One of my wheels fell off of my B2650 hydrostatic drive.0

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I have cleaned everything up and to my untrained eye (I'm a retired jewelry designer and goldsmith) I think everything is ok except for both sets of bearings. The bearings that go on the axel with the larger inner diameter have the same slop as the wheel did. So those are shot. The other set are not spinning freely and you can feel the grit in them. The other area of concern for me is the grove in the axel for the collars. When you slide the collars into the groove all the way, should you be able to move the collars up and down inside of that groove?
The grooves look fine. I would be more concerned with the shaft where the inner bearing fits. It looks a little distressed. It should be a nice slip fit with no play.

You can easily determine the shim needed by bolting the housings together with no shaft of gears and measuring the bore axially. Then stack the new bearings and bevel gear and measure them then subtract that from the fist measurement. Then select a shim as close to that without eliminating endplay. Once together verify with a dial indicator.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
for sure buy Kubota bearings and install them.

as for the collar gap....
I'm thinking that they dry assemble the parts, look at the 'gap' then tear apart, install a 'shim', reassemble and check the 'gap' again. Guy doing this on the assembly line probably picks the correct shim 1st time,(he's done it 1,000s of times...) you might have to do this operation 2-3 times. Pretty sure you want a silky smooth snug fit,with no noticeable 'gap'.
Thank you for your reply. Since the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away, do you have a good source for ordering online for home delivery? Is Messicks a good source for this?

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
The grooves look fine. I would be more concerned with the shaft where the inner bearing fits. It looks a little distressed. It should be a nice slip fit with no play.

You can easily determine the shim needed by bolting the housings together with no shaft of gears and measuring the bore axially. Then stack the new bearings and bevel gear and measure them then subtract that from the fist measurement. Then select a shim as close to that without eliminating endplay. Once together verify with a dial indicator.
Thank you for your reply. The bearings fit snugly onto the axel without any slop or movement. What you mentioned concerned me, so I have been waiting to see what you folks with more knowledge had to say about that.

Do you have a good source for ordering parts online for home delivery? I don't feel like spending three hours roundtrip on the road to go get parts.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
seems many rave about Messicks ! I'm in Canada,eh....local dealer is 7 minutes away.
Being in NC are you under water ? Heard the 'south' got a LOT of rain,more on the way.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
seems many rave about Messicks ! I'm in Canada,eh....local dealer is 7 minutes away.
Being in NC are you under water ? Heard the 'south' got a LOT of rain,more on the way.
Our farm is in the mountains at 3200 feet, so flooding isn't a concern. The problem is when we have heavy rains it does a good bit of damage to our road. The road is where 90% of the hours on the tractor come from.

I have some friends that live in Bracebridg.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Thank you for your reply. The bearings fit snugly onto the axel without any slop or movement. What you mentioned concerned me, so I have been waiting to see what you folks with more knowledge had to say about that.

Do you have a good source for ordering parts online for home delivery? I don't feel like spending three hours roundtrip on the road to go get parts.
You should be able to take the numbers from the bearings and match them up at a bearing supplier or your local NAPA or Parts supply house. Just make sure they are a reputable brand and not some offshore counterfeit stuff.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
You should be able to take the numbers from the bearings and match them up at a bearing supplier or your local NAPA or Parts supply house. Just make sure they are a reputable brand and not some offshore counterfeit stuff.
Thank you for the reply. I ordered everything from Messicks and it should be here tomorrow sometime. It's also of interest that Messicks charged me 50% less for the oil seal than my closest dealer did.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Parts came in last week but with company for a few days, I am just now getting back to this. I have included an image of the old and new axle for comparison. My question here is since the new axle isn't painted like the old one, should I paint the flat area where the studs are installed? Thanks again for the guidance here folks!

Attachments

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Where is a good place to get a service manual?

I would start with kubotabooks.com, free pdf download.

Printed can be ordered through dealer.
A good dealer, like mine will give you all the manuals on a thumb drive for free. They only charge for the paper books.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, I'd paint it. Degrease it real good, cover the shiny shaft area, spray some primer, then x2 - x3 light colour coats. Be sure paint is dry, leave in sunny spot for at least a day.

Wondering why you didn't enlist the free help ( 'company' ) !!!

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Yes, I'd paint it. Degrease it real good, cover the shiny shaft area, spray some primer, then x2 - x3 light colour coats. Be sure paint is dry, leave in sunny spot for at least a day.

Wondering why you didn't enlist the free help ( 'company' ) It was my sister. That wouldn't have worked out very well. Lol. Thanks for the reply. I will make a run down the mountain to get some supplies.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Finally had some replacement bolts come in for some rusted ones that hold the case together. So, I am ready to reassemble everything. I found the torque values for the case bolts and wheels but can't seem to find one for the axel drain plugs. I am replacing the washers for those plugs as well. Can anyone help me on that? I'm not finding it in the service manual I downloaded.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you for your reply. Since the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away, do you have a good source for ordering online for home delivery? Is Messicks a good source for this?
Messick's is an EXCELLENT source for all things Kubota!
Always ask them to use USPS to save some on shipping.

Reactions: 1 users

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
little 's' snug NOT capitol 'T' tight.
I have seen a few people say that the bearing that goes into the gear case cover should push in without needing a press and shouldn't take much effort. Is this true? Mine definitely will not just push in but hand. I don't see any visible damage to the case nor do I measure any difference. Should I replace the cover or is this normal? I have seen a YouTube video where the person did use a press to install this bearing and I have seen one where the person used a hammer. Thanks for any advice you can give.
little 's' snug NOT capitol 'T' tight.

Goldsmith1

Equipment
B2650
Feb 10, 2022
Creston, NC
Ok, I got it all put back together yesterday. Things are tight like the otherside now. No wobble. Took it for a test drive of about a mile and took it back to the shop and jacked it back up to check it again. I do believe I have fixed it. Just wish I hadn't been taken for $400.00 in labor by the "mechanic" I paid to fixed it.
Thanks everyone for all of you guidance! I really appreciate your patience in helping me.