Oil Changes and filters

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
The service intervals should be listed in your owners manual, my L4701 lists the next oil/filter change at 400 hours after the initial 50 hour service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
What I would like to know why my diesel tractor I could change the oil every day and the oil would still be black as ink.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know I over maintain my BX, but I change the oil and filter every 100 hours. It takes less than 4 quarts, and filters are pretty cheap. Basically once a year, for about the 100 hours I use it. I would rather over do it than run cruddy oil

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Kubota BX25D-1 TLBM + Woods RB60 Blade + Grass Catcher
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
What I would like to know why my diesel tractor I could change the oil every day and the oil would still be black as ink.
The answer is because in a Diesel engine, part of the job of the engine oil is to contain the soot in suspension in the oil. The soot is a by product of the combustion process. That is why you need to use a diesel rated oil in a diesel engine, else the oil will not be able to take the soot load and fail. Personally, I use shell Rotella T6 in all my diesel engines and will likely use it in my BX25D-1 when my tractor warranty expires.

Nick

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I change the oil, all filters (including HST filter and both fuel filters) every year. Also change the front axle oil and coolant every year.
Small price to pay for keeping all the "liquids" clear and clean.
Just finished my "fluid" changes this week. Will change the snowblower oil (gearbox) in the fall.
Hours don't matter as much if you change everything every year regardless, at least that is my opinion, if you don't use them a lot. My BX25 has 200 hours on it now... If you put on 100-200 hours a year, or more, then follow the maintenance schedule...

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Kubota BX25D-1 TLBM + Woods RB60 Blade + Grass Catcher
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
Small price to pay for keeping all the "liquids" clear and clean.
That is the point, engine oil on a diesel engine will never be clear, unless of course you never run it. Now the smaller the engine, like on our 'botas' the longer it might take to go black, but it will go black on a diesel. The engine oil on my VW TDIs (Diesel) goes black immediately. Its all about the additive package. If it helps you feel better then by all means. :D

-Nick

framer rob

Equipment
2230 tractorC
Jun 6, 2017
antonito colorado
That is the point, engine oil on a diesel engine will never be clear, unless of course you never run it. Now the smaller the engine, like on our 'botas' the longer it might take to go black, but it will go black on a diesel. The engine oil on my VW TDIs (Diesel) goes black immediately. Its all about the additive package. If it helps you feel better then by all means. :D

-Nick
just wanting to know do you flush all the oil out of motor or just change oil and filter dye the gravity drain? I was told if you crank motor a few to empty remaining oil while draining will also allow your oil to remain clearer longer. do you know if that is to be true or mot?:confused:

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
just wanting to know do you flush all the oil out of motor or just change oil and filter dye the gravity drain? I was told if you crank motor a few to empty remaining oil while draining will also allow your oil to remain clearer longer. do you know if that is to be true or mot?:confused:

Crank over a dry engine? Absolutely not necessary. I can't imagine why that would be recommended.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Cranking a motor over with no oil in it is the quickest way to have buy a new engine for your tractor. Never turn an engine over with no oil in the oil pan.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Farmer Rob you ask, "I was told if you crank motor a few to empty remaining oil while draining will also allow your oil to remain clearer longer. do you know if that is to be true or mot?"

You need to find some other acquaintance to ask questions of mechanical nature to, because this one is a fool. You do that a few times and you will do what you don't do now....wrenching!!

Rob, not to offend, but some of the questions, your sentence structure, some of your statements, your jumping all over the form, your impatience makes me think you might just be a forum troll.

Prove me wrong, post a picture of your tractor and write a sentence with correct spelling and clarity.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
400 between oil changes is a little excessive. But not completely terrible. This number really depends on how often the equipment is run.

If equipment is run daily. Then 250 to 300 hours between changes is good.

If equipment is only run occasionally. Like my tractor, then I change the oil and fuel filters in the fall. This insures that I have clean fuel filters with out water in them in case I need the tractor for snow removal in the winter. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Cranking a motor over with no oil in it is the quickest way to have buy a new engine for your tractor. Never turn an engine over with no oil in the oil pan.
on boats with diesel engines, the engineer doing an oil change would drain the oil then fill the crankcase with diesel, crank it and run it for about 10 seconds or so, then drain the diesel which would wash the top end and crank case of old oil and sludge.

M

Camlocker75

Equipment
L3830, L3901, JD 5103
Dec 30, 2015
Alabama
I changed the oil and filters a few weeks ago on both the JD and Kubota. I also changed the gear oil and greased everything in both rotary cutters. I do this every year regardless of how many hours. Ironically, I was at 97 hours on the Kubota, so I changed it anyway. To me, oil and filters are cheap peace of mind and I check the oil EVERYTIME prior to starting my equipment....old habit.:cool:

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
My L3301 is a little over a year old, I did my first 50 hr service last year on 7-12-16. My engine hours today are 110.2 hrs.
My question to the forum is should I stick with the engine oil change maintenance hrs schedule or should I change the engine oil on a yearly basis?
Best Regards,
Melvin Hatcher
:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My L3301 is a little over a year old, I did my first 50 hr service last year on 7-12-16. My engine hours today are 110.2 hrs.
My question to the forum is should I stick with the engine oil change maintenance hrs schedule or should I change the engine oil on a yearly basis?
Best Regards,
Melvin Hatcher
:)
changing yearly may place a small nick in your pocketbook BUT a clear conscience is priceless.;)

I typically get about 50 hours a year on 3 machines each. Just did oil changes on all three about a week apart. Last change was a 2015 - so I am changing oil every two years and/or 100 hours. HST will stay a little longer!:p

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Because it is at least theoretically possible to contaminate the engine oil with diesel during regeneration, thus decreasing its lubricity, seems like it would be even more important to change oil frequently on the models with dpf filters.