LX2610 Tire sizes

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
First off great forum, all of you great people have helped answer most of my questions.
I tried a forum search and it doesn't seem to be much discussion on this, let me know if I missed an earlier discussion.

I am working on quotes from dealers for a LX2610 Rops model with FEL, Backhoe, and 60"MMM
I notice there are 2 different R14 tires available, If I get the MMM I assume you want the smaller tires?
What would be the reason for the larger tires?

I asked the local dealers and surprised that they were not sure, but one stated most tractors leave with small tires, another dealer only said he thought if you go with a cab model you have to get smaller tires.
Thanks Bob M

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have a lx2610 cab. I would have liked the larger tires but you can’t get the larger tires with the cab.
The 2610SU comes standard with the larger tires. But there is no mid PTO so there is no possibility of mounting a mower.

I believe you can get the larger tires with the LX2610 but you wouldn’t be able to use a MMM.

So, if you want a MMM, you are stuck with the smaller, standard, tires.

I hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
NJTool is correct. You cannot have the big tires if you want to run the MMM. My dealer told me they were not an option on the non-SU models. I have the big R-14's, and they make the SU look all growed up, rivalling the size of the L3900. The larger tires were largely intended to raise the tractor up to accommodate the departure angle for the backhoe option. With a backhoe subframe, you can't have the MMM either. I would still get the R-14's in your case if you're planning on mowing with it. I've been all over my yard with my SU with loaded tires, and unless I turn sharply in 4x4 (why would I even use 4x4 on a lawn?), I don't harm the grass. But, when needed, they're plenty aggressive. I can't put my hand between the rolled fender edge and the top of the tire, and I have pretty small hands. I could definitely use some wheel spacers because the front tires/wheels are also larger, making the whole thing nearly 5 inches taller, meaning the COG was raised by that same 5 inches. Makes for a little pucker factor if you get it leaning to one side. I will definitely keep the FEL as low as possible any time I'm moving.

Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
First off great forum, all of you great people have helped answer most of my questions.
I tried a forum search and it doesn't seem to be much discussion on this, let me know if I missed an earlier discussion.

I am working on quotes from dealers for a LX2610 Rops model with FEL, Backhoe, and 60"MMM
I notice there are 2 different R14 tires available, If I get the MMM I assume you want the smaller tires?
What would be the reason for the larger tires?

I asked the local dealers and surprised that they were not sure, but one stated most tractors leave with small tires, another dealer only said he thought if you go with a cab model you have to get smaller tires.
Thanks Bob M
I investigated this issue thoroughly before buying my B3350.

The larger tires (R4s or R14Ts) look impressive but have several disadvantages, especially for the 2650/2610.

As previously mentioned, the optional oversized tires preclude the use of a MMM, which is not compatible with the SU model anyway. Tire chains are also precluded due to spacing issues with the fenders.

Steering stops are also required increasing turning radius.

Finally, and most important for 2650/2610 models, the oversized tires increase travel speed requiring more HP. Of course, if the tires are loaded, the loaded, oversized tires add even more weight requiring even more HP.

I bought a ROPS model which is available with the optional, oversized tires but found the disadvantages far outweighed the advantages even ignoring cost.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Old Paint, did I read your reply correctly, I'm getting the backhoe and sub-frame and the 60" MMM.
I was under the impression it was all compatible?

Thanks,

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
The only thing the larger tires aren’t compatible with is the MMM. A backhoe is fine on the smaller tires (standard tires)

I have a lx2610 cab with a backhoe. No problems

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe that you can use the MMM with the backhoe subframe. I think I heard there are some compromises in lift height of the mower deck - so not "you can't" but "there are impacts".

@SDT, but you miss the most important fact. The big tires look really cool. We're all fashion victims here, surely? (To be honest, I think I'd be getting them if I was getting an LX and I didn't need the MMM, they do actually look really cool)

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Yes you can have the mmm with the backhoe.

Taller tires will make the 2610 a little more tipsy.

