M95S Broken Syncronizer gear

arnoldwv

Equipment
2005 M95S
Oct 13, 2011
Romney, WV
Hey guys. Need some advice here. I have a 2005 M95S cab/loader with 1040 hours on it. At a little under 1000 hours, I noticed a vibration in the main shifter and eventually it got stuck in 1st gear. Let out on the clutch and nothing. Long story short, it has a broken sync gear (broken in 3 places!!). We only hay with the tractor with no hard pulling (disc, plow, etc) and not much loader work except hay forks and loading some manure from time to time. Always been babied. We have 7 or 8 other tractors (mostly older Fergusons, and a Case 2290 and have farmed full-time for (me - 20 years, Dad - 50 years) so we know how to run equipment. It is torn down now at a dealer....not the original dealer...he went out of business 2 years ago:(. with the cab/loader off and split in half. Looking at 60+ hrs labor plus parts...probably $4-6000...maybe more. They say Kubota won't do anything. What's your thoughts on getting them to help/pay for repairs? I think it had to be a defective sync gear from the factory. Thanks a bunch for a great forum!

arnoldwv

Equipment
2005 M95S
Oct 13, 2011
Romney, WV
Don't you agree though that it's rediculous that a gear breaks at 1000 hours? I've got tractors with 5 times that many hours that have no transmission problems. I've searched for hours online for other people with same problem but have found none....tells me that something was defective. When I get it back, it'll be gone and I'll have green in the shed like all my fellow farmers around here. I tried to save a few thousand by going Kubota and now it's gonna cost me bigtime!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Don't you agree though that it's rediculous that a gear breaks at 1000 hours? I've got tractors with 5 times that many hours that have no transmission problems. I've searched for hours online for other people with same problem but have found none....tells me that something was defective. When I get it back, it'll be gone and I'll have green in the shed like all my fellow farmers around here. I tried to save a few thousand by going Kubota and now it's gonna cost me bigtime!
No one is .ever happy when their equipment fails and it's going to cost them some money! As you wrote, this is far from a common problem, in fact we have sold lots of these tractors and I have only had one of those transmissions apart.
Realistically though, even if you do have to cough up 5 or 6 grand you will STILL have a lot less money tied up than if you would've bought a comparable John Deere! John Deeres break too, I've repaired a few of them in our shop ( our labour rate is considerably less than the local JD store) and the owners didn't think they should have broken either!
Ed

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
For a gear to break like you describe, there should be a visible clue to the failure. Firstly save the broken parts and check them out. I would suggest there may be a hardness problem. Most engineering shops would be able to test it and give you a value. If you can't get a specified figure as a value from Kubota, check another gear that hasn't failed and compare. Another cause is faulty machining where there has been gearcutting witness marks at the root of the tooth, this could lead to a concentration of stresses and failure. It may be unlikely but if possible try and get the steel analysed, highly unlikely but it could have been made from incorredt material. The above is given without me seeing or knowing this gear and pre supposes that you have not subjected the unit to serious out of the ordinary shock loads. I would guess that your gear failed at one part only and the other fractures were a result of the original crack.

Just my tuppenceworth.

arnoldwv

Equipment
2005 M95S
Oct 13, 2011
Romney, WV
Thanks for the replies guys and your insight! Eserv, I do understand that I'll still have less than a Deere and that they can break too, my concern is why did it break and what will keep it from happening again in another 1000 hours. I'm afraid I'm just gonna be wondering when it's gonna happen out of the blue again. I'm tellin' ya, this tractor has never been abused. Only my Dad and I have ever driven it. Anyway, we'll see i guess. Thanks again for your time!!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks for the replies guys and your insight! Eserv, I do understand that I'll still have less than a Deere and that they can break too, my concern is why did it break and what will keep it from happening again in another 1000 hours. I'm afraid I'm just gonna be wondering when it's gonna happen out of the blue again. I'm tellin' ya, this tractor has never been abused. Only my Dad and I have ever driven it. Anyway, we'll see i guess. Thanks again for your time!!
Well I can't guarantee that another one won't break on you but from my own experience having one break is a very rare occurrence! having 2 break would be the worst kind of luck! I seriously would be shocked if you ever have to go into that transmission again provided the mechanic puts it together right! ( at 60+ hours he better get it right! thats over 3 times the warranty time that Kubota would pay them! but you probably didn't want to hear that!)
Ed

jms13

Jun 25, 2015
Kansas City MO
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if this is a common problem?
I'm going to look at one tomorrow that HAD the same problem. It is currently at
the dealership that just fixed it. The previous owner decided totraded it for a new one. It only has 892 hrs on it. Should I be aware of anything else?
Dealer stated he had no problem adding a warranty to tractor.

TIA.