Pallet Fork Platform

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I'm curious how you guys feel, regarding safety, about using a fork lift pallet fork Platform on a tractor front end loader with pallet forks.

I need a raised platform for some chores around my property and I've been considering one of these:
Pallet Fork Platform.jpg
Obviously it's not as safe on a tractor as it would be on a fork lift due to the hydraulics. It would most likely be used periodically when the need arises. Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Depends on who’s running the tractor loader I guess🥶

That’s an implement on my bucket list…I’d like to use for tree trimming, gutter clean out, and tree stand maintenance. I’ll have one for my tractor at some point, however, that to me is an implement intended for a forklift, which would not rotate as far forward as a tractor loader does. That being said I think it would not be a bad idea to chain the cage to the fork frame and maybe tie a off the cage dweller…yeah the tether may get in way and create a problem, but if machine operator would bump the loader stick it could be unsettling for the cage dweller (loader lock out maybe would finally get used). It would be overkill until it was needed. It would take a lot of trust and a the hand on the loader stick better be as smooth as a strippers ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Many people make those from those plastic totes that have the metal cages around them. They cut open one side and configure it much like the one you have pictured. I have been meaning to get one to do that.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I wouldn't sweat it one bit if the forks are the SSQA type . Ive worked 15-20 ' tall in those cages plenty of times .Make sure the forks are as long as the cage or as close as possible , I don't think I'd work with les then 75 % forks to cage . Strap the cage to the backrest of the fork assy . If yer really worried about safety have the operator lock the loader hydraulics when ya have it set . The thing most people have problems with when lifting someone is that when they move the controls 2 " , that =equals a foot or 2 to the guy up in the air . I wouldn't even think about doing this with the forks that clamp on to the front of the bucket , thats the same as walkin into a biker bar & saying Harleys suck , it's not a safe thing to do .
animal

Reactions: 3 users

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
We purchased one just like that last year. Chain or strap it to your fork frame. If you are the one on the platform, you must have great trust in the tractor operator to keep movements smooth and level going both up and down. We put the end with the chains (as shown in the photo) towards the fork frame side. My son and I have used it a few times to trim tree limbs with a pole chain saw and loping shears - works very well for that. Having been both on the platform and as the tractor operator, I prefer to be the operator. It sets outside year round and the finish is holding up okay so far after 1 1/2 years. No regrets.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Beats using a pallet. But my bother trusted me enough to do the high side of the deck and the lights in the barn that way. And our combined ages might have been close to three digits. Older, not much smarter.

Reactions: 4 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I have and use that same model platform; it works good trimming trees however you need an operator who can stay focused and very familiar with FEL's. Ensure that the platform is securely attached to the forks.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have one, but I agree with the above statements.

Make sure the loader operator is "seasoned" (and sober)

Chain it to the forks in case it gets "accidentally dumped"

You might even want to strap yourself to the forks in case of "accidental dumpage"

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I don't have one, but I agree with the above statements.

Make sure the loader operator is "seasoned" (and sober)

Chain it to the forks in case it gets "accidentally dumped"

You might even want to strap yourself to the forks in case of "accidental dumpage"
One other thing...don't use this for your employees. When someone gets hurt YOU will be liable. Rent/buy a man-lift and keep it certified and inspected.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I fabbed up some long forks using 6" channel to use with a sturdy plywood pallet to prune some apple trees. I just adjust the height and pitch to where it needs to be, "lock out" the loader stick, and climb up using a ladder. I always apply the brake and use a rubber tire chock to insure the tractor doesn't move. Been doing it for years now without any issue. The cage setup is safer for sure, but I'm not going very high.

Pruning 2.jpg

Pruning 1.jpg

20160919_201623.jpg

20160922_121726.jpg

20160922_121712.jpg

20160922_121732.jpg

20160922_121658.jpg

They work great for lifting roofing shingle up too!!!! LOL

IMG-5575.jpg

MountainMeadows

Equipment
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestion guys!

I've considered the pros and cons of raising and lowering the platform while occupied and for the most part, at first anyhow, I'll just be using it solo. Raise up the platform to the needed level and climb up on it with a ladder.

The Wife can't operate the loader and I'm sure she wouldn't want to ride on the platform at our age............lol. 20 years ago, no problem.......:)

I have SSQA. 48" forks and planned to chain the platform to the forks back cage.

My main concern would be hydraulic failure causing the platform to drop suddenly while occupied. That would be a rough ride for this old body.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

MountainMeadows

Equipment
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I might be overthinking it but,

You might consider sort of "Clamp thing/lockouts" that go around the FEL hydraulic cylinder to stop it from collapsing, and a some sort of "homemade jack stand" for under the platform?

Edit: like these

https://asktractormike.com/product/tractor-loader-cylinder-safety-stops/

or some sort of easily made homemade version.
Great idea! Thanks. I'll have to give it some thought. It would need to be adjustable for various heights.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
1695293544662.png

My cheap a$$ would have a very difficult time paying $100+ for those, when a 1/4" drill bit and two "18"ish" pieces of C channel would do the exact same thing.

Just sayin ;)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Great idea! Thanks. I'll have to give it some thought. It would need to be adjustable for various heights.
If your a little handy, think "C channel, inside of a C channel" and a series of holes to make it adjustable.

Damn it....I don't even need one of these things, and now I can't stop thinking about how to make one!!!!!!!

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I'm curious how you guys feel, regarding safety, about using a fork lift pallet fork Platform on a tractor front end loader with pallet forks.

I need a raised platform for some chores around my property and I've been considering one of these:
View attachment 112150
Obviously it's not as safe on a tractor as it would be on a fork lift due to the hydraulics. It would most likely be used periodically when the need arises. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

View attachment 112150
I made a 4'x8' one out of 2x8 and plywood. I ratchet strap it to the loader. My wife got off the RH side and bumped the roll. I stayed on by hanging onto the railing.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I made a 4'x8' one out of 2x8 and plywood. I ratchet strap it to the loader. My wife got off the RH side and bumped the roll. I stayed on by hanging onto the railing.
and you thougth it was an accident. . . just sayin

• Haha

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
We made one using a IBC 250 gal tote with a raised platform inside of it. Works great picking from fruit trees, trimming higher limbs.
Just secure it to the pallet fork frame and have an experienced operator than can keep it level on the way up.
19A7D331-2317-4F2A-951F-A1AA2FB8718D.jpg