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I found a dealer 2 hrs south of me that has one in stock, hopefully they are in the mood to deal.
BobM

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Since I have the 60" MMM as well, I could not opt for the larger tires either. However, I did get some 2" rear wheel spacers for added stability / coolness. Kubota won't allow you to add them with a MMM but I know others with the very similar B2650 have done it successfully (other than with turf tires).

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Since I have the 60" MMM as well, I could not opt for the larger tires either. However, I did get some 2" rear wheel spacers for added stability / coolness. Kubota won't allow you to add them with a MMM but I know others with the very similar B2650 have done it successfully (other than with turf tires).
I don't understand why adding wheel spacers is not allowed with the MMM, the wheels are moving out 2" and the mower is stationary, how does this effect the mowers?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I don't understand why adding wheel spacers is not allowed with the MMM, the wheels are moving out 2" and the mower is stationary, how does this effect the mowers?
The main concern is the gauge wheels on the deck and the possibility that they come into contact with the rear tires at some point during the vertical travel. I haven't installed my spacers or used my MMM yet as I got my tractor in December, but once I get everything on in the spring I will report back with the status.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Might work with the 60" MMM but not the 72" version because the tires will hit the gage wheels.

SDT

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
UPDATE:
Tractor has been purchased, FEL 60" bucket, Grapple, and Backhoe, my CFO/Landscape director says she doesn't want a MMM, we only cut 1/2 acre of grass now and she is fine with the small garden tractor, the rest is wooded. I'm good with that and it saved me $3K
Right now the larger tires are on it and yes it does look great, leave them on or switch to the smaller tires?
dealer says it's no problem, I just have to give him an answer in a couple of days.

I did read a few things about this online, it sounds like you give up some ground torque with the larger tires, and a little bit of perceived stability. Thoughts?

Bob M

On a second note, it pays to shop, dealer 1.5 hrs south of me full choke Kubota online pricing no dealing whatsoever, local dealer took $2k off Kubota online pricing, and a suicide knob, and first filter/oil 50hrs service.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
UPDATE:
Tractor has been purchased, FEL 60" bucket, Grapple, and Backhoe, my CFO/Landscape director says she doesn't want a MMM, we only cut 1/2 acre of grass now and she is fine with the small garden tractor, the rest is wooded. I'm good with that and it saved me $3K
Right now the larger tires are on it and yes it does look great, leave them on or switch to the smaller tires?
dealer says it's no problem, I just have to give him an answer in a couple of days.

I did read a few things about this online, it sounds like you give up some ground torque with the larger tires, and a little bit of perceived stability. Thoughts?

Bob M

On a second note, it pays to shop, dealer 1.5 hrs south of me full choke Kubota online pricing no dealing whatsoever, local dealer took $2k off Kubota online pricing, and a suicide knob, and first filter/oil 50hrs service.
As stated above, the disadvantages of the oversized tires outweigh the advantages in my opinion.

SDT

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I investigated this issue thoroughly before buying my B3350.

The larger tires (R4s or R14Ts) look impressive but have several disadvantages, especially for the 2650/2610.

As previously mentioned, the optional oversized tires preclude the use of a MMM, which is not compatible with the SU model anyway. Tire chains are also precluded due to spacing issues with the fenders.

Steering stops are also required increasing turning radius.

Finally, and most important for 2650/2610 models, the oversized tires increase travel speed requiring more HP. Of course, if the tires are loaded, the loaded, oversized tires add even more weight requiring even more HP.

I bought a ROPS model which is available with the optional, oversized tires but found the disadvantages far outweighed the advantages even ignoring cost.

