MX6000 oil Seperator. What is the purpose of this?

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Greetings,

Just took delivery of our new MX6000 yesterday. Reading through the manual today and under maintenance there is an "Oil Seperator" that needs service every 1500 hours. Is this for engine oil or hydraulic oil? Is it DPF related? What is the purpose of this unit? I have not seen this before, was it called something else in the past or is it something new? Seems like 1500 hours is a lot of time on a new piece of machinery before a filter change. Would anyone recommend changing it sooner?

Also to note, engine oil and filter first service is 50 hours then every 400 hours after that.

Thanks for any help.
Sean

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Greetings,

Just took delivery of our new MX6000 yesterday. Reading through the manual today and under maintenance there is an "Oil Seperator" that needs service every 1500 hours. Is this for engine oil or hydraulic oil? Is it DPF related? What is the purpose of this unit? I have not seen this before, was it called something else in the past or is it something new? Seems like 1500 hours is a lot of time on a new piece of machinery before a filter change. Would anyone recommend changing it sooner?

Also to note, engine oil and filter first service is 50 hours then every 400 hours after that.

Thanks for any help.
Sean

According to the WSM, "the oil separator removes oil in the blowby gasses that pass through the element and the oil is returned to the oil pan". It's basically a fancy PCV valve to capture all of that pesky oil that gets past the rings.

And welcome to the forum. I think you're going to like the MX6000. Did you choose the open station HST or cab HSTC version?

oil_separator2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Thanks for the info on that. Much appreciated.

I see now under service intervals #24 PCV valve then oil Seperator in parenthesis. Talks more about it on page 144.

Is there a workshop manual online somewhere that is accessible for this machine?

We got the open station hydro model; 3rd function two rear remotes one with detent. One thing we did not get was loaded rear tires as it is for the golf course. Our other tractors don't have loaded tires either. The boss did not want them because we have a weight box or use implements for counterweight. This will be interesting how it works out on this one as I think the overall weight is less than our other tractors. If we decide that loaded tires are needed in the future, we will have it done. Very light in the back and loader is almost unusable and dangerous without any rear weight.

The 400-hour mark on oil changes is the most I have ever seen from the factory. Our B2601 (I know totally different animal) we bought last year is 200Hrs.

Do any of you do 400 Hour oil changes on your MX6000?

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for the info on that. Much appreciated.

I see now under service intervals #24 PCV valve then oil Seperator in parenthesis. Talks more about it on page 144.

Is there a workshop manual online somewhere that is accessible for this machine?

We got the open station hydro model; 3rd function two rear remotes one with detent. One thing we did not get was loaded rear tires as it is for the golf course. Our other tractors don't have loaded tires either. The boss did not want them because we have a weight box or use implements for counterweight. This will be interesting how it works out on this one as I think the overall weight is less than our other tractors. If we decide that loaded tires are needed in the future, we will have it done. Very light in the back and loader is almost unusable and dangerous without any rear weight.

The 400-hour mark on oil changes is the most I have ever seen from the factory. Our B2601 (I know totally different animal) we bought last year is 200Hrs.

Do any of you do 400 Hour oil changes on your MX6000?
WSM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GY5KwhEnSKzZlB6bLwEJUSEcVpFUonmO/view?usp=share_link

I think you are misreading the manual. First oil change is 50 hours and the next is 200 hours.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Yes, my L47 says 400hr oil in the manual & I have found 200hr also. I will be doing it every 200hr, between a $12 oil filter and $30 oil it will be the cheapest and probably most important maintenance I am going to do, darn thing cost too much to abuse.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Greetings,

Thanks for any help.
Sean
I would ask the guy you just created a big commission for at the dealer. In the hierarchy of knowledge and accountability (for warranty purposes) the dealer is at the top. Just sayin. Good luck.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I would ask the guy you just created a big commission for at the dealer. In the hierarchy of knowledge and accountability (for warranty purposes) the dealer is at the top. Just sayin. Good luck.
Meh, “most” salesmen don’t know shit if it ain’t in a brochure.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
1500....you got a while for that. It's a fancy widget for catching the oil that comes back through the crankcase breather. I'm actually surprised they call it out as a maintenance item.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, my L47 says 400hr oil in the manual & I have found 200hr also. I will be doing it every 200hr, between a $12 oil filter and $30 oil it will be the cheapest and probably most important maintenance I am going to do, darn thing cost too much to abuse.
Can you post a source for the 200 hour oil change?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I think the OPs real question is on the OS interval of 1500 hours.
It's not a hydro or EO filter. It's a crankcase vent baffle to remove oil droplets from the vapor. If the silly emissions controls will let you, just vent that line to the bottom of the tractor and let it hang. There are gause filters you can put on the end to prevent debris infiltration. I faked out the Ford to let me do that. Keeps the intake a little cleaner.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
When California took the first real actions to regulate vehicle emissions in the early 1960s because the LA area was already choked with smog, the first thing they did was ban ‘puke tubes’. That’s the old slang for ventilating your blowby gases to atmosphere. I think that ONE change knocked down smog formation by 60+%.

I dont particularly care if someone vents their blowby to atmosphere, but it would be silly to do it on a perfectly healthy brand new engine just to avoid servicing a filter element every, what, TEN YEARS?! The reaity of it is if you keep the engine healthy, it will never clog that filter and youll never HAVE to touch it whether you hit 1500, 2000, 3000hrs… So just do your maintenance and forget that thing exists!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think the OPs real question is on the OS interval of 1500 hours.
It's not a hydro or EO filter. It's a crankcase vent baffle to remove oil droplets from the vapor.
I described what it was and posted a photo of it in post #3, but the OP is also asking about engine oil and filter changes. He's getting conflicting information so I'm simply confirming that the information he read in the owner's manual is indeed correct.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I described what it was and posted a photo of it in post #3, but the OP is also asking about engine oil and filter changes. He's getting conflicting information so I'm simply confirming that the information he read in the owner's manual is indeed correct.
I was only going from the 1st post and sentences that had queation marks. But I see where the oil thread comes from now.

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Back in the day, a neighbor had a tired old IH, where they literally put a bucket under the crankcase breather to catch the oil blowby!

So as others have posted, the separator is a little classier version of the bucket. It sends the breather mist back to the oil pan, and the fumes to the intake.

Service as scheduled and you'll be fine.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's not what it says in the owner's manual I have for the MX. Oil and filter change at 50 hours and then at 400 hours is what it shows. The M6060 owner's manual shows 50 hours for oil and filter and then every 500 hours after that.

View attachment 97173
I’ll have to go look at my manual again. That does seem like a long interval between changes.

Edited: you are correct. 400 hour oil changes. It sure seems too long.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I’ll have to go look at my manual again. That does seem like a long interval between changes.

Edited: you are correct. 400 hour oil changes. It sure seems too long.
The new engines only require oil changes at 400 hours because they are not blowing the exhaust back into the inside of the engine and making dirty oil.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m not a REAL farmer….. so I change my tractors’ oil every 100 hrs.

If i waited until 400 hrs to change the oil…. that’d be about every 4 or 5 years.