Problem kubota 4 wheel drive

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I agree with the above posts.......verify and make sure that's what wrong and exhaust all other options.

I sure hope you don't have to do the pinion; but if you do, you may want to seek out someone experienced to help you.

I could be totally off base here, BUT; If tractors are like cars and trucks, you have to replace the "ring and pinion" as a matched set, and set the proper "backlash" and "gear pattern" usually requiring a dial indicator set-up.

Also depending on the style of gear set, you will either have to shim it properly or replace the "crush sleeve" which requires an "indicator" style torque wrench in the "0 -100" inch pounds range( mine was quite pricey back in the day)

"ring and pinions" are not just "plug and play" (at least not on cars and trucks)

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would take the time to get the coupling free and out of the way before I'd tear into the front end. Those couplings are like shear bolt in an implement, they are the weak link. If the rear is free maybe you can wiggle it in all directions to loosen the front coupling. All the coupling is is a splined tube.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To remove the axle:
Support front tractor frame.
Remove the 2 steering hoses.
Pull these eight bolts and nuts.

1696950898013.png

Pinion is easy:
Pull the seal and the snap ring and pull the pinion out.
If your still troubleshooting, you can pull the pinion and see the ring gear to inspect for damage.

1696951211450.png

Now pulling the ring well that's involved.
You'll need to pull the RH geaar case

1696951349932.png

Then you will pull the axle and differential out that side and replace ring.

1696951419261.png

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I just replaced the pinion on a couple of these tractors. Kubota sells a kit with a new shaft and pinion. You don't have to replace the ring gear as a set like you do with most tractors. Have you checked oil levels in the front axle? Or you using gear oil?

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well I guess I was "way off" on that one.

Good to know though. (y)

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Well I guess I was "way off" on that one.

Good to know though. (y)
You were not way off. You gave a valid caution. I appreciated your comment about R and P rebuilds.

Having done many axle rebuilds on Jeeps and 4x4 trucks, I have the tools and know how complex it is.

I didn't think the same applied to tractors, simply because of RPM issues, but I wasn't sure.

EDIT: @007kubotaguy educated us both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Hold on cowgirl!
You'll have some play in the pinion end.

Get the shaft and it's sleeve off, and use tractor in 2wd. Check for noise.

Then try it with shaft on only without the sleeve, in 2wd and 4wd. Check for noise.

Did you use new roll pins?
Did not use new roll pins. The front coupler will not release need to go ans buy a sliding hammer as I do not have one..what would using the old roll pins

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
What would the old roll pins cause?..as soon as I can remove the propeller shaft and drive it will let you know as driving it in 2WD there is no unusual sounds
Sorry about the slow answers as tak>no care of my Dad who has cancer..life is hard rt now. Did not need this problem with the tractor but I do have a M6800 2WD that I can use but with rain coming would be a blessing to have the 4WD running
Thanks for _your help

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
I just replaced the pinion on a couple of these tractors. Kubota sells a kit with a new shaft and pinion. You don't have to replace the ring gear as a set like you do with most tractors. Have you checked oil levels in the front axle? Or you using gear oil?
Checked oil it is full

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Did not use new roll pins. The front coupler will not release need to go ans buy a sliding hammer as I do not have one..what would using the old roll pins
The roll pins, if old and weak, could slide out of the coupler and into the shield. Use new roll pins, everytime.

This could cause a screeching noise at the least. It could keep one from getting the shield off. And could keep one from getting to the roll pin. It could sieze the shield over the driveshaft and couplers and onto the front axle case. It might only make noise in forward because the roll pin is bent in a particular direction and lodged into the shield. In reverse it pops outward due to bend direction.

All hypothetical, of course, but it could explain this whole situation that you're having.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
With all that being said. Now your talking about a slide hammer to get the front coupling off. !!!

Is the shield off?

Can you see the coupling? Can you see the front roll pin?

Did the coupling spin out of the grooves in the pinion splines?

I don't compare to Wolfman when it comes to Kubotas, so he is your best friend as far as repair goes. I respect that you have your hands full and take care of your dad. But if you could post pictures or video, and be as clear as possible, it will only help you the most.

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
With all that being said. Now your talking about a slide hammer to get the front coupling off. !!!

Is the shield off?

Can you see the coupling? Can you see the front roll pin?