SDT
I know most are "pro" big tires, but I have to agree here, we aren't talking a 60 or 70 horsepower tractor, the larger tires would be like going from 4:11 to 3:55 gears in a car, ( extreme example). I have the smaller tires with my 2610SU and don't see any drawbacks. Just sayin'.
IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I like the look of the larger tires but I feel the standard tires are a better choice from a functionality standpoint.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If there's a torque issue, I haven't noticed it. The larger wheel/tire width/diameter certainly adds a lot of rear ballast weight if you have them filled, and that ballast won't affect your FEL or 3PH capacity at all. If I was having a tractor drag race, then maybe I'd worry about the slight difference made by the larger tires and heavier ballast, but considering ground clearance and weight was my target, they're perfect for me. I'm not sure that more ground torque is going to help if I already have enough to stall the engine or spin all four tires on flat dry soil when pulling something stubborn. You'll just spin your smaller tires sooner because you don't have the mass for the traction despite having a slightly higher torque applied at the ground. What's the point of having another 10 or 20 ft-lbs if the tractor doesn't have the mass to use it? The larger, heavier, wider tire is going to work a little better on softer surfaces simply because it has more tread contact with that surface. if you're on a hard flat surface, it isn't likely that a lot of torque is going to be needed because you typically aren't pulling anything hard to move on such a surface. I'm pretty sure I'll run out of engine RPM (governor) long before I run out of the additional horsepower needed if I'm driving at top speed. I don't operate on the road (requires a tag and STRICTLY on-road diesel in Alabama if you do). I'm not sure I'd want to be at top speed on a little tractor anyway. It ain't a Ferrari, and running that fast with lifted loads (the county/state frowns on dragging attachments down the road) is probably not the wisest choice of operation. Stability? They're big, they're fat, and they're HEAVY. Despite raising the COG sligthly, the additional weight/width seems to compensate for that increase quite nicely. At first, I was a little worried about the height, but have found it to be less of a factor than I feared because of the weight. As far as turning radius is concerned, I'm quite pleased with what I have. I have too many obstacles to worry about it being a problem anyway, and worse come to worst, there's always a cutting brake maneuver. That's why I have two brake pedals, isn't it? My preference isn't for everyone, but I can't see why someone that doesn't have the big tires would call them a disadvantage. I don't think I'll run out of enough torque to climb any incline I'd dare put the tractor on, and since I don't get in any tractor races, I'm not sure the increased speed is gonna benefit me either. It has three ranges, after all, and the Low Range will make it plenty strong on any terrain. I might be able to outrun you in Low range, but is that an advantage? Not in my opinion, unless Low Range Drag Racing is the objective. That isn't what I bought a tractor for.

The ONE possible disadvantage that I've found so far is that the 3PH links seem to be a bit short, and lift my box blade going over even a slight crown (front to rear) and will actually aggravate that crown and wants to create small hills instead of levelling. Pushing backward a couple times, or skimming with the FEL usually resolves that problem, though. I do like the ground clearance because I have MANY stumps and holes on my property (which I intend to remedy) as well as some pretty rough terrain that I don't want to get hung on as I progress with my landscaping projects.

The large R14's were my decision at no extra cost because I originally wanted to put the BH77 on it. I wanted all the help I can get to avoid dragging it when loading/unloading from my trailer. If you don't want them or don't need the features they offer, then they're not for you, but I don't think that makes them any kind of disadvantage. Lack of need is not a disadvantage, and I can't imagine you not being able to pull anything with a LX2610 in normal applications for a compact tractor. If you can't pull whatever you're trying to move because of tire size, you probably needed a bigger tractor, especially if you're going to be doing that on a regular basis.

Reactions: 3 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
It all comes down to your expected uses as you did an excellent job of explaining. To some, the increased turning radius may not be worth the added ground clearance and extra room for liquid ballast, but for others it may. Since I have the MMM, it made my decision an easy one as there was only one option.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It all comes down to your expected uses as you did an excellent job of explaining. To some, the increased turning radius may not be worth the added ground clearance and extra room for liquid ballast, but for others it may. Since I have the MMM, it made my decision an easy one as there was only one option.
Agreed.

The increased turning radius, increased cost for tires and steering stops, and inability to use tire chains are significant disadvantages for me.

The increased effective gearing simply worsens the situation even for my significantly more powerful B3350.

SDT