New B2601 needs a mechanical thumb!

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the tractor or backhow will not handle the 16! I have no doubt....When I bought the L, I got the 10" bucket for same reason I picked the 12 this time. Once I started digging with the 10 on the L I broke out laughing at my concerns. Exact same reaction with the 12" bucket on the B tractor. The tree I took out of the hole yesterday had to stand over 7' side to side on roots and it took ot out of ground and right out of the hole and without the thumb. Shocked me that the BH70 had every bit of power and strength the L tractor had. Knowing all this, I still would pick either the 10" or 12" bucket for my use. I have very heavy and dense clay/gumbo over here. I don't mind an extra scoop or two to remove a tree from the ground. If I wanted speed on removal, I would have gotten a mini excavator instead. I love the B with a 12" bucket. I am sure you are just as happy with the 16" as I am with 12".
If I had ordered my tractor I would also chosen the 12, but I can not complain since I saved about 7-$8,000 on buying the used tractor.

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
If I had ordered my tractor I would also chosen the 12, but I can not complain since I saved about 7-$8,000 on buying the used tractor.
Wish I could have saved all that money. I would have gotten all the extras I want for it like thumb, canopy, bucket bar, grapple and a few other goodies ;-)

Reactions: 1 user

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
[Here is a pic of mine and what I have done to it so far. New work lights on ROPS, cargo box replacement on ROPS. Screen guard on grill guard
IMG_3306.jpeg

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
[Here is a pic of mine and what I have done to it so far. New work lights on ROPS, cargo box replacement on ROPS. Screen guard on grill guard
View attachment 49991
Looks great, I have done some of the same mods, grill guard screen, Rops LED lights. I have also built a guard for the HST filter (left side of tractor), installed fire extinguisher on Rops, rear view mirrors, Tool storage on Rops, chain storage tubes in the rear loader tubes and intalled a back up alarm. Get the thumb and bucket bar and I think I am done. Sorry no pics yet.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Looks great, I have done some of the same mods, grill guard screen, Rops LED lights. I have also built a guard for the HST filter (left side of tractor), installed fire extinguisher on Rops, rear view mirrors, Tool storage on Rops, chain storage tubes in the rear loader tubes and intalled a back up alarm. Get the thumb and bucket bar and I think I am done. Sorry no pics yet.
Sounds great. Can't wait for pics. I have several, but did not want to post them all on here.
I would like to make or install a bucket level indicator for the FEL. Drives me crazy not to see the bucket edge.

Last edited:

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Sounds great. Can't wait for pics. I have several, but did not want to post them all on here.
I would like to make or install a bucket level indicator for the FEL. Drives me crazy not to see the bucket edge.
I agree, have seen some different styles people have made on the web, some simple some complicated. Just need to decide what would work better for me.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I agree, have seen some different styles people have made on the web, some simple some complicated. Just need to decide what would work better for me.
Let me know if you get it figured out. frankb@mebtel.net.
Jim just called me and the straight edge came in this morning for the front bucket and box blades came in yesterday. Got to hook up trailer and go look at the box blade. At least I know I will be installing the edge bar today. Hope to have the box blade as well if it's the one I want.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Let me know if you get it figured out. frankb@mebtel.net.
Jim just called me and the straight edge came in this morning for the front bucket and box blades came in yesterday. Got to hook up trailer and go look at the box blade. At least I know I will be installing the edge bar today. Hope to have the box blade as well if it's the one I want.
Oh boy new toys. How far are you from dealer?

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Oh boy new toys. How far are you from dealer?
Well, I bought the front edge guard for FEL and the 5' box blade. Two more items down that I needed. I still need that thumb yet, but it is next on the list! I do believe I will go with the BXpanded thumb. At least that is what I am thinking today. Who knows what I will think tomorrow. LOL

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I think I am too close to dealer. Takes me only 20-25 minutes to spend my money!
I am 5 minutes away from mine, I am fortunate to have a great neighbor that has a 65 acre farm across from me that has a box blade, scraper blade, bush/brush hog, roller, sprayer, plus some others that are mine to use when needed. He does not live on the farm he lives up near Richmond and comes to the farm every couple of months. He does not have a tractor with loader or backhoe so he is happy to know I can supply some assistance when needed now.
How often do you remove your backhoe? I have not tried yet, instructions and video's make it look pretty easy.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am 5 minutes away from mine, I am fortunate to have a great neighbor that has a 65 acre farm across from me that has a box blade, scraper blade, bush/brush hog, roller, sprayer, plus some others that are mine to use when needed. He does not live on the farm he lives up near Richmond and comes to the farm every couple of months. He does not have a tractor with loader or backhoe so he is happy to know I can supply some assistance when needed now.
How often do you remove your backhoe? I have not tried yet, instructions and video's make it look pretty easy.
On the L series I removed the backhoe very often. In fact I would say 3 to 4 times a week. So far I have not yet removed the BH70 from the tractor. Been too busy digging. Once it slows down a bit I want to get the box blade set up to clean up the digging. It is not too hard to do. Just remember to try to keep on fairly level ground and make sure you release all pressure from hydro before disconnecting or you will have a very hard time reconnecting hoses again.

Reactions: 1 user

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Well, I bought the front edge guard for FEL and the 5' box blade. Two more items down that I needed. I still need that thumb yet, but it is next on the list! I do believe I will go with the BXpanded thumb. At least that is what I am thinking today. Who knows what I will think tomorrow. LOL
I am ready to purchase the thumb for the BH70 backhoe now, but not sure which unit to buy. They offer the small and for $10 more, the large. It will come from BXPanded. Trying to find out which one is right for the 12" bucket I have

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I am ready to purchase the thumb for the BH70 backhoe now, but not sure which unit to buy. They offer the small and for $10 more, the large. It will come from BXPanded. Trying to find out which one is right for the 12" bucket I have
The thumb you need depends on the number of teeth on your existing bucket, it is a little confusing but if you go to BXPanded's web page it explains it. I have the 16 inch bucket with 4 teeth on the bucket and only the short thumb would work. If I remember correctly the long and short thumb will work with the 12 inch 3 tooth bucket. The long thumb allows you to pick up smaller items because the thumb teeth pinch between the bucket teeth.