Oil Changes and filters

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I don't worry about the hours. I just change all fluids and filters every fall before winter.
Then I never have to worry about working on it in the winter.

Mine is four years old now and only has just over 400 hours on it. I couldn't imagine going that long before I changed hydro oil.

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I go by the service or operator's manual recommendation unless there's a good reason to change oil earlier. Good reasons would be engine ran hot for a while, or operating in very dusty conditions.

I always change filter with each oil change, though some recommendations are to change filter every other oil change.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Some simple advice in dealing with tractors.

Keep the oil clean. Grease is cheaper than parts.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Oils do not wear out. Additive packages are depleted and oil rendered useless. Additive packages are working weather the engine is running or not. I recommend changing the oil once a year or the recommended service interval which ever occurs first. Even if the engine is used only one hour year. Jeff

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I agree with jeff, it's the additives that count.
that's why I would not mix different brands or types of oil, both could be good oil but the additives may not work well together.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Never mix oil brands. The composition of additive packages are made to work together. The sub components, like one for corrosion prevention, may not work with sub components in another brand's package.
Also, never use any oil that does not have the SAE seal. The seal tells you that oil & package is certified to work as advertised and changing any component will require recertification. The cheapest store brand SAE certified oil is better than the most expensive uncertified oil. Do not let a salesman tell you otherwise.
Sorry for the soapbox. Jeff