Milwaukee Portaband

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I always wanted one of these. I finally found a lightly used Milwaukee 6232-21 for a decent price. $140. The seller met me half way, so less driving on my part.

It come with 3 new blades. I'll be looking into the chopsaw attachment next.

1000027099.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I've had one for years. It's as handy as a shirt pocket. If you do "projects", you'll be amazed you got by this long without one.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've always been intrigued by those.

I see they make a stand for them in order to turn them into a vertical band saw.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve looked at those also. Have other Milwaukee tools.

Don’t know new cost, but betting you did great at $140. Nice find!

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I’ve had one for years. I wouldn’t sell mine for $140.00, you did good.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I use mine every single day; it's my most used metal working tool. You got a steal at $140.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I’ve looked at those also. Have other Milwaukee tools.

Don’t know new cost, but betting you did great at $140. Nice find!
What I got is very near $400 with the case and blades. I wanted one years ago, but no way I was buying new. Used (pre Facebook Marketplace) they were difficult to find. Anymore with patience, you can find pretty much anything.

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You will wonder how you ever got along without it!
Kinda falls in line the same as doing manual labor on the homestead for 25 years, then buying a tractor!!

Oh, I'm sure this new addition will come in very handy.

I've got hand powered hacksaws, air saws, Sawzalls (corded/cordless), metal chopsaw (a relic) and "other".

For the most, using any of them has been frustrating, time consuming, and not very productive at all. I've also got an old cast-iron Craftsman bandsaw, but that's more meant for woodworking. I never did put a metal cutting blade on that.

This Porta-Band will be a real treat, for metal fab, and beyond.

Last edited:

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
I always wanted one of these. I finally found a lightly used Milwaukee 6232-21 for a decent price. $140. The seller met me half way, so less driving on my part.

It come with 3 new blades. I'll be looking into the chopsaw attachment next.

View attachment 138448
They are awesome tools. I have an ancient one, unsure of the model. I recently bought the Harbor Freight universal frame for it. Yours may work better on it than mine does. I had to do some slight modification to get the full cut in "chop saw" configuration.

It is a little touchy to dial in 90 degrees both ways, but it is doable. It is not something you pop out of the frame for a quick cut and pop back in because of this. I have not removed it since in set it up. If you have a good bench to set it up on, it would not need to be removed to cut off a small chunk off a large piece.

Enjoy a nice tool!
Doug

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
They are awesome tools. I have an ancient one, unsure of the model. I recently bought the Harbor Freight universal frame for it. Yours may work better on it than mine does. I had to do some slight modification to get the full cut in "chop saw" configuration.

It is a little touchy to dial in 90 degrees both ways, but it is doable. It is not something you pop out of the frame for a quick cut and pop back in because of this. I have not removed it since in set it up. If you have a good bench to set it up on, it would not need to be removed to cut off a small chunk off a large piece.

Enjoy a nice tool!
Doug
Matter of fact, I've been considering the HF stand. I can't BELIEVE the prices in which a lot of others cost.

Thanks for the heads-up on the angle adjustment.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I was able to pick-up the Hercules chopsaw base, from Harbor Freight Yesterday. They had one left. I'll see if I get it put together today, and share my thoughts.

The display model.
1000027214.jpg

1000027213.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have quite a few Milwaukee corded tools that I bought at swap meets. I do have the Milwaukee corded band saw and it is great if you are cutting a lot at one time. I also have a DeWalt 18/20 volt portable band saw that I use for quick cuts. The one thing that I will warn people about is to not take your hands off the handles until the blade stops turning. I learned this the hard way and almost lost a finger. A few stitches and a few weeks later the finger was like new again.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I used one of these to convert my Harbor Freight portable band saw into a vertical bandsaw.
I saw those. The kit comes with pretty decent reviews. I researched the manufacture, and hoped they built a horizontal kit. Nope.

The kit I purchased does vertical and horizontal. How well, remains to be tested.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Getting it mounted is kinda a PIT backside, but once done and locked down. It's pretty solid.

The Milwaukee (mine) "almost" self-aligns itself to the cutting base.

1000027230.jpg

1000027229.jpg

1000027228.jpg

I was in such a rush when I was there, I forgot to also get the material clamp.
1000027232.jpg

My wife was having back surgery when I scooted too HF. The Surgeon called me while I was there, and I lost my chain of thought. I paid and hurried out.

Last edited:

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I've had a portaband for 20+ years. Mine's all grey. Very handy, but I noticed it's tough to cut 2" square perfectly strait, towards the end I always veer off a bit.

So I bought a wen bandsaw off amazon. Around $400. I have put probably 100 hours on that sucker this year, and only on my second blade.

I'm building a metal roof over my patio and all my cuts are on the bandsaw. It's paid for itself a hundred times over.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've had a portaband for 20+ years. Mine's all grey. Very handy, but I noticed it's tough to cut 2" square perfectly strait, towards the end I always veer off a bit.

So I bought a wen bandsaw off amazon. Around $400. I have put probably 100 hours on that sucker this year, and only on my second blade.

I'm building a metal roof over my patio and all my cuts are on the bandsaw. It's paid for itself a hundred times over.

Just as an aside: I have been very impressed with every WEN product I have bought.

To date I have a log splitter, dual fuel-battery start generator and most recently electric metal shears.

All have punched far above their weight class.

Cool project!! (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Getting it mounted is kinda a PIT backside, but once done and locked down. It's pretty solid.

The Milwaukee (mine) "almost" self-aligns itself to the cutting base.

View attachment 139058
View attachment 139059

View attachment 139061

I was in such a rush when I was there, I forgot to also get the material clamp.
View attachment 139062

My wife was having back surgery when I scooted too HF. The Surgeon called me while I was there, and I lost my chain of thought. I paid and hurried out.

Looks handy.

I was thinking about gifting my vertical "wood bandsaw" to my SIL and replacing it with a "porta-band" with a vertical mount.