Looking to buy a BX23s

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not a fan of rimguard or any other liquid in the tires.
Me neither. After getting a puncture with liquid in my BX rear tire. I had already had my front tires foam filled. Followed up by getting the rear tires foam filled after that puncture. Filled, each rear tire weighed about 180 pounds.

Being the father in law that I am, when my son in law bought a B23S last fall, I offered to pay half of the cost to get his tires foam filled (OK, I'm cheap I guess, but figured if he did not contribute, he would not appreciate the result as much, ha ha). Also bought him a set of 2" rear spacers as a "tractor warming" present. This combination adds a lot of stability to a BX.

All the stability issues/concerns are related to moving on cross slopes though. The OP just mentioned a driveway, which normally is an up/down movement. So my comments may not relate to his/her needs...

Edit: except that the extra weight does really help increase traction when needed...

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had rim guard in my BX22 for 17 years, and never a problem, except for the rubber valve stems that Kubota installed, dry rotting, and then start leaking. Laid the tire on the ground with the valve stem up, and broke the bead, installed new metal valve stems, inflated, and problem solved. The hardest thing was to get the tire properly located to put the bolts back into the axle.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: All the stability issues/concerns are related to moving on cross slopes though.

Now we all KNOW that's a bad way to travel however if you have a BH out back, lower the legs to say '7 oclock' or 6" off the ground.
Naturally raise them BEFORE trying to get through the narrow stand of trees......

BadAndy

Equipment
BX23s TLB-BX2822A Snow blower-LP BB-HLA Forks-Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Update...
Went to look at the BX23s, it's a sexy piece of equipment... Looks like i'm going with the box blade - front mount snow blower and BH thumb, i'll get the belly mower over the winter as I still have the lawn tractor until I sell it this fall.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Not sure what discounts are being given nowadays but you may save some money buying the deck when you purchase the tractor!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
salesman asked me if I wanted the MMM, I said no thanks..I use an old Cub Cadet( bought from him,2 decades ago) for 'grass clippin'......For the price of the MMM, I can buy 3 or 4 used mowers and NOT have the pain of install/remove the MMM. In 3 years I've never had BH or loader off. I did make a SSQA Sp Snowblower.might need to use it today if it don't stop snowing !!! arrgh.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
salesman asked me if I wanted the MMM, I said no thanks..I use an old Cub Cadet( bought from him,2 decades ago) for 'grass clippin'......For the price of the MMM, I can buy 3 or 4 used mowers and NOT have the pain of install/remove the MMM. In 3 years I've never had BH or loader off. I did make a SSQA Sp Snowblower.might need to use it today if it don't stop snowing !!! arrgh.
At first I said no to the mower deck also! Then I thought about all that money just sitting there in between projects and waiting for snow. Well I got the mower deck and now I mow my lawn in style! No regrets! Everyones situation is different!

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Not sure what discounts are being given nowadays but you may save some money buying the deck when you purchase the tractor!
My initial thought was to get the belly mower first, then the snow blower in the fall... But the front mount snow blower is expensive so I decided to package the blower with the tractor and buy the mower cash over the winter... Maybe even find a used one for sale. :)

Papaswormfarm.net

May 24, 2021
Climax NC
The BX23S will not have a problem with those grades, in low...up you go, even with full bucket of fill. I do that at my neighbour's new house build. Bought mine 3 years ago,have about 500 hrs on it.
Have made a SSQA selfpowered 48" SB to replace my c/b snowrider. too old and beat up for a rear blower,and I didn't like the $$ for a front mtd one. It's a 'work in progress' .
As for pricing... I got mine, SSQA loader and 3PH kit, 'out the door' for less than 24K Canucks. Get them to to toss in the '50 hour' oil/filter change in the deal. See if they'll throw in an airfilter as well.There's a bolton 'edge' for the bucket,$100+-, see if they'll toss it in as well. I made my own Pirhana bar as I do a LOT of mulch moving,compost turning.
Buy yourself a NEW 'Kubota only' grease gun, 6 tubes of grease and dedicate a shelf for parts.
Find or make a 'filter screen ' for the fuel tank inlet !! Consider upgrading the OEM filter system ! I bought a 'filter with shutoff' from Kubota..will install..one day... This replaces the PITA primary filter( NO shutoff..).
Pretty sure it'll come with the HST fan guard, mine did.
I've never had the loader of BH off, did buy an HLA 900# pallet fork unit. it's been a GREAT tool to have.
Thanks for sharing Jay. This helped me too. As I’m in process of starting a worm farm. Lots of mulch and compost turning. I certainly can relate.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Update #2 (Note* this is in Canada)
Still waiting on my BX23s (should be in by end of June). Spoke to my salesman who said my prices were locked in from the quote only to find out that now that whoever they get the tractor from may charge an extra 15%... The wait is painful but I understand. The possible 15% extra charge really pisses me off to the point I have started to look elsewhere and possibly a different brand. I know I'm peanuts to them as I'm not buying a 80000 - 100000 piece of equipment but I am getting a front commercial snow blower - Boxblade - and next spring a 60" MMM. A little annoyed and bummed out. My salesman seems like a nice guy but what is going on behind the scenes I don't know. :(

