Pavers for shop floor (?)

poyjas

Equipment
B7100HST & B2650 TLB-LandPride grapple & 60"BB
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
Building a 22x40 pole shop in N Idaho. Lost control of my timing and got into winter with no floor. I’m not willing to pay the big $$ to get a contractor interested in coming out to work in the hinterlands. After a lot of surly stewing I concocted Plan B. I found a discount building supply to sell and deliver 8x16x4-inch heavy cinder blocks. Hired young strong persons to help level gravel, put down heavy permeable fabric, and lay the blocks on flat side. As I see it, advantages are no cracks ever, melt water just drains through, easy to pull up for pipe whatever, able to get it done in dead of winter (!), and cheap 75% less than the concrete guys. Disadvantages (maybe) are water comes through, won’t stand as well for really high pressure floor loads, and not as even or flat as concrete. None of those worry me much but we’ll see. Meanwhile the Orange Boys seem happy enough. What you think?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Now I'm going to pee in your pool...
Frost heave is most likely going to kick you in the back side, I hope not for your sake.
But just about every job I've seen done like that up here ends up heaving so bad that every thing shifts and moves.
I've seen equipment sink up to the axles over the thaw. :eek:
I also just caught that you used 4x8x16 (hollow?) hope you have good drainage or when they get wet and freeze they will might just break.
Like I said you might get lucky and you'll have no issues. :D

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Saw a sign once when I was young that said "Welcome to our ool. Notice there is no 'P' in it, please keep it that way".

I don't see an issue with the pavers other than the frost-heave already mentioned. Time will tell.

poyjas

Equipment
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
Thanks for the comments. The heaving question is a good one and I've put some serious worry that direction. Really good drainage out from under the floor and 10 inches plus of gravel is hoping to address the concern. We'll see. Wolfman, you're in my neighborhood so I'm listening!

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
The driveway and sidewalk at our old house was omni-stone pavers and we never had any heaving issues (Western PA). We got a ton of compliments on it over the years. Only issue I had was the constant battle with weeds. The upside was when we had light snow my surfaces would melt off before I would need to shovel and be perfectly clear compared to all the neighbors with concrete. We did the drive in Omni-stone mainly because my neighbors sewer line ran under it.

Attachments

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
if you got a good thick compacted base?

that will help for those to set level.

think of it as you have concrete that is already cracked.

good news is if you do get some heave, you can obviously level it back out real easy.

that could be way better than that crappy concrete job i got done.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Poyjas said he used, "8x16x4-inch heavy cinder blocks". These are not the same product as "pavers", are they?

This is what I think of when pavers are mentioned.

The kind of brick you see on sidewalks or driveways, even some city streets.

RichM752

Equipment
L47TLB
Feb 28, 2017
Mount Shasta CA
I did the same in my barn. I used 2" "cinder pavers". Aside from a few cracked one where I park my truck, no problems. I did the job about 10-12 yrs ago, and I believe it was under 1.50 sq ft. 12 pallets of pavers, road base, sand, and labor included.

poyjas

Equipment
Jul 20, 2016
Hayden ID
D2cat, you're right, strictly speaking I'm using narrow building blocks not pavers. I'm pretty sure there's anything I'll do that'll break them, they're robust. I suppose I could pry them out and replace if I had to. We've been getting some fairly wild snow/melt/freeze here lately. No heave so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We aren't having any heave issues up here this year, as it hasn't been cold enough for it to happen. ;)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I live very close to you, ( probably within 5-10 miles) and I agree, we have had no heaving YET, this year. After all this warm weather, and rain were going to get the next few days, if we get a couple days at 10, you will have some fun. The pavers are better than being on the cold frozen ground, but not a lot! I went two years on of compacted gravel in my shop ( pole barn) and could not be happier than when I poured a real concrete floor.
I would say this is a good interim fix, but couldnt imaging having to use a floor jack or anything on pavers. If the ground was heavily compacted, drainage screen installed, etc it would make a great walkway or parking pad. I can imagine tripping over many toe stubbers come late February. Just my $.02 worth.

Come spring or whenever, I can recommend some great concrete guys, that are VERY reasonable and do great work. Your welcome to come by and check out mine. Besides purchasing tractor implements, it***8217;s the best money I have spent on my place

Last edited: