Leave engine running?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I keep it simple.
Short stop I let it idle. More than a few minutes I shut it off.
Lubrication. I pull the dip stick. If the black stuff is at the mark I assume lubrication will be as it should be,

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"That's why most journal bearing wear occurs at startup and shutdown." From The Old Hokie

This is soooooooo true - starting and stop an engine is were 95% of ALL wear is created.

My physics professor in high school said - if you could start a car's engine and allow it to run non stop and STILL be able to do all the oil changes and other maintenance while running......... it would last forever!!!

Someone should invent a "pump" that runs on 12 volts - that you press for 10 seconds (much like a glow plug) and it primes all the oil passages until the mechanical pump turns over.

All the new cars that are saving gas while coming to a stop ....... can you imagine the wear on the starter and all the other parts?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
All the new cars that are saving gas while coming to a stop ....... can you imagine the wear on the starter and all the other parts?
This thread actually piqued my curiosity about how the industry is dealing with that start/stop issue. It isnt something they could ignore.

Bigger badder starters and computerized engine management to pick and chose when and were start/stop operates is pretty easy. But how are they dealing with the journal bearing problem? Looks like two principal technologies:

1. Bearing materials - principally polymer coatings. These coatings help protect the bearing and journal surfaces during the increased periods of mixed and boundary regime operation by toughening the bearing surface, reducing sliding friction, and adding lubricity.
  2. Lubricant formulation - principally incteased use of synthetic base stocks and improved AW additives at higher treat rates.
Both of those technolgies also have application in other moving parts like pistons and valve train parts that do not rely on hydrodynamic lubrication.

Better living through chemistry.

Dan

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
This thread actually piqued my curiosity about how the industry is dealing with that start/stop issue. It isnt something they could ignore.

Bigger badder starters and computerized engine management to pick and chose when and were start/stop operates is pretty easy. But how are they dealing with the journal bearing problem? Looks like two principal technologies:

1. Bearing materials - principally polymer coatings. These coatings help protect the bearing and journal surfaces during the increased periods of mixed and boundary regime operation by toughening the bearing surface, reducing sliding friction, and adding lubricity.
  2. Lubricant formulation - principally incteased use of synthetic base stocks and improved AW additives at higher treat rates.
Both of those technolgies also have application in other moving parts like pistons and valve train parts that do not rely on hydrodynamic lubrication.

Better living through chemistry.

Dan
I'm seeing molybdenum disulfide on all piston skirts these days.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
"That's why most journal bearing wear occurs at startup and shutdown." From The Old Hokie

This is soooooooo true - starting and stop an engine is were 95% of ALL wear is created.

My physics professor in high school said - if you could start a car's engine and allow it to run non stop and STILL be able to do all the oil changes and other maintenance while running......... it would last forever!!!

Someone should invent a "pump" that runs on 12 volts - that you press for 10 seconds (much like a glow plug) and it primes all the oil passages until the mechanical pump turns over.

I can recall hearing from more than one heavy equipment operator way back that the move from pony engine starting to electric starters made things quicker and easier for the operator but sure was hard on the engine main engine. With the pony motor start, the big motor turned over for several minutes, oil pump running, and everything got lubed up good before closing the compression release and firing the big engine. I tend to agree, but it sure is a lot easier to just turn the key and go.