Premium UDT on sale

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I thought SUDT was synthetic (and better in cold temps) and UDT was mineral, and not so good in the cold. In a country without very cold weather, UDT seems just fine. But there is also the story that there's different labelling on the same product in Canada, and that I don't entirely understand.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I thought SUDT was synthetic (and better in cold temps) and UDT was mineral, and not so good in the cold. In a country without very cold weather, UDT seems just fine. But there is also the story that there's different labelling on the same product in Canada, and that I don't entirely understand.
Paul:
I think that "SUDT-2 in the USA, is actually labeled "Premium UDT" in Canada.
I certainly do not claim to know why!

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
premium UDT is Kubotas most expensive hydraulic/transmission fluid available through dealers in Canada and lots of other countries. I don't think its available in the US from what I can see from various US dealer websites as they don't even list it.

It specially formulated for hst transmissions with wet brakes as well as power steering and power-take-off units with wet clutches in extreme situations such as very cold / very hot/extreme use/etc...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
premium UDT is Kubotas most expensive hydraulic/transmission fluid available through dealers in Canada and lots of other countries. I don't think its available in the US from what I can see from various US dealer websites as they don't even list it.

It specially formulated for hst transmissions with wet brakes as well as power steering and power-take-off units with wet clutches in extreme situations such as very cold / very hot/extreme use/etc...
Maybe same as SUDT-2, in USA ????

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm clueless
we don't get s-udt here
Premium UDT or duratran xl synthetic (which is Kubota OEM approved here) is all my dealership stocks.
I think the trick is to understand what the product is, rather than what the marketing claims it does.

My best guess from reading a few threads here and elsewhere is:
  • SUDT2 = Premium UDT = 75% synthetic. Goes better at low temps and high temps than mineral oils. Since it's only 75% synthetic, you can mix it with UDT (and it says that on the pack). Depending on how much UDT vs SUDT2 you get, you may be only 50% synthetic or whatever, which doesn't hurt anything but gives you a less premium blend
  • UDT = largely (entirely?) mineral oil based hydraulic fluid. It's fine, and it's certified for all Kubota tractors. For most residential use you'll never notice the difference. If you live in a very cold or very hot place it may matter. If you live in NZ like I do, they don't even sell SUDT2 at my dealer (NZ has a very moderate climate, never really too hot, never really below freezing). But NZers are notoriously tight with money (or so Kubota seem to think), so there's lots of premium Kubota products we don't get. Our tractors still get the same warranty though, which suggests that SUDT2 isn't critical.
Of course, this is a religious debate not always fact based, and I'll never criticise someone who spends a bit more for a bit better product. If SUDT2 was available here I'd probably buy it, even though I know I don't really need it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Well with hope spring will soon arrive I went to my local dealer to stock up on stuff needed for my spring service tasks.

At first he said pricing on their premium UDT was going to come down later this spring by as much as 20% if I could just wait. I said no problems I be in no rush.

When I drove around back to pick up my other goodies i saw a fresh pail on my pallet with a note that said "no charge / see you in spring". I didn't get a free hat last time I bought a tractor but this was a nice surprise. Paid for my drive into town and my burger to boot. Its nice to get recognized for frequenting the local dealership versus buying online with no name/face to stuff I bought

View attachment 121533
Let us know when the Canadian sale starts

My dealer used to have a 10% off filter sale every February

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I know I'll probably get Flamed for this but...

I've been using Duragard for a few years...

Last time I bought 5 gal. it was $77.00 I just looked and it's now $109 with free shipping from the Amazonian...

71Ly0NbHlWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
71Ly0NbHlWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think the trick is to understand what the product is, rather than what the marketing claims it does.

