Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cowgirl - -

Welcome to OTT!

You need to much more specific to get help:

What are we talking about here? Tractor, RTV, SSL, etc. Model number?

If it's a tractor, does it have a loader or backhoe on it?

What are the "couplers" you changed?

What oil level?

When you say the 4WD "howls", what do you mean by that?

Lot of smart folks here are willing to help.

A really smart guy here often says the quality of the answers are driven by the quality of the questions..... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Kubota 8540 4 wheel drive has ft loader 1543 replaced coupler on the front propeller shaft that was damaged used OEM part from Kubota
Was a simple fix But now in forward FWD it howls but is fine when in reverse.oil is new an air pressure in tires 36lbs
Thanks for your help

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it possible that the coupler was damaged because something in the front drive train is damaged?

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Not that we know of.no damage. We do use the tractor to bale round bales and move them from the field to hay barn 5x6 about 1000 to 1100lbs
Have Maintained all maintanceoil all fluids
With t&e damaged coupler it happened quickly but did not make that loud. Noise

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
CV Joint or U joint? Did you lube the new joint?

Is it shielded? Sheild on correctly?

Or are you talking about the slip joint "coupler"?

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am guessing it did not make the noise before you replaced the coupler ? How was the old coupler damaged ? were the splines wore out, if so, new coupler splines mated to worn shaft splines may make noise. Some pictures of the old coupler, including the splines would be great. Does it make the noise in 2 wheel drive ?

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
The damaged coupler splines were only damaged where they aligned with the pinion spline when I jacked one front tire off the ground the shaft spun freely in 2wheel drive ..when shifted into 4 wheel it locked up this was after I replaced new coupler. The tractor operates great in 2 wheel drive.also operates great in 4 wheel drive in reverse through all 8 gears
Thanks for your help!!

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
I am guessing it did not make the noise before you replaced the coupler ? How was the old coupler damaged ? were the splines wore out, if so, new coupler splines mated to worn shaft splines may make noise. Some pictures of the old coupler, including the splines would be great. Does it make the noise in 2 wheel drive ?
Tractor made no noise before ..when approaching the hayringwhere it was soft the front wheels quit turning

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Tractor made no noise before ..when approaching the hayringwhere it was soft the front wheels quit turning
Made no noise before coupler was worn where it aligns with the pinion the pinion appears to have no damage to the splines. Tractor runs in 2 wheel drive no problems when in 4 wheel drive works well in REVERSE..going through all 8 gears
Thanks Woodman

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are 21 sub models of the M8540 so your going to have to be a little more specific or give me the serial number in order for me to give you the proper advice on what, and how to look, for your problem.

My best guess is something broke in the front diff or drive to make it snap the coupling.
And a broken drive part might only make noise when driven (4wd) not just slidding along (2wd).

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Afre the universal joints "clocked" in the right direction? Pictures always help too.

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
There are 21 sub models of the M8540 so your going to have to be a little more specific or give me the serial number in order for me to give you the proper advice on what, and how to look, for your problem.

My best guess is something broke in the front diff or drive to make it snap the coupling.
And a broken drive part might only make noise when driven (4wd) not just slidding along (2wd).
Serial #50378
Model #M8540D

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
I was thinking along the same lines. Check out the video in post #8.
The propeller shaft only has splines and couplers no u joints
What u joints are you referring to..I have watched the video in 8, and there is no referral to ujoints
Question could the spring pins on the couplings do they need to be aligned for balance
Thanks again

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The propeller shaft only has splines and couplers no u joints
What u joints are you referring to..I have watched the video in 8, and there is no referral to ujoints
Question could the spring pins on the couplings do they need to be aligned for balance
Thanks again
Sorry, I was trying to clarify what you said about couplers. To help the poster understand. I now know that there are no U joints. But there should be from the factory.

I don't associate the term "couplers" into driveshaft terminology. No matter what K calls them. It's a slip joint in mechanical terms.

Overall, it's a relatively sound design except for the fact that frames twist under load. And that's what causes the splines to disintegrate over time. In my opinion, K should have put in constant velocity or U-joints. with a mid point slip joint.

Bottom line, I see what you are doing and am trying to help with a solution. I'm thinking driveshaft - shield misalignment, but pictures would help. Actually, a video would be priceless.

Is it a sheet metal sound or a gear crunch sound?

Last edited: