Newbie question regarding a land pride cutter

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
Sorry if this question is hard to understand. I will take some pictures if I need to. Anyways, my l3200 was delivered about 6 weeks ago with a land pride 60 inch rotary cutter attached. I kept it connected up until about two weeks ago when I wanted to break up some ground with and old field cultivator that I found in our barn. So when I used the cutter upon delivery, I could raise to rear pto all the way up and it would raise the cutter just enough off the ground to drive the tractor back to the barn. The rear tire on the cutter would actually remain on the ground, which worked fine for me. After re installing the cutter, I can't seem to get it level. Now when I lift the pto up that back of the cutter comes way off the ground, and when I try to level it to cut with, the top support arm, (not sure what you call it) becomes loose and vibrates all over the place. I've tried adjusting it every which way but just couldn't get it right. I'm sure I'm missing something silly, should have paid more attention when I took it off for the first time. Thanks for your help, I'm a complete rookie with this stuff!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sorry if this question is hard to understand. I will take some pictures if I need to. Anyways, my l3200 was delivered about 6 weeks ago with a land pride 60 inch rotary cutter attached. I kept it connected up until about two weeks ago when I wanted to break up some ground with and old field cultivator that I found in our barn. So when I used the cutter upon delivery, I could raise to rear pto all the way up and it would raise the cutter just enough off the ground to drive the tractor back to the barn. The rear tire on the cutter would actually remain on the ground, which worked fine for me. After re installing the cutter, I can't seem to get it level. Now when I lift the pto up that back of the cutter comes way off the ground, and when I try to level it to cut with, the top support arm, (not sure what you call it) becomes loose and vibrates all over the place. I've tried adjusting it every which way but just couldn't get it right. I'm sure I'm missing something silly, should have paid more attention when I took it off for the first time. Thanks for your help, I'm a complete rookie with this stuff!
without seeing pictures, have you adjusted the top link too short or too long? it is what makes it change an angle, if you shorten the top link it will keep the wheel off the ground, bring the front of the cutter down, lenghten the top link will force the rear wheel down... something loose?

you should be able to raise cutter so that back wheel is about a foot off ground, or adjust that it will barely be off the ground. Not sure if you have a leveling adjustment on you 3 point....

the more I re-read your question, it seems that your adjustable top link is too sloppy...... send pics !

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The LP manual has a pretty good description of hooking up and adjusting, if you don't have one, you can download it from their site.

I believe you are referring to the toplink. Here is a video on terms and such which may help wit the description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5J5suE-Gs

Check to make sure your PTO driveline is securely attached to the PO shaft and Everything Attachments has some good videos on proper lengths etc.

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Implement-Video-Demonstrations-s/2999.htm

Some pictures might be helpful.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
When I change from my box scraper to the rotary cutter, if I do not remember to lengthen the top link the cutter will vibrate like crazy if I lift it up all the way. If I lower it to the ground everything is OK.

Does yours vibrate in any position you set it in or just one?

Fallon

Equipment
L3200
Sep 10, 2013
Parker, CO
Same exact vintage (month and a half old now), model, tractor, cutter & problem myself. 99% sure my problem was the top link of the 3 point slowly unscrewing itself due to vibration. Dropping the 3 point for slack & tightening it back up fixed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
I'll post pictures tomorrow or Sunday, I'm actually in the hospital. But I'm pretty sure the top link needs to be lengthened after thinking about it in my head!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sorry to hear of your stay in the hospital, hope all goes well.

I have a hydraulic top link on my l5740 and often change lengths for mowing, transition in hills, pond banks etc. and it has never created vibration.

Keep us posted and will be looking for your pictures.