will go and your foot clutch really does start the thing spinning.

The 4500 has a hand PTO clutch lever that regardless of engine speed, will
On myB2650 there's one left-side hand lever to select which PTO is operating: rear only, rear+mid, and front only.
There's a second left-side lever to engage the PTO.
And I do reduce RPMs substantially before either engaging or dis-engaging the PTO(s).
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,459
11,247
113
Sandpoint, ID
On myB2650 there's one left-side hand lever to select which PTO is operating: rear only, rear+mid, and front only.
There's a second left-side lever to engage the PTO.
And I do reduce RPMs substantially before either engaging or dis-engaging the PTO(s).
Your B2650 Is a COMPLETELY different kind of setup than the OLD M4500.
Your B2650 uses a hydraulic clutch for the PTO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Well-known member

Equipment
Oversized Garden Tractor (aka BX1880) with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
1,395
1,012
113
Minnesota
But does your PTO lever actually start the PTO moving or just select where the power will go and your foot clutch really does start the thing spinning.

The 4500 has a hand PTO clutch lever that regardless of engine speed, will
it engages the PTO