Looking to buy b2650 or b2601 *pictures inside!

SpartanOrange

Equipment
Kubota B2650HST, 60" QA bucket, 60"mmm, 60"box blade, & 3rd function valve.
Mar 1, 2016
Southern mid Michigan
Hello Orange enthusiasts!
Ive been researching to buy a new kubota so naturally that means i've also been scouring the interwebs devouring as much info as possible. After all, research is fun (and free)!

I have 4 acres, 2.5 woods & 1.5 lawn, with a small pond. Initially, I was looking at something small and capable (bx) to mow, but somehow my interest has escalated into the b2650. I've managed to talk myself into "needing" a bigger machine to perform such tasks as maintaining my wind ravaged woods, grading and leveling my lawn & driveway, and removing snow.

I'd like the b2650 (ROPS version) set up with 60" mmm, front loader with QA 60" bucket, 3rd function valve for front loader (future grapple!), 54" box blade, and loaded rear tires.

I think I'm on the right path with the 2650. I know a smaller machine would probably do me just fine, but everything i've read indicates to go as big as one can. This thing will have to be future proof and it had better darn well last me 30+ years.

See attached pictures of my property.

Attachments

AJW

Apr 16, 2015
Canada
Hi, I too was looking between those 2 models (actually I was also looking at the L2501 too). I think if you're looking at the b2650 because of size and capability you may as well go with the L2501 because there is virtually no price difference. For me it was really between the L2501 and B2601 but was ultimately swayed to the smaller B2601 because is didn't want the L taking up my whole garage and wanted the mid PTO.

A lot of people say bigger is better and that may be true to a point but my previous equipment was an older backhoe and while it worked great for certain things, for precise landscaping it was like trying to do surgery with a spoon. It made more of a mess it was able to clean up. Of course that may have been the operator as well but so far I'm loving the size of the 2601. I don't particularly buy in to the bigger is better theory. I say buy the size for what you'll be doing 90% of the time. The other 10% may be easily handled by a smaller rig but at a slower pace, or simply hire it out.

My machine has a loader and 48" box blade and has no issues pushing a foot of snow down my 350' driveway. I can't speak for the mowing or brush cutting capabilities yet since I've only had it since December. It doesn't take up my whole garage bay and is super comfortable. The seating position, adjustable seat and steering is perfect for me and my only complaint so far is i prefer the JD dual pedal setup over the treadle but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker.

I have roughly the same property style as yours. I have 350' driveway that'll need grading and snow clearing. Roughly 1 acre to mow with an additional 5 acres that needs some clearing and brush cutting. I also have a whole bunch of dirt piles to spread and the entire yard needs landscaping (I built a new house).

Good luck in your decision!

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Ive got 3 acres, no woods but I do use the tractor to collect firewood.

I went with the 2650 over the L series because I wanted the Mid PTO. I didn't need the capacity the L brought to the table because my previous tractor was smaller than what I have now and I had no FEL. So I am already ahead of what I had. It pulls a 5' box scraper loaded full and has no issues with the 6' rear blade. I purchased a 60" mmm deck and am in the process of getting it mounted between snow storms.

I palletize my firewood by making cages from welded wire fence, then splitting and tossing into the cages. Tractor handles them no problems. Rear tires are loaded with 50/50 water and propylene glycol.

We also set 600' off the road and have a 100x100 parking area up near the house. I am in the process of rebuilding it all with crushed asphalt and the tractor is making light work of that as well.

Its the perfect sized machine for our property.

SpartanOrange

Equipment
Mar 1, 2016
Southern mid Michigan
Hi, I too was looking between those 2 models (actually I was also looking at the L2501 too). I think if you're looking at the b2650 because of size and capability you may as well go with the L2501 because there is virtually no price difference. For me it was really between the L2501 and B2601 but was ultimately swayed to the smaller B2601 because is didn't want the L taking up my whole garage and wanted the mid PTO.

A lot of people say bigger is better and that may be true to a point but my previous equipment was an older backhoe and while it worked great for certain things, for precise landscaping it was like trying to do surgery with a spoon. It made more of a mess it was able to clean up. Of course that may have been the operator as well but so far I'm loving the size of the 2601. I don't particularly buy in to the bigger is better theory. I say buy the size for what you'll be doing 90% of the time. The other 10% may be easily handled by a smaller rig but at a slower pace, or simply hire it out.

My machine has a loader and 48" box blade and has no issues pushing a foot of snow down my 350' driveway. I can't speak for the mowing or brush cutting capabilities yet since I've only had it since December. It doesn't take up my whole garage bay and is super comfortable. The seating position, adjustable seat and steering is perfect for me and my only complaint so far is i prefer the JD dual pedal setup over the treadle but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker.