Did the coupling spin out of the grooves in the pinion splines?

I don't compare to Wolfman when it comes to Kubotas, so he is your best friend as far as repair goes. I respect that you have your hands full and take care of your dad. But if you could post pictures or video, and be as clear as possible, it will only help you the most.
Right now the shield is still on the shaft the coupler into the front seems to have spun although went put on slid onto the splines with no problem but when Wolfman asked if the noise was coming from front middle or rear of the tractor as close as achievable to my hearing it seems to be coming from where the propeller shaft goes into the transmission..but the bind is where the shaft goes into the pinion that's where the coupling has been put in a bind tomorrow will have to remove the shield and shaft Wolfman asked if there was enough movement on the rear spline to remove shaft. Tried but not enough room

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Right now the shield is still on the shaft the coupler into the front seems to have spun although went put on slid onto the splines with no problem but when Wolfman asked if the noise was coming from front middle or rear of the tractor as close as achievable to my hearing it seems to be coming from where the propeller shaft goes into the transmission..but the bind is where the shaft goes into the pinion that's where the coupling has been put in a bind tomorrow will have to remove the shield and shaft Wolfman asked if there was enough movement on the rear spline to remove shaft. Tried but not enough room
After removing the shield bolts, can you slide the front, or pinion end of the shield back and see the front coupler?

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
And the driveshaft will slide a little in the coupler, but the pinion side won't budge?
Yes..but still not enough room to drop the shaft..seems like the coupler is in a bind where it goes onto the pinion gear..thoughts about putting the tractor in 5ED in reverse might loosen up the coupler but then might screw up something worse. Will try and get the shaft off in the morn. THSNK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
Yes..but still not enough room to drop the shaft..seems like the coupler is in a bind where it goes onto the pinion gear..thoughts about putting the tractor in 4WD in reverse might loosen up the coupler but then might screw up something worse. Will try and get the shaft off in the morn. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The coupling has probably been torqued (twisted) enough it won't slide. If you can get to that coupling I'd consider a 4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. Cut the length of the coupling, but be careful to not go through it. Then take a small chisel and split open the coupling. Then you can get it out of the way. You are probably going to be buying a new one for both ends anyway.

Post up some pictures so we can see what we're guessing at!! ;)

cowgirl

Equipment
Kubota
Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
The coupling has probably been torqued (twisted) enough it won't slide. If you can get to that coupling I'd consider a 4" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. Cut the length of the coupling, but be careful to not go through it. Then take a small chisel and split open the coupling. Then you can get it out of the way. You are probably going to be buying a new one for both ends anyway.

Post up some pictures so we can see what we're guessing at!! ;)
Got the shaft and sleeve off..there is play in the pinion gear. Have not taken it out as with the shaft removed then using just the coupler there is a small amount of play..upon examining the shaft there is a small amount of wear you have to really examine it closely to see it
Next pulling the pinion gear to examine for more damages
With the small amount of wear on the shafy what are your thoughts should I replace or not?..with the play in the pinion it could be the problem as this is all a new education
Any thoughts or input would be so very helpful!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Got the shaft and sleeve off..there is play in the pinion gear. Have not taken it out as with the shaft removed then using just the coupler there is a small amount of play..upon examining the shaft there is a small amount of wear you have to really examine it closely to see it
Next pulling the pinion gear to examine for more damages
With the small amount of wear on the shafy what are your thoughts should I replace or not?..with the play in the pinion it could be the problem as this is all a new education
Any thoughts or input would be so very helpful!
If it were my tractor, I'd do the following:

>I"d leave the front driveshaft (and shield) off for the following testing and diagnostics.

>I would not mess with the pinion yet. (There will be play in the pinion shaft, it's normal to a degree).

>I would drive the tractor in 2wd and also 4wd (with the front driveshaft OFF the tractor) and listen for noises. Noises from transmission side, the back side, in 4wd would indicate an issue there. Noises in the front axle in 2wd and 4wd would indicate a problem in the front axle.

>I'd use the loader to lift front axle. Spin it backwards and forwards. Listen for noise. I'd have a friend spin front wheels slowly while I put slight pressure on the center of the pinion shaft with my index finger... to feel anything abmormal thru it such as vibration or bumps.

>I'd DEFINITELY take pictures or video and post it here on OTT if I needed help.

Last edited: