Looking For a 3 Point Hitch Attachment With a Trailering Ball

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
Just like the title says. I did my due diligence and searched the topic. All I can find are bars that attach to the 3 point hitch with only a trailer ball. Looking for something that has a few more options. Saw storage would be nice. Really want to weigh out my options, but I can't search on google for something that I don't know the name of. :ROFLMAO:

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
And no, I don't know how to weld. I would like to learn, but not the right time just now.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't know if this was handmade or commercially made, however, it checks off all the boxes of what I would want in a 3-point hitch adapter. I saw this picture this morning and saved it so I could duplicate it when I get my welder accessible again. Presently it is buried behind a lot of other things.

Draw_Bar.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Check these guys out, a few options

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
1712433340219.png

Just pulled the trigger on this guy. Still open to recommendations though. Marketed as a log skidder. Which I need as well...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
Well, the one pictured above is what I just purchased. I am a little worried as I have heard that our 3 point hitches do not have any "run forward" pressure on them. So if you are going down a hill with something that is trailered, the trailered item could possibly run into the tractor. Something I am aware of, and I will be very cautious of. But I like how the above mentioned implement is made for hauling logs. That's something that I am also in need of...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well, the one pictured above is what I just purchased. I am a little worried as I have heard that our 3 point hitches do not have any "run forward" pressure on them. So if you are going down a hill with something that is trailered, the trailered item could possibly run into the tractor. Something I am aware of, and I will be very cautious of. But I like how the above mentioned implement is made for hauling logs. That's something that I am also in need of...
Simple fix for that.
Put a clevis on the drawbar and run a chain up to limit the lift on the three point to eliminate damage to the tractor.
Like in this model:

1712436289033.png

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
County line? TSC brand.
20140905_123006.jpg

20140905_123017.jpg

Extra reciever parts from Harbor Freight.

i7win7

Equipment
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Another option is a ballast box, many have 2" reciever on the bottom.
20170819_154133.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

i7win7

Equipment
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
DIY, when you can't weld. NOTE: not quick hitch compatible.
20200422_155915.jpg

20200422_155949.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Skidding logs like this worries me as it can flip the tractor if the log catches something like a root or rock or digs down into the dirt.

I think the log should be towed from a lower point such as the drawbar… And the log’s leading-end should be carried off the ground.

IMG_2628.jpeg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Skidding logs like this worries me as it can flip the tractor if the log catches something like a root or rock or digs down into the dirt.

I think the log should be towed from a lower point such as the drawbar… And the log’s leading-end should be carried off the ground.

View attachment 125808
Good day.

How would you tow from draw bar and keep the leading end up off the ground? What does that rigging / set up look like? If you have a pic that would be appreciated. ☕

I’ve thought about a log arch or winch, but just not pulled the trigger, yet. 😉

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

View attachment 125808
I just got a skidding winch (which is sweet BTW) but before that use a variety of stuff on the 3 point of various tractors to skid logs, most commonly either a drawbar or pond scoop.

There are a couple of options depending on preference and circumstance.

One is pull low and leave the log on the ground. Using a scrap car hood or something similar to keep the front of the log from digging in is helpful with that method. You are correct, potential for getting caught on relatively immovable objects is a potential peril of that method. If those are numerous or unavoidable, probably should consider doing something different. Also, skidding on a tractor is not a high speed endeavor. Catch a stump at 3mph: irritating. Catch a stump at 12mph; something probably broke and if you’re lucky you can fix it after you recover from eating the steering wheel.

Another method is to use the three point to lift the front of the log off the ground. That minimizes damage to both the ground and log as well as avoids the potential for hanging up on immovable objects. Pulling high creates the potential for backward rollover or loss of steering due to front end lifting. If the front end is off the ground or too light to steer, you can still steer with the brakes so that’s not a real problem. Rolling over backward is a real problem. Another situation where speed is not your friend. You better know what your plan is if the tractor starts rotating around the back wheels; hit the clutch, lift off the HST pedal, and simultaneously drop the lift would be the most obvious for the ones I’ve skidded with. And to help mitigate the rear rollover risk, don’t lift the log any higher than you have to. Front weight helps quite a lot with the rear rollover as well.

The pond scoop was actually pretty good at combining those two methods. Have the open end facing backward and set the top link long so it would fit in backing up and slide on the ground going forward. Back it under the end of log(s) to lift them, then chain to the top of the frame. When things are going well (flat ground) run with the front of the log lifted. Things not going so well (pulling hard and front end too high) drop the scoop and let it drag the ground for a bit.

I generally stay away from this topic, even though I’ve done quite a bit of skidding with tractors, because it can be done, but it ain’t exactly mowing a flat field. It isn’t flying a plane either, but if you’re going to do it you better have your brain in gear and not be prone to panic if things start going squirrely. Because of that, I hesitate to recommend or discuss this topic on a public forum.

Only reason I’m posting this now is that picture you posted of the guy on the JD happily dragging a log chained to a trailer mover on the three point. I don’t know whoever that is so I am not making a general statement about him, but what he’s doing in that picture is absolutely stupid. He’s combined the downsides of not lifting the front of the log with the downsides of pulling high to successfully maximize his risk for an adverse outcome. He’s left the log on the ground so it can catch on immovable objects and is pulling high so if it does catch, the tractor is highly likely to attempt a backward rollover. THAT guy is exactly the type operator that should NOT be skidding logs with a tractor. And if that’s the way he routinely thinks about the physics of equipment operation, he should restrict his operation to mowing flat fields. Hopefully that was a one off bad moment he was having.

Again, mostly in case that’s you or someone you know, not saying the guy on the JD is stupid in general, but what he’s doing there is stupid and dangerous and unnecessary and totally the wrong way to skid logs.

Edit: And if you want or need to move logs with a tractor at 10mph: trailer or log arch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've bought welders for less than what #14 cost in parts from the store !
#15 is a GREAT way to kill yourself ! front end of log find gopher hole,rotate forward fast, REAL FAST, hits driver on head, wife's a widow. At least he's carrying a flag with him.

With 3PH lowered, chain around the TOP ball, lift 3PH high, THEN go. Best(?) height is top of log just below the lower bar. Allows a little front-back movement,and some side sway..

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
I found several of the 3 point hitch receivers on Amazon priced from $45 to $250.

I have a latch that fits on my lift arm and covers the drawbar and keeps the drawbar from turning. I don't use it often, but it's nice when I need it. And my feeble mind won't remember where I bought it.