I have roughly the same property style as yours. I have 350' driveway that'll need grading and snow clearing. Roughly 1 acre to mow with an additional 5 acres that needs some clearing and brush cutting. I also have a whole bunch of dirt piles to spread and the entire yard needs landscaping (I built a new house).

Good luck in your decision!
AJW thank you for your input and considerations. It sounds like you've got your self a nice new Kubota (and a nice new house)!
I hadn't really considered the L because, unless I am mistaken, they dont have the mid mount mower capability. I think I prefer the MMM to the tow begind mowing deck for ease of use on my small mowing lot.
I do have a bit of a concern with the B series as a mower. I wonder if turning radius and maneuvering the machine around trees will be difficult (compared to something smaller). I have read a lot of reviews of happy owners that use both the b2601 and 2650 to mow. I suppose, I can accept that it may take a little bit longer to mow, but I will have one machine that can handle all of my needs.
I did see that the 2601 and 2650 have different types of MMMs, I will have to do more research on the differences and pros/cons of each.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
To my understanding there isn't much "on paper" difference between the 2601 and the 2650. The 2650 nets you a nicer seat and a tilt wheel. Both are worth it I believe. I think the loader for the 2650 has the level indicator over the 2601 loader. Mine does anyway and it's about useless.

If you want to save about $1500 go for the 2601. The extras were worth it to me and it also adds to resale if/when I need to upgrade.

Sent from a field

SpartanOrange

Equipment
Mar 1, 2016
Southern mid Michigan
eipo, thanks for weighing in, and with a picture. Thats a nice looking Kubota!
I think I agree with you, the b2601 is a well equipped machine, but I'm likely willing to spend a bit more for the extras found in the 2650.
Im hoping to make a purchase in a few weeks. Im in process of getting to know the local dealers.

..I know my wife is ready from me to buy so I will be outside on the machine where she wont have to listen to me go on and on about Kubota this, and tractor that.

Reactions: 1 user

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yeah, buy once and all that....

What dealer are you working with?

SpartanOrange

Equipment
Mar 1, 2016
Southern mid Michigan
Yeah, buy once and all that....

What dealer are you working with?
Williams Farm Equipment in Charlotte is the closest. I've been talking with Seyberts in Coldwater too. They have seemed the most interested in helping answer my questions. I had also reached out the the dealer in Dewitt, and Rosy Bros in Dryden.

At the risk of sounding like a creeper ill admit to reading the thread "Yet another new member looking for a rec"(http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22642) It looks like you made a good deal with Williams.
Coincidentally, I am near the Grand Ledge area too. Nice to see that there are lots of other happy Kubota owners nearby.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
The 2601 has a drive over mm mower deck like my B2620. I love that.
And it mows great. I have lots of trees and obstacles and it does great. Doesn't tear the lawn up. (my yard is sand based.)

I also fully agree with AJW. Bigger is not always better. My little B is perfect for my 300 foot driveway snow blowing, 2 acres of lawn cutting and the 21 acres of bush I work for firewood. And it was cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap to operate.

AJW

Apr 16, 2015
Canada
To my understanding there isn't much "on paper" difference between the 2601 and the 2650. The 2650 nets you a nicer seat and a tilt wheel. Both are worth it I believe. I think the loader for the 2650 has the level indicator over the 2601 loader. Mine does anyway and it's about useless.

If you want to save about $1500 go for the 2601. The extras were worth it to me and it also adds to resale if/when I need to upgrade.

Sent from a field
The B2650 is slightly bigger, slightly larger engine (same output though), quite a bit heavier which will affect mowing capabilities (tears up the yard a bit more when turning) and although the tractor itself is only $1500 more, the loader is more as well. It was a $2500 difference when all was said and done. As far as the seat goes, the 2601 is a high back, has armrests, is super comfortable and it also has a tilt steering wheel. No level indicator though, which is annoying, its on my to-do list.

That being said, go check them all out which it sounds like you're doing anyways. I'm by no means a B2601 fanboy, I think everyone should do their due diligence and buy what they think will suit them best. For me the extra cost and marginal capability increase of the B2650 wasn't justified so I bought the B2601 :) To others it may be worth while, especially if you can find one for roughly the same price. The B2601 is fairly new so if you could find a B2650 that's a year old and get a deal? I'd jump on that for sure.

And you are correct, there is no Mid-PTO on the L2501 which was a deal breaker for me as well.

