Mower blades

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I buy 3 sets of blades at once. When I install set #3, set 1 & 2 get sharpened and balanced. I balance my blades by hanging them on a piece of solid shaft, driven like a nail into a vertical post.
Wouldn't two sets accomplish what you are doing?

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
While speaking to a friend about my buying a machine for grinding the blades, he told me that he used a bastard file to sharpen his brush hog blades. Not sure if it works as well as he said it does.

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
All american Sharpener and Oregon blade balancer, super quick and easy. I do my Scag blades every 20 or so hours, makes a big difference and only takes a few min to do. Found the All American Sharpener on Marketplace but there's now knock offs all over Amazon.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Wife works for a major tool manufacturer here in Rockford so I have the luxury of simply giving her my blades, she takes them there and the guys who do final sharpening and "tuning" (and balancing) on the tools they make. So I have a second set here and she takes the first. I simply swap them out. I am definitely not good at sharpening my own.
FWIW I buy Predator Blades and they're incredibly tough.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wife works for a major tool manufacturer here in Rockford so I have the luxury of simply giving her my blades, she takes them there and the guys who do final sharpening and "tuning" (and balancing) on the tools they make. So I have a second set here and she takes the first. I simply swap them out. I am definitely not good at sharpening my own.
FWIW I buy Predator Blades and they're incredibly tough.
Nice!

Like you, FWIW I’ve had good luck with Gator G6 blades.

Not a huge fan of them, but seem to hold an edge better than OEM.

Reactions: 1 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Kubota and Honda replacement blades are worth sharpening to me, so I sharpen them. Same with chainsaw chain. If I were running cheap equipment I'd buy cheap replacement blades and not bother salvaging them, but I like reliability. Buy quality, buy once.

(Equipment I used is listed on my profile.)

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
All american Sharpener and Oregon blade balancer, super quick and easy. I do my Scag blades every 20 or so hours, makes a big difference and only takes a few min to do. Found the All American Sharpener on Marketplace but there's now knock offs all over Amazon.

Yup, that’s my system too! Hardest thing is getting the mower up in the air but I do have a “MoJack” for that!

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
While speaking to a friend about my buying a machine for grinding the blades, he told me that he used a bastard file to sharpen his brush hog blades. Not sure if it works as well as he said it does.
Why wouldn’t it?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Kubota and Honda replacement blades are worth sharpening to me, so I sharpen them. Same with chainsaw chain. If I were running cheap equipment I'd buy cheap replacement blades and not bother salvaging them, but I like reliability. Buy quality, buy once.

(Equipment I used is listed on my profile.)
Didn't think of it, but I always sharpened my own chainsaw chains. Always did them by hand with a file and guide. Always got good ones.

Don't need to do them as often anymore, but still my modus operandi.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Wouldn't two sets accomplish what you are doing?
Of course..when they're found on sale, I jump while the gettins good. Things sure as heck aren't getting cheaper, right.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Didn't think of it, but I always sharpened my own chainsaw chains. Always did them by hand with a file and guide. Always got good ones.

Don't need to do them as often anymore, but still my modus operandi.
I used to. But for some reason I can't sharpen them evenly. Then the saw wants to walk in one direction. I pay the guy $15 to sharpen 2 chains at a time.