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Still waiting on my BX23s (should be in by end of June). Spoke to my salesman who said my prices were locked in from the quote only to find out that now that whoever they get the tractor from may charge an extra 15%... The wait is painful but I understand. The possible 15% extra charge really pisses me off to the point I have started to look elsewhere and possibly a different brand. I know I'm peanuts to them as I'm not buying a 80000 - 100000 piece of equipment but I am getting a front commercial snow blower - Boxblade - and next spring a 60" MMM. A little annoyed and bummed out. My salesman seems like a nice guy but what is going on behind the scenes I don't know. :(
Unfortunate that is what is going on currently. Here is where your dealer does the right thing or not by honoring his quote.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
They know they can sell it for that 15% to someone else. I would call Kubota corporate and file a complaint. Going up in price after an initial agreed upon amount is ridiculous.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
I rented a BX23s from Home Depot for a day to see how it would work. Also opted for a B2601 because the 23 got jerked around a bit much when removing stumps. They are both great machines.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
The market is going nutty with everything. Supply and demand are way off with so much stuff.
OP: any chance of playing hardball with the dealer? try to make them eat half the 15%? probably not I bet. Whatever your choice, you'll be happy. Hold out for the machine if you can, it's worth it.
Was your quote below/at/or above the Kubota.com price?
I was lucky with mine, this time last year in the middle of the pandemic I got 2 quotes: one was 1K above list, one was 1K below list. Still had to wait 4 months for it though. Grease zerks missed and the front diff was void of oil. 🤪

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Was it just a quote, or a signed sales agreement?

You might have a case if it is a signed agreement, i.e, a contract.

If just a number quoted for informational purposes, I suppose not. Been so long since I bought my tractors I don't remember how the process works...

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Was it just a quote, or a signed sales agreement?

You might have a case if it is a signed agreement, i.e, a contract.

If just a number quoted for informational purposes, I suppose not. Been so long since I bought my tractors I don't remember how the process works...
Unfortunately nothing signed, just a quote... I'm hoping for the best, we shall see in a few days.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
The market is going nutty with everything. Supply and demand are way off with so much stuff.
OP: any chance of playing hardball with the dealer? try to make them eat half the 15%? probably not I bet. Whatever your choice, you'll be happy. Hold out for the machine if you can, it's worth it.
Was your quote below/at/or above the Kubota.com price?
I was lucky with mine, this time last year in the middle of the pandemic I got 2 quotes: one was 1K above list, one was 1K below list. Still had to wait 4 months for it though. Grease zerks missed and the front diff was void of oil. 🤪
I'm hoping we can work something out if it does get to that, going to cross my fingers and see what happens in the next few days.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
I rented a BX23s from Home Depot for a day to see how it would work. Also opted for a B2601 because the 23 got jerked around a bit much when removing stumps. They are both great machines.
I was looking at the B2601 as well... but I need something smaller like the BX to get in tight spaces.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
They know they can sell it for that 15% to someone else. I would call Kubota corporate and file a complaint. Going up in price after an initial agreed upon amount is ridiculous.
Yup... next man up... I did call Kubota to get info, they said it was ok for them to charge extra... But I believe its the middle man that may ask for the 15%

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yup... next man up... I did call Kubota to get info, they said it was ok for them to charge extra... But I believe its the middle man that may ask for the 15%
Yep, the manufacturer doesn’t care what the dealer sells it for, they are still getting their x amount of dollars regardless. Your dealer nor Kubota created the current market, but it is what it is. You want the tractor ASAP, then pay it and start off with a good dealer relationship.

Or cancel the order and go start the process over at another dealer/brand. Maybe get what you want at a better/same/worse deal 🤷‍♂️ Would you choose another brand just out of spite because of one Kubota dealer trying to keep up with a market nobody has ever seen before? This is a sellers market right now.

I choose option C, but my situation is different.