And for a comparison study, John Deere's 2025R, outfitted the same as the B2601 was over $5000 difference plus they wanted 20% down instead of 10%. Both had 0% financing. It was an easy decision as Kubota had quite a few more niceties that the Deere didn't have. Like 3-range HST, cruise, tilt-wheel, arm-rests, more hp, better loader, and on and on...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The 2601 really narrowed the gap between the 2620 and 2650 and is a nice tractor. The 2650 puts out max power at 2500, 2800 for the 2601, has bigger tires and as mentioned there is a significant length and width difference and should ride smoother. The turning radius looks to be the same.

I'd get the 2650 personally, but the 2601 is a nice tractor as well.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Spartan Orange. I too was looking at the B2601 and B2650. I chose the B2650. I chose it due to larger loader capacity,longer wheel base for a better ride and wider stance for more stability. I got mine set up the same way with loader and 60" QA bucket,and 60"mmm. As a retired heavy equipment operator I have run hundreds of different pieces of equipment. I have been very impressed with the capabilities of this machine with over 180 hrs logged on the machine since last June. I mow 1.5 acres with the mmm and I mow 4 acres out back with a Landpride 72" 3 pt hitch finish mower. Couple of things to think about. I got mine with turf tires and have been very happy with them. I like the turfs for mowing and snow removal and have worked out great out back mowing even thru some pretty wet spots. I have used them out back with 72" box blade on food plots with no problem at all. It is unreal how much bigger the turfs are than the R4s. It doesn't even look like the same tractor. They are not for every application but work great for everything I do. As far as loading the tires. I talked to my dealer about it and decided against due to all the extra weight for mowing my yard in early spring and wet times. Other than that I would have. I instead fabbed up a ballast box to use when I need weight for loader work. The bucket level indicator works great also. Not sure why Eipo doesn't like his unless his is not adjusted properly which mine was not from the factory. There are 4 of us all have B2650 in my town and all of us love them. Any other questions feel free to ask.

View attachment 20885

View attachment 20886

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
The bucket level indicator works great also. Not sure why Eipo doesn't like his unless his is not adjusted properly which mine was not from the factory.
I know its not adjusted properly as it does not indicate level like I am used to seeing on the older equipment we have where I work that have similar mechanical indicators.

I'm used to using the top of the bucket to indicate level, which is what we have to do when the newer electrical systems give out, so that's what I do with the tractor. The Kubota level indicator looks like an assignment given to a wet behind the ears engineer with to much time on his/her hands. Would have been ALOT simpler to have a single rod mounted on the front of the arm and attached to one of the bucket pins.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Just trying to be helpful here. There are 2 places on the bucket level indicator you can look at. You can look at the tabs that line up half way down the assembly and you can adjust it so that the inner rod with the taper on it lines up with the taper on the outer holder. When the two meet your bucket is level. When you do this it is only 2 ft from the operator and very easy to see.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't take my post as being confrontational, I just look at that mess and think about the engineers I work with that were never taught KISS.

Sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Kidd, did you mount your mower or did your dealer?

Sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Williams Farm Equipment in Charlotte is the closest. I've been talking with Seyberts in Coldwater too. They have seemed the most interested in helping answer my questions. I had also reached out the the dealer in Dewitt, and Rosy Bros in Dryden.

At the risk of sounding like a creeper ill admit to reading the thread "Yet another new member looking for a rec"(http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22642) It looks like you made a good deal with Williams.
Coincidentally, I am near the Grand Ledge area too. Nice to see that there are lots of other happy Kubota owners nearby.
Williams beat Capital by $500 on the exact same package. And they had one in stock where Capital would have had to order.

Service after has been top notch as well. Jeff Pullum has been out a couple times, once to drop off a can of grey paint for some scratches I found after he delivered my tractor and again last week because I am having some interference issues between the mower linkage and the brake linkage on the tractor. He looked over everything I had done, compared to the directions and cant see where the problem is arising so he offered to come pick it up and have the service guys get the mower mounted. I'm off work for the next 2-3 weeks after a knee surgery so I offered to bring it to them (I'm only about 10 minutes away) when he offered to have the service guy come here and do it in my garage. Hard to shake a stick at that.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Eipo. The dealer installed loader and mmm. I am pretty familiar with it if you have any questions

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Something isn't right with mine. Following the instructions has the right rear mount for the deck hitting the brake linkage. I cant see, and neither can the salesman, where I'm making a mistake. The mounts are side specific as are the brackets that go on the 3 point arms. The "pin" that goes through the frame is also side specific in relation to the mounts, so it can only go on 1 right way.....

I fiddled with it for a couple hours one day before throwing in the towel and calling my dealer.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Eipo. I would be glad to take pics of my deck which is off and my tractor mounts tomorrow and send to you if you want.