New B2601 needs a mechanical thumb!

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I started doing a search on a good mechanical thumb for my new tractor and there are so many different ones and not sure what is what or what is good.
Anyone have experience with the Mechanical Thumb aftermarket on their B2601?
I have the BH70 backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I am in the same situation as you with the same tractor, I looked on the Kubota build site and it is a $482 option. To me that is way too much money. The Bxpanded brand barracuda thumb is $370 which is a little better on price. Not sure if there are any other aftermarkets available. I have read others have had them made by a welding shop.
Lets hope others offer up some more alternatives.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I had an aftermarket on my L series tractor and it worked perfect, but can't remember where I got it from. It was a few years ago and that tractor is long been sold off.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I bought the factory fixed position one...and converted it to hydraulic my self. That is the most handy function on my tractor...

not sure what your price point is... but the hydraulics and hoses on mine were about 300 bucks...plus whatever the Kubota dealer charged me when I bought the backhoe.

Attachments

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I started doing a search on a good mechanical thumb for my new tractor and there are so many different ones and not sure what is what or what is good.
Anyone have experience with the Mechanical Thumb aftermarket on their B2601?
I have the BH70 backhoe.
Did you ever figure out your backhoe thumb dilemma? I am leaning towards the BXpanded Barracuda , I have tried contacting Bro-tec about a thumb for the B2601 but it appears they only offer bolt on style for different machines. Have not heard of any other manufacturers.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Did you ever figure out your backhoe thumb dilemma? I am leaning towards the BXpanded Barracuda , I have tried contacting Bro-tec about a thumb for the B2601 but it appears they only offer bolt on style for different machines. Have not heard of any other manufacturers.
Have not yet worked it out. Going to dealer tomorrow to talk about a steel cutting edge for the FEL bucket and will talk about the thumb, bucket edge as well as the Grapple I want. Will let you know if I find out anything from him. Dealership is in Danville Va.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Have not yet worked it out. Going to dealer tomorrow to talk about a steel cutting edge for the FEL bucket and will talk about the thumb, bucket edge as well as the Grapple I want. Will let you know if I find out anything from him. Dealership is in Danville Va.
Have you looked at a Piranha Bar for the FEL? It might be better for digging in the rocky soil as opposed to a straight bar.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Have you looked at a Piranha Bar for the FEL? It might be better for digging in the rocky soil as opposed to a straight bar.
I have seen them in action and can say I really do not care for them at all. I do prefer a straight bar. I would rather use the box blade with the scarifiers and then turn the tractor around and scoop with the FEL and straight blade.
When I need to dig, I just use the backhoe. I have a 12" bucket with the four nice deep teeth on it.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Is your dealer Collie Equip.? If it is it's a small world because that was where my tractor was purchased. I bought it second hand.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Is your dealer Collie Equip.? If it is it's a small world because that was where my tractor was purchased. I bought it second hand.
Yes, both tractors were from Jim Shields. I sat in his office this morning for a couple hours chatting with Jim. Ordered a box blade and a front blade for the FEL bucket. I have known Jim for a few years now, and he seems to really care about all his customers. Jim was able to sell my L series when I no longer had a need for a tractor that size.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Yes, both tractors were from Jim Shields. I sat in his office this morning for a couple hours chatting with Jim. Ordered a box blade and a front blade for the FEL bucket. I have known Jim for a few years now, and he seems to really care about all his customers. Jim was able to sell my L series when I no longer had a need for a tractor that size.
[/QUOT
Who would have thought our tractors came from same dealer, I have never been there but the original owner of mine said Jim was the man I needed to talk to about getting my Warranty swapped over to my name. My B2601 had 61 hrs (2019), BH and FEL only.
Did you find out any info on the thumb? I found a used one for sale in Ohio but he wont ship he was asking $325 it is a Kubota thumb.
I am 5 miles north of Rocky Mount (VA). My dealer is Rocky Mount Tractor and is 3 miles from my home.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Who would have thought our tractors came from same dealer, I have never been there but the original owner of mine said Jim was the man I needed to talk to about getting my Warranty swapped over to my name. My B2601 had 61 hrs (2019), BH and FEL only.
Did you find out any info on the thumb? I found a used one for sale in Ohio but he wont ship he was asking $325 it is a Kubota thumb.
I am 5 miles north of Rocky Mount (VA). My dealer is Rocky Mount Tractor and is 3 miles from my home.
Jim is the owner and a real nice guy as well.
I am trying to find the video of a guy installing his manual thumb on his backhoe. I think it's the same one I ordered last time but for life of me cannot remember where I ordered from. I am not yet giving up. I know I did not pay that big price for mine and it worked great. This is ongoing for now.... I am not giving up...yet! Just found it I think. Look at Barracuda Back Hoe Thumb.