My best guess from reading a few threads here and elsewhere is:
  • SUDT2 = Premium UDT = 75% synthetic. Goes better at low temps and high temps than mineral oils. Since it's only 75% synthetic, you can mix it with UDT (and it says that on the pack). Depending on how much UDT vs SUDT2 you get, you may be only 50% synthetic or whatever, which doesn't hurt anything but gives you a less premium blend
  • UDT = largely (entirely?) mineral oil based hydraulic fluid. It's fine, and it's certified for all Kubota tractors. For most residential use you'll never notice the difference. If you live in a very cold or very hot place it may matter. If you live in NZ like I do, they don't even sell SUDT2 at my dealer (NZ has a very moderate climate, never really too hot, never really below freezing). But NZers are notoriously tight with money (or so Kubota seem to think), so there's lots of premium Kubota products we don't get. Our tractors still get the same warranty though, which suggests that SUDT2 isn't critical.
Of course, this is a religious debate not always fact based, and I'll never criticise someone who spends a bit more for a bit better product. If SUDT2 was available here I'd probably buy it, even though I know I don't really need it.
There is no reason for it to be "religous" and I think you are 100% correct on the suitability of UDT versus SUDT2 in most climates. I would extend that to include just about any competing premium UTTO.

The API has no definition for "synthetic" and use of that word is not particularly helpful in this context. The published data however are unambiguous and crystal clear. The defacto industry standard is the John Deere J20C and J20D specifications. It should be no surprise that UDT and SUDT2 look a lot like JD Hygard (J20C) and JD Hygard Lo-Vis (J20D) or that the original SUDT formulation was reformulated as SUDT2 around the same time JD released the J20D specification. If you are looking for a SUDT2 alternative look for an oil that meets John Deere J20D.

The other important property not mentioned in the tables below is water tolerance. SUDT/SUDT2 and J20D both require the oil absorb and hold 1% by volume water without additive dropout or formation of sludge.

UDT-SUDT.png

SUDT2.png

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I know I'll probably get Flamed for this but...

I've been using Duragard for a few years...

Last time I bought 5 gal. it was $77.00 I just looked and it's now $109 with free shipping from the Amazonian...

View attachment 121679 View attachment 121679
Nothing wrong with it - just another premium UTTO. At $107 maybe a bit overpriced.

Its a J20C formulation similar to standard UDT and falls well short of the SUDT2 metrics.

Dan'

Untitled.png

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was surprised to find in my (circa ‘96) M4700DT that “Kubota Super UDT” was factory fluid. I didn’t realize they were using that already in the ‘90’s.
Anyway, I was also surprised the local Kubota dealer continually tried to foist ordinary UDT on me despite my insistence on SUDT. To get the parts guy to quit it, I told him to look at the Bottom-Note in the Ops Manual:

IMG_2445.png

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
153 bucks a pail for kubota premium UDT. Pretty sure it’s the same as labeled super udt2 in the USA. Not 100% though. I just bought it last week so I’m sure we will see a sale come on in a week or two in Ontario. Did the 1000hr hydraulic fluid change both filters obviously plus engine oil and filter. Was 818.27 with tax’s.

Attachments

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
153 bucks a pail for kubota premium UDT. Pretty sure it’s the same as labeled super udt2 in the USA. Not 100% though. I just bought it last week so I’m sure we will see a sale come on in a week or two in Ontario. Did the 1000hr hydraulic fluid change both filters obviously plus engine oil and filter. Was 818.27 with tax’s.
That's certainly motivation to DIY!

TG

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's certainly motivation to DIY!

TG
I don't see any DIY "motivation" there!

That $818.27 (CAD) = $614 USD..... for MATERIALS!
DIY was pickup,..... for materials ONLY!
No labor charge involved!

Last edited:

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
So, there's not labor charge in this $614? I'll have to hold my ground here. DIY would be less expensive unless your own labor is $160./ hr. :)

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just called the local Kubota dealer to ask about specials for Kubota fluids and filters. They've never heard of it! This sale must be a local thing.

TG

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
That invoice I showed does’t have any labour hrs on it. I did the fluid change myself. That’s just the cost of the engine oil and hydraulic fluid plus filters in my area.
I also never seen kubota fluids on sale at my local dealer.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Around these parts ALL pails of top shelf similar oils are about the same price whether from a dealer, a specialized distributor, my oil supplier. WALMART and Amazon actually higher I guess due to freight.

I don't see any value on shopping around for price on these oils around here.

A pail of Chevron Synth UTF, Duratran xl synthetic which my dealer sells as option to Kubota Premium UDT, or Kubotas S-UDT all are about the same price whether from the dealer or from the local Oil Mart. A few buck more expensive if delivered by local fuel supplier.