Nuclear preparedness

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I agree with most of your post. However, your Gettysburg comparison struck a nerve. We read about Gettysburg in school, of course, but until I visited there at about age 30 it was just old news. Once I got past the chintzy shops in town and out on the actual ground, it hit me like a brick. Picturing hundreds of men with muskets charging into cannons loaded with the equivalent of shot . . . And the aftermath, wounded men lying untended for hours, days afterward. . . And the people charged with cleaning up later . . .

Yes, they didn't have nuclear weapons and fewer people were involved, but it was the great disaster of the time.

BTW, when I was young, I read a book in the church library about 5 or 9 ( can't remember) people who survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I think that was the title of the book. These people were in Hiroshima for the first bomb, then got to Nagasaki just in time for the second! And lived - at least for a while.
I did not mean to strike a nerve(that was not my intent)…I did not mean that with Gettysburg wasn’t aweful (meaning to say it was not mass destruction, it was the, civil war was, they all are aweful, it wasn’t in an instant though) that was a very surreal / eerie…horrible feeling when you read and take the walk and consider all the death/carnage the young men did too each other that in most cases never met there opponent…yes it was a hell, maybe just a different kind of hell…most certain mass destruction of people and cultures pitted against one another. My main point was that new tools of the trade most likely can unleash more devastation than we’ve seen previously…what we saw previously was aweful. Hard to imagine that’s what ‘civilization’ has evolved too….I don’t believe people are being better to one another and now the tools make so it can be done remotely and was more destruction.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I did not mean to strike a nerve(that was not my intent)…I did not mean that with Gettysburg wasn’t aweful (meaning to say it was not mass destruction, it was the, civil war was, they all are aweful, it wasn’t in an instant though) that was a very surreal / eerie…horrible feeling when you read and take the walk and consider all the death/carnage the young men did too each other that in most cases never met there opponent…yes it was a hell, maybe just a different kind of hell…most certain mass destruction of people and cultures pitted against one another. My main point was that new tools of the trade most likely can unleash more devastation than we’ve seen previously…what we saw previously was aweful. Hard to imagine that’s what ‘civilization’ has evolved too….I don’t believe people are being better to one another and now the tools make so it can be done remotely and was more destruction.
I get your point(s). The last one - that a nation can advance its capacity to destroy select parts or all of another nation without sacrificing its own resources is sobering. It seems only a matter of time until the wrong finger is on the button.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I get your point(s). The last one - that a nation can advance its capacity to destroy select parts or all of another nation without sacrificing its own resources is sobering. It seems only a matter of time until the wrong finger is on the button.
No doubt…maybe we should not sell / share our toys…not everyone will play nice or have our best interest at heart. Seems strange we would ever trade or sell that which may be pointed at us…I mean that individually or as a country. When I look at least at info generally available I think what is concerning thing is that beyond our real ‘peace keepers’, our country as a whole is no longer positioned to replenish supplies (hard and soft) internally/independently…that’s sort of troubling. That also means the use of the button could be more probable….and since someone thought it a good idea to sell/share, some others have same or more capabilty.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have been to Hiroshima and Nagasaki a few times. The museum at Hiroshima is eye opening.

At 75 my outlook is different in some ways. My preparation related to nuclear and other issues consists of sitting on the back porch with a beer in the afternoon, and not worrying about things I can’t control.

Also don’t spend any time anymore contemplating the meaning of life, and so on and so forth…

I just enjoy living now….

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'm not going to say how I know because it doesn't matter at this point.

Most of what you read about nuclear stuff, is not exactly correct.

Trust me from my own experience, it's a horrible way to go (radiation poisoning).

I've often thought about picking up a reefer connex and then burying it as a storm/fallout shelter.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm not going to say how I know because it doesn't matter at this point.

Most of what you read about nuclear stuff, is not exactly correct.

Trust me from my own experience, it's a horrible way to go (radiation poisoning).

I've often thought about picking up a reefer connex and then burying it as a storm/fallout shelter.
Ive read some interesting stuff about it as well…

(remember I’m just a Millennial) hence the reason I highlighted a couple things in my previous post. Past couple years really opened my eyes and my mind….

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin

(remember I’m just a Millennial) hence the reason I highlighted a couple things in my previous post. Past couple years really opened my eyes and my mind….
With all due respect, you're a Millennial?! I'm impressed that you are here on a tractor website. Kuddo's to you, Sir or Maam.

I'm much older than you and have 3 adult children btwn the ages of 40 and 28. Only 1 of those can understand God, farm, land, tractors, America, and The Constitution. God help me, I tried.

1 out of 3 is better than zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

As a boomer growing up in the '50-60's, it was quite common to see these signs posted in or on public buildings. With a number, of course, and usually a direction arrow. It was first come- first served, I guess.

images.jpeg

I grew up in a small town and don't remember the CD drills. Fire drills, yes.

I worked with an older engineer who was in the Pacific Navy while the post-war nuclear tests were being performed. He suspected that their inability to have children was caused by exposure.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
With all due respect, you're a Millennial?! I'm impressed that you are here on a tractor website. Kuddo's to you, Sir or Maam.

I'm much older than you and have 3 adult children btwn the ages of 40 and 28. Only 1 of those can understand God, farm, land, tractors, America, and The Constitution. God help me, I tried.

1 out of 3 is better than zero.
Thank you! And I was blessed to start life with my grandparents! Won’t go into the rest, been on my own since I was 16, just trying to make it through! (86 in my name is the year I was born 😉)

Trying to instill the same thing in my kids!

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users