Last edited:

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Jim is the owner and a real nice guy as well.
I am trying to find the video of a guy installing his manual thumb on his backhoe. I think it's the same one I ordered last time but for life of me cannot remember where I ordered from. I am not yet giving up. I know I did not pay that big price for mine and it worked great. This is ongoing for now.... I am not giving up...yet! Just found it I think. Look at Barracuda Back Hoe Thumb.
Yes that is the one I have seen also, BXexpanded makes them and they look real good they also make the Piranha bar for our buckets. Only negative I have heard is the wait time to get products from them is like 6 to 8 weeks but they take your funds instantly.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Yes that is the one I have seen also, BXexpanded makes them and they look real good they also make the Piranha bar for our buckets. Only negative I have heard is the wait time to get products from them is like 6 to 8 weeks but they take your funds instantly.
Well, sometimes things are just worth waiting for. I know I was happy the first time and see no reason not to be this time either.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Well, sometimes things are just worth waiting for. I know I was happy the first time and see no reason not to be this time either.
Just ordered a BXexpanded Piranha bar and a Barracuda thumb, now the wait and anticipation begins.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just ordered a BXexpanded Piranha bar and a Barracuda thumb, now the wait and anticipation begins.
Very nice. Can't wait for you to get the thumb. I still have the mixed feelings about the Piranha bar. I ordered the straight factory bar for my bucket. I don't like the strain that Piranha bar puts on the loader and bucket. I have the BH70 to do my digging. Keep us posted on both please.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
Very nice. Can't wait for you to get the thumb. I still have the mixed feelings about the Piranha bar. I ordered the straight factory bar for my bucket. I don't like the strain that Piranha bar puts on the loader and bucket. I have the BH70 to do my digging. Keep us posted on both please.
I ordered the short thumb as I have the 16 inch bucket with 4 teeth, as far as the Piranha tooth bar I understand the part of you could overstress the loader if used for digging. I mainly want it for its ability to cut into a pile of dirt or crush &run gravel easier then the factory straight edge. At least I hope it does.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I ordered the short thumb as I have the 16 inch bucket with 4 teeth, as far as the Piranha tooth bar I understand the part of you could overstress the loader if used for digging. I mainly want it for its ability to cut into a pile of dirt or crush &run gravel easier then the factory straight edge. At least I hope it does.
I'm sure it will work for that. I had the straight edge on my L tractor and it worked just fine for dirt and gravel piles so no reason the Piranha blade wouldn't work.
I am not sure on the thumb for me. I have a 12" bucket. Did not want to stress out the backhoe with a larger one so went with the 12. Not sure about the size of thumb to get now. I always had to use the hydro thumb on the work hoe.

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I'm sure it will work for that. I had the straight edge on my L tractor and it worked just fine for dirt and gravel piles so no reason the Piranha blade wouldn't work.
I am not sure on the thumb for me. I have a 12" bucket. Did not want to stress out the backhoe with a larger one so went with the 12. Not sure about the size of thumb to get now. I always had to use the hydro thumb on the work hoe.
My tractor came with the 16 inch bucket the original owner used it a lot for digging footers for his small house / cabin. It seems to cut easily into our clay dirt so far not sure how well it will do in dry hard clay will find out if we ever stop getting rain.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
My tractor came with the 16 inch bucket the original owner used it a lot for digging footers for his small house / cabin. It seems to cut easily into our clay dirt so far not sure how well it will do in dry hard clay will find out if we ever stop getting rain.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the tractor or backhow will not handle the 16! I have no doubt....When I bought the L, I got the 10" bucket for same reason I picked the 12 this time. Once I started digging with the 10 on the L I broke out laughing at my concerns. Exact same reaction with the 12" bucket on the B tractor. The tree I took out of the hole yesterday had to stand over 7' side to side on roots and it took ot out of ground and right out of the hole and without the thumb. Shocked me that the BH70 had every bit of power and strength the L tractor had. Knowing all this, I still would pick either the 10" or 12" bucket for my use. I have very heavy and dense clay/gumbo over here. I don't mind an extra scoop or two to remove a tree from the ground. If I wanted speed on removal, I would have gotten a mini excavator instead. I love the B with a 12" bucket. I am sure you are just as happy with the 16" as I